Author Topic: How do I add Avast scan on the context / popup menu (Right-click menu)?  (Read 16385 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: How do I add Avast scan on the context / popup menu (Right-click menu)?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »
I find this strange also. Especially that before I did a factory reset on the computer, I've had no issues with Avast,

Just curious, what was the reason for doing the "factory reset"?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 07:55:24 AM »
I find this strange also. Especially that before I did a factory reset on the computer, I've had no issues with Avast,

Windows wouldn't start up.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »

Windows wouldn't start up.

I can see why you did the "factory reset" in that case.  Windows not ever starting up sounds that you had a serious issue to begin with.

The reason I ask is because while the concept of restore points is good it's not so much however in practice.  I've had such bad luck with resetting back to restore points that I'm very reticent to even use them anymore.  My opinion is that it's usually better to try and tackle the problem you have directly as opposed to resorting to using a restore point to solve an issue.  The longer a computer is used and with that the more the changes that occur the greater the risk that using a restore point going very far back will potentially cause unexpected problems.  For example, the more additions or changes made to a computer the more the registry gets changed and the further the distance back that a restore point is used the more massive the reverse changes to the registry may have to be made or if not the more fragmented including a greater number of orphan entries that occur in the registry as a result of the restore point reset.

I wouldn't be at all surprise that the "factory reset" has caused the problem since depending upon how many changes you've made and how long you've used your computer that specific restore would likely be going back very far and as a result would presumably make relatively significant changes to the registry.  The Avast "clean install" should have under most circumstances fixed your problem but as a result of the "factory reset" this may have made such massive changes to the registry that the Avast installation is unable to make the necessary correct adjustments to the registry that is needed to imbed the Avast scanner function into the windows right/click context menu during the install. In other words, the Avast install will depend upon specific registry entries that may have been either unintentionally corrupted or totally removed as a result of the “factory reset” that in turn can potentially create problems for the Avast installation.

Again, hopefully the Avast "malware analyst" will come up with something for you.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »
Can this analyst help me out then please?

EDIT: It doesn't matter now, because for some strange reason, the feature has appeared on the right-click menu.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:55:57 PM by jamie64326 »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »
Can this analyst help me out then please?

EDIT: It doesn't matter now, because for some strange reason, the feature has appeared on the right-click menu.

Odd, so now it's reappeared.  Well that's good news anyway.  :)

Did you happen to do anything different?

Did you do a "cold" boot as opposed to a "warm" boot very recently?