Author Topic: Avast Forum redirecting to forum main page after page refresh  (Read 25474 times)

Offline Skakara

Re: Avast Forum redirecting to forum main page after page refresh
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
I once again edited the 1st post, added test 2 (below is a copy of it).

Test 2:

1) Make a bookmark to your browser from any topic page, e.g. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151424.0 and close the page/tab.

2) Wait 1-2 hours (I haven't tested which is the limit actually, but it's not that long since this problem occurs many times a day). Do NOT open/load any other avast forum pages during this waiting period!

3) Click/open the bookmark created in step 1.

= Browser is redirected the forum main page.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

David,
It's an issue I reported right after the forum restarted and the issue is still present.
There are some exceptions so it's sometimes a hit and miss situation.
Some email notification links go to the main forum page and some directly to the subject. ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Skakara

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »
Some email notification links go to the main forum page and some directly to the subject. ???
The reason, AFAIK, is the waiting period since last visit to any forum page. Try my tests and you'll see.

The reason: my "educated" guess is that the forum software checks the login credentials (avast account) after that 1 hour of inactivity and then redirects to the main page of the forum (e.g. this same thing happens when you first log in). So the forum software doesn't distinguish when a user is A) logging in B) continuing his/her session when previously logged in with "remember me" selected. The forum check periodically (cookie) that the user is logged in, and if there's a certain length of inactivity (no page loads -> the cookie is not updated -> cookie expires) the Avast account "verification" kicks in, and the result is that you're redirected to the main page. This is, like I said, my "educated" guess about what is happening ("black box testing", i.e. I can't see the internal workings of the system and have to make assumptions based on how the input & output of the system works).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:28:01 PM by Skakara »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
Wait 1-2 hours (I haven't tested which is the limit actually, but it's not that long since this problem occurs many times a day). Do NOT open/load any other avast forum pages during this waiting period!
While this might be true, it's most probably quite hard to find anyone testing it, if one has to wait that long. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Skakara

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
Wait 1-2 hours (I haven't tested which is the limit actually, but it's not that long since this problem occurs many times a day). Do NOT open/load any other avast forum pages during this waiting period!
While this might be true, it's most probably quite hard to find anyone testing it, if one has to wait that long. ;)
I noticed the wink, but still, you could do the test 2, with the waiting period while you sleep.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Sorry, but I'll skip.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Skakara

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
I noticed that the cookie (which I believe has the limit for when the forum checks the credentials again & does the redirecting) might not get updated even if you load/open pages in the forum. Which means that every 1 hour the credentials are checked and you're redirected away from topic pages to the main page.

I say this because just now when I got back to reply to Asyn's post, I was redirected although I visited the forum just few minutes ago.

Anyways, how ever the system may work, I suggest that the people responsible update the system so that links from e.g. emails, bookmarks, or page refreshes do go to the page intended, not to main page. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:47:34 PM by Skakara »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
Could you please add a sig..!?

Offline Skakara

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
Huh?  ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Huh?  ???
A signature, so we can see what HW/SW you use.

Offline Skakara

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
Well, I had a signature once, then when I came back to this forum after a while, I noticed that the info was way outdated, so I removed it. I don't see a point keeping a sig if the info is most of the time incorrect, and I'm not keen on the idea to update it regularly. If a post I make here requires any HW/SW info, I'll add it to that post/topic. This topic/post doesn't need any HW/SW info. /offtopic

Offline Skakara

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »
More personal testing.

Just when I came to answer Asyn, I was again redirected. After I posted the above reply I looked at the cookies. This cookie seems to be the one that activates the credentials lookup & redirection when it's expired:

forumavastcom

It's set to expire 1. July 2014 18:05:24 (seems to be exactly 1 hour after I came to post my previous message)

This cookie expire date/time doesn't change whatever page I load here in forum (EDIT: and it doesn't get updated even after a new post is made). So it's really like I guessed couple of messages back, the time limit is 1 hour for the cookie and when it expires, the credentials are checked and you're redirected away from topic pages to the main page.

I'll try to remember to refresh this page at around 18:00, and again 18:10 and see what happens on both times. I'll be back.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:22:39 PM by Skakara »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
1. I don't see a point keeping a sig if the info is most of the time incorrect, and I'm not keen on the idea to update it regularly.
2. If a post I make here requires any HW/SW info, I'll add it to that post/topic.
1. Shouldn't be too hard to update it once in a while. ;)
2. So, please add it here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »

David,
It's an issue I reported right after the forum restarted and the issue is still present.
Some email notification links go to the main forum page and some directly to the subject.<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

I don't use the email notifications of new replies to posts, etc. I just use the 'Show new replies to your posts.' and 'Show unread posts since last visit.' links at the top of the page. So I don't experience that, however, as I mentioned in a previous post, that on occasion clicking the 'Show new replies to your posts.' or 'Show unread posts since last visit.' it redirects to index.php, but this doesn't happen all of the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
This cookie seems to be the one that activates the credentials lookup & redirection when it's expired:

forumavastcom

It's set to expire 1. July 2014 18:05:24 (seems to be exactly 1 hour after I came to post my previous message)

This cookie expire date/time doesn't change whatever page I load here in forum (EDIT: and it doesn't get updated even after a new post is made). So it's really like I guessed couple of messages back, the time limit is 1 hour for the cookie and when it expires, the credentials are checked and you're redirected away from topic pages to the main page.

I'll try to remember to refresh this page at around 18:00, and again 18:10 and see what happens on both times. I'll be back.
Just like I expected. On 18:00 a page refresh to this page does just that, refreshes the page. On 18:10 page refresh redirects to main page. And the "forumavastcom" is now set to expire on: 1. July 2014 19:10:12.

Ok, now the mechanism what causes this annoyance is pretty much solved.

I urge others to test too. 1 hour (+5 minutes to be sure) without reading this forum can't be that difficult. Go out and jog, or watch a movie. ;)

Could somebody from Avast fix this please? Thank you. (Or do I've to start playing with stored cookies to avoid this issue?)