Author Topic: Messed Up  (Read 70920 times)

CoJo

Re:Messed Up
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2003, 03:23:52 AM »
thanks for asking, technical!
everything is fine..except...I keep getting either the yahoo privacy alert and am now getting one from lycos...
sounds like a windows problem, doesn't it?

CoJo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2003, 03:53:05 AM »
thanks for asking, technical!
everything is fine..except...I keep getting either the yahoo privacy alert and am now getting one from lycos...
sounds like a windows problem, doesn't it?

CoJo

Please, do some cleaning:
Ad-aware
Spybot
BeClean
IE Privacy Keeper Very good for cleaning after the last IE windows closes...
Internet Sweeper

Install some protection:
SpyBlocker
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
WinPatrol

All of this applications could be installed in the same computer. Anyway, some of them do the same of the others. You can choose after what do you want to keep.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2003, 09:34:22 PM »
spyware guard is by far the best
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2003, 05:55:57 AM »
cojo,

I agree with MacLover.  Spyware Guard is an excellent program.
I would also recommend Spyware Blaster as an additional protection.
Both programs work great together.  SG runs resident and acts similar to an anti-virus but with spyware preventing a file from being used until the spyware is cleaned.

Spyware Blaster prevents the installation of spyware by setting a "kill bit" to prevent harmful Active X controls from being used on your system.

Another fine resident anti-spyware program is Spyblocker 4.75.  However, it is hard to find this freeware version.  Spyblocker is a multifunction program that blocks cookies, worms, bugs, ads, scripts (web pages only) and spyware.

These are the basics your system should have for sound protection:
Firewall
Anti-virus
Anti-spyware
Pop-up killer

Technical has taken the time to compile an excellent list of programs.
He can direct you to the page/s upon which you can find the programs you need.

*Since Avast Home does not provide protection against all Scripts, a third party program such as Script Defender or Script Sentry should be on the list.

Once you have these installed, you should be able to go about your internet stuff with some peace of mind.

Good luck,
techie
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 05:59:23 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2003, 01:12:13 PM »
My list of links will be updated soon: lots of new protection programs, broken links corrected and, if I could, redirect the user to the homepage and not for the download link.

Wait a litlle, this takes such time  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2003, 01:35:03 PM »
My list of links will be updated soon: lots of new protection programs, broken links corrected and, if I could, redirect the user to the homepage and not for the download link.  Wait a litlle, this takes such time  ;)

Your efforts on this forum are well appreciated.  Take all the time you need.....
Some things are worth waiting for!  A "K" for your efforts.

techie

CoJo

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2003, 03:13:19 PM »
Techie, thank you for your advice! I appreciate it so much :)

I have Avast! pro so have the scipt protection...I am now using ZA for my firewall--with XP firewall--SpyGuard and am learning how to use registry tools...some of them are very confusing so I will have to pick one that is easy to use :-[

You and so many others have been so helpful to me!

CoJo

techie101

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2003, 05:48:31 PM »

am learning how to use registry tools...some of them are very confusing so I will have to pick one that is easy to use :-

If you want to get your feet wet using Registry tools, try RegCleaner.
It is very simple and has some nice added features.
You can find it here:   www.jv16.org

Good luck
techie101
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 05:56:30 PM by techie101 »

bbfi

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2003, 08:17:42 PM »
Cojo,

I am now using ZA for my firewall--with XP firewall
I believe that most people will say that running two or more firewalls together might cause problems or just be counterproductive (using more resources).  XP firewall is very basic and does not block anything outgoing.   :'(

Zone Alarm free does a good job.  Zone Alarm Pro does a great job.  I was using Zone Alarm free until I heard about eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite.  Computer Associates are offering the eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm? for FREE for 1 year to Microsoft users.  I decided to give it a try since it is free for a year.  The firewall appears to be Zone Alarm Pro 3.7.211 but is called EZ Firewall.  

The installation for EZ Armor allows you to install both or either the Firewall or Virus Checker.  They are separate applications.  Since EZ Firewall is the same as Zone Alarm Pro, you'll get to use it for free for one year.  Then you can use your favorite Anti Virus such as Avast along with it.  I tried quite a few of the sites for port scans, etc. with all perfect results with few modifications to the firewall.   ;D

If you want to get your feet wet using Registry tools, try RegCleaner.  It is very simple and has some nice added features.
You can find it here:  www.jv16.org
jv16.org has gone commercial and charge now for their software.  They also discontinued their forum after the software developer linked up with a company who decided not to allow the public any access to previous free versions.  After the beta testing (each release lasted only a month or two), the company decided to charge $29.95 without ever mentioning that they would discontinue the freeware version.  They even changed the links of every website that had the free version to the new shareware version within a matter of days.  See http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=35566a572d10f2ff31358d54b342b27a&threadid=7918&highlight=jv16 for what others say about this.  >:(

Easy Clean works well and can be found at http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm or a beta verion at http://www.toniarts.com/betas.htm.   ;)

BTW - The people at this forum are really helpful and do their best at helping all.  Vlk just released an updated Avast driver for a possible fix for the system resource problem some were having with Avast (I was one of them who started the post at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1477;start=0).  My computer would start crashing after 4 to 8 hours with this problem that no one could solve at first.  Well, with the replies from people like Technical, Dave50, Taikonaut and others and the hard work of Vlk, it appears that the problem has been solved.  I am now going on 16 hours with no signs of crashing or slowing down.  Hallelujah!  It's great to be able to use Avast again.   ;D

So I guess what I am saying is that this Avast community is one of the BEST around.  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:24:47 PM by bbfi »

CoJo

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2003, 09:41:14 PM »

thank you, bbfi! I checked and I did have my XP firewall disabled :-[   ...been trying too many things at one time and confused myself!  ;)

ZA has been doing good so far, but I will look in to the Easy Clean...it has to be easy for me to use, too ;D  ...I have a reputation for installing things I don't know how to set up and messing up my computer :-X  (that will be our little secret!)

