Author Topic: Avast! Free Has Messsed Up My Computer  (Read 45239 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast! Free Has Messsed Up My Computer
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
That Java is from 2006 :)   Aye uninstall it

WOW! More old stuff I dont need on this old thing! Thanks so MUCH, essexboy!!!!!   

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »
 :) ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »

One more thing, if I may ask, essexboy...

Can you tell me if having a lot of different files on my PC--i.e. mp3's, JPEG's, MP4 videos, etc. would be using up a lot of memory on my PC, even when they are not in use? 

Part of the problem I am still having with my PC, even though I have used all the tools you sent me the links to use to clean it up some more, is it takes a long time for things to load, and anymore, if I have two different windows open, a lot of time when I go to close one of them, it will take several seconds for the open window to close. What happens is, when I click on Close, it will slowly start to disappear starting at the top of the screen and from top of the screen to the bottom of the screen it will slowly close, taking its time to completely vanish.  I've read as much as I can find on this, but can't find the problem.  Also, do I need to or have to keep this Internet Explorer that came with the SP3 download, since I no longer use IE?  My computer seems to be running slower, and when I am either doing a reboot, or shutting it down, up pops one of those windows telling me that a program is still open--in this case it says "explorer", then the small blue squares within the little window start to appear from left to right as it's taking its time closing.  Is this IE running in the background?   

Thanks so very much, essexboy.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »

SNIP> Can you tell me if having a lot of different files on my PC--i.e. mp3's, JPEG's, MP4 videos, etc. would be using up a lot of memory on my PC, even when they are not in use? 

I won't speak to the rest of your inquiry but the answer here is NO
These files etc. are only using HD space and if not initiated/viewed should not/do not use RAM (Memory per se).
For the rest of your concerns, I'm sure Essexboy will have input. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »
Thanks a million, Schmidthouse.  Your answer helps me tremendously as I wasn't sure about the mp3's, jpeg's and such, and it's good and puts me at ease to know now that these do not use RAM.

Maybe essexboy can tell me whether or not this thing is on its last leg or not. 

Thank you!!!   :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »
IE is integral to windows so you need it whether you use it or not ...   

As we have juggled a lot of files around the system is probably fragmented so we will need to resolve that

XP built in defragmenter is not to hot so I would recommend that you try this one http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag-Download.html
Download, install and then run

You do have a nice amount of space on your hard drive but, at less than 1Gb of RAM that could do with boosting a tad :)

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »

You come through again, essexboy.  I am indebted to you for all of your help, sir. 

I downloaded the Purans, but it was blocked, saying "May contain a virus or spyware". : (

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »
Yep just checked it and it now includes wajam which we do not want

Try this one next http://www.oo-software.com/en/free/download.html 

I will also download a copy and test it

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
 Okay, will try this one. Thanks.

I am also watching a You Tube video on how to get RAM for free by taking it from my hard drive(but having great difficulty following the person speaking as he talks too fast plus he's on Windows Vista)

REDACTED

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »
OODefrag  is also blocked. : (

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

You come through again, essexboy.  I am indebted to you for all of your help, sir. 

I downloaded the Purans, but it was blocked, saying "May contain a virus or spyware". : (

Weird, I use Puran Defrag, though mine is probably an old version, 7.7 - though on checking it tels me I have the latest version. And I have used today, directly after my drive imaging backup, not a peep out of avast. Probably as essexboy said the installation file may come bundled with a PUP, but the program itself hasn't changed. program
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
 It looks like I went straight to Purans to download from their website, but with the OODefrag linke sent to me, it went through Cnet.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
O&O is a direct link .. you should be on this page.. Insert your e-mail and remove the tick

REDACTED

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2015, 09:52:02 PM »
  That is the page I was taken to, also. I entered my email address and clicked download, and it immediately posted the download file, the blue arrow took off, I went to "Open Containing Folder", and it warned me th t it might contain a virus or malware.  : (

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
Ahh you should have clicked next

I will just try it again :)