I agree these forums are the BEST...everyone of my newbie/novice questions were answered quickly and kindly and correctly...what a wonderful and smart group!!

CoJo

techie101

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2003, 02:31:10 PM »
BB,

Thank you for your information regarding jv tools.  I was unaware that they were taken over by Macecraft software.  My freeware version works fine.  There are many other freeware reg tools available.  I have not used Easy Clean, but you seem to like it so a user recommendation is great.

However, we do differ on one point.  Although XP FW is very basic, as a rule from experience, do not have 2 FWs running at the same time.  There is nothing wrong with having a backup scanner (manual), but the statement that you are referring too indicates that 2 RESIDENT scanners don't work well.  Maybe today their fine, but not tomorrow.  It mainly depends on who the second AV is.  

cojo,

You did not disable Windows XP firewall.  It is disabled by default.

Although other users have had problems with ZA, I use it and Sygate in different systems without incident.  ZA may be simplistic in some respects, but is a stable platform that does the job.  When I first started years ago, ZA was easy to learn and install.
Sometime later I started writing rules and switched to Sygate.

I have used earlier Computer Associcate products with great success. (Innoculate anti-virus).

I guess I am revealing my age now.   ;D

Good luck
techie

CoJo

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2003, 03:15:45 PM »
hello, techie!

thanks for clearing up my confusion on that xp firewall...someone else had told me it was enabled by default ;D...but they are as new about this stuff as I am. Picture, if you will, 2 old ladies learning this together--we started out at work using typewriters :o ...now that does show my age!! but that's cool...at least I'm alive and loving it 8)

now, question please?? my ZA is not acting right...it won't let me into OE...I can, obviously, get here and my mail is at my ISP box, but it won't forward it to OE. Yesterday tech support had to walk me through a bunch of checks before we decided it was an update from ZA...so, I had to uninstall then reinstall, but dont know if the installation was the updated one or my old one.

why would it not forward my mail?? but let me surf?
I'm not doing anything on this machine until someone makes a suggestion--because every time I do, I make it worse :-[

CoJo

bbfi

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2003, 09:08:08 PM »
Hi techie101,

However, we do differ on one point.  Although XP FW is very basic, as a rule from experience, do not have 2 FWs running at the same time.  There is nothing wrong with having a backup scanner (manual), but the statement that you are referring too indicates that 2 RESIDENT scanners don't work well.  Maybe today their fine, but not tomorrow.  It mainly depends on who the second AV is.
I think we have a slight problem with what we are talking about.  I was talking firewalls.  According to what you said, you are talking anti virus programs.  Here we can agree 100%.  Having backup manual anti virus programs is, in my opinon, a necessity now-a-days.  Since no anti virus catches everything 100%, it's a good idea to run a manual check with a different one every so often.  I myself have ANTIDOTE for PC Viruses - SuperLite, eScan Antivirus Toolkit Utility, and BitDefender Free Edition.  And as my resident anti virus program, Avast.  :D

Hi Cojo,

...now that does show my age!!
Hey, when I was in high school, we used slide rulers for math.  That's just one step above the abacus.  And computers used Fortran and were the size of small buildings and my first computer was a Timex Sinclair plugged into a TV!  How's that for age?  ;D

I had to uninstall then reinstall, but dont know if the installation was the updated one or my old one.
Open ZA, click on Overview and Product Info.  Look at the Version Information and let us know what it is.  We might be able to tell you if you installed an update or not.   ;)

why would it not forward my mail?? but let me surf?
You probably have the email client blocked by ZA and your browser allowed to access the internet.   :-\
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:14:06 PM by bbfi »

techie101

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2003, 12:02:24 AM »
BB,

I HAD A TIMEX SINCLAIR !!!  Oh Gee Whiz, I'm old.   ;D

Cojo,

If your email is not being sent on, Cojo is correct.  You may have ZA blocking the provider OR Avast is not set up correctly.

Shut down ZA (I never like doing this but....) and try to access your OE.
If it still fails to download to your computer, then I would suspect that you need to run the Avast Mail Wizard and check the settings.

It is a very simple process which we can discuss if you need to do it.

techie

CoJo

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2003, 01:39:37 AM »
 ;D   ...such a relief to know that there is more than one old geezer here 8)

I gave up on ZA! Installed EasyGuard firewall and like it so far...fingers crossed! easy to set up and easy to use...prime considerations for this old bird ;)
 I also do a one time scan with another product just in case...

another question!! what about disabling system restore when I do any scan? what exactly is the procedure?
Thanks,
CoJo