Poll

When Vista is released do you plan on upgrading to it?

Yes I will upgrade
4 (22.2%)
No I will stay with the version of Windows I already have
8 (44.4%)
I don't know
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2006, 05:43:16 AM

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 17726 times)

justin1278

Windows Vista
« on: January 02, 2006, 05:43:16 AM »
Hello,

Windows Vista will supposedly be released this year. Who will upgrade to it and who will stay with there current version of Windows they already have (XP,2000,NT,98SE,98,95)? Also do you think it is worth upgrading to Vista? Why? Each member gets 1 vote each, but anyone can see the results even if they have not voted. I voted that I don't know because I don't know what advantages Vista will yet have over my copy of XP.

~justin1278
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 05:54:40 AM by justin1278 »

MFB

Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 05:57:32 AM »
I think it's a bit too early to think about Windows Vista at the moment.  Some of us will probably wait a year or two to upgrade after it's release.  :P

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 06:07:56 AM »
Windows XP is a very good, stable operating system. XP was-is just a refinement of windows 2000 imho which at the time I thought was the ants pants. They are still finding and repairing holes is XP now and will continue to do so until it's use-by date expires like 98. After all many people still use and love 98 and 98 is  all they really need. I guess the real question should be what do you really want or need in a operating system? I for one am pretty happy with XP especially it's stability and flexability. I'll wait and see what Long-Vista brings. New OS's are always exciting. If the hip pocket is in good condition $$$ I will seriously give Vista more consideration  ;D

It appears a lot of people are very happy with XP looks like M$  finally got it almost right ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:20:21 AM by p3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:19:25 AM »
Hello,

Rumors have it that Vista will be released sometime in December of 2006. I will most likely stick with XP for a while after Vista is released but I am not sure. After it is out for 2-3 years I might buy the Vista upgrade pack to upgrade from XP to Vista instead of paying like $200.00 US, for the regular OS pack, when an upgrade is the same thing as long as you have some version of Windows.

~justin1278

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:18:02 PM »
I don't know.

System requirements may be the crucial issue in deciding to upgrade or not.

Fedora / OpenSuse, probably i will use either one of those. They just keep getting better and better.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »
I voted yes but i have to say that i will DUAL BOOT and why not?
Actually i'll have 3 operating systems:
Madriva linux,Win XP and Vista ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »
As the same as with ReVaN, I have dual boot and, who knows... so, I've voted: I don't know.
Probably yes  ;D

I guess the real question should be what do you really want or need in a operating system? I for one am pretty happy with XP especially it's stability and flexability.
Me too... but security is not as good as the other topics...
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
Questions like this are in my humble opinion silly... of course you all will upgrade sooner or later. It's the only way this World goes... you have to keep up with the things around you.

Just remember all those silly stories about SP2 and how many people never even thought of upgrading to SP2. Silliest thing ever. Now, if anyone sees anyone not using SP2, first thing they advise him/her (especially in this forum) to upgrade to SP2 ASAP.  ;)

Also, what's unbelievable silly... now everybody adores Windos XP all of a sudden. I still remember all those stories about how "difficult" to use is XP and other things... simply, there is no Windows  operating system as stable as Windows XP is... not to mention how easy is to troubleshoot your hardware/software/drivers problems, how much networking is simplified, and numberless other improvements.

I am sure many will still be afraid of Vista as usual when something new comes out... but I ask why ? We all need and want to learn more, and no one should be afraid of something new. Just remember how those stupid primitive people used to burn "witches" whenever and wherever someone brought something new. You had to stay stupid, or at least pretend to be stupid to blend into the crowd and stay alive. We are not living in the age of inquisition any more, so anyone is free to make up his mind best he/she can.

To answer that question... sure I will go with Vista as soon as it's gold and out. I had a chance to play with Vista Pre-Beta 1 and Pre-Beta2... still many issues, but that's why it's not public beta, it's something for developers and it's something that's still in deep development. All I can say right now, is that it looks and behaves promising and I simply can not wait until it's out.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »
...and I simply can not wait until it's out.

That makes 2 of us ;)

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:19:35 PM »
Still running happy with Windows 3.1...  NOT!

I will probably wait and see how many $-signs Mr. Gates will charge for his new OS. If it is a resonable price, I'll upgrade. Otherwise I will wait until I get a new computer with Vista on it in a few years time.

Until then, I'll stay with XP Pro and Suse.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
I will wait until I get a new computer with Vista on it in a few years time.
You've caught my mind  8)

We're the same... SUSE rocks  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 05:46:31 PM »
Still running happy with Windows 3.1...  NOT!

I will probably wait and see how many $-signs Mr. Gates will charge for his new OS. If it is a resonable price, I'll upgrade. Otherwise I will wait until I get a new computer with Vista on it in a few years time.

There are some rumours that Vista will cost under $100 which of course is very reasonable price.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vista-What-Is-the-Right-Price-7689.shtml

Also interesting article about minimizing of reboots needed for example when you are installing something new or something like that...

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/48652/48652.html
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 06:05:32 PM »
I too will wait for the final release and the reviews on Pros & Cons, what are the minimum specs, hardware, graphics, etc. It may well be that like XP many had to update their system hardware and software.

So for me it isn't simply a decision, will I upgrade to Vista if there are likely to be other costs involved, system, software, etc. then I will probably soldier on with XP Pro for some time, or as others have mentioned until I update/replace my existing system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The Maxx

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
I'll more or likely use Vista since it's aimed to be more secure and safe.  :)  XP might be the most stable Windows but it sure isn't that safe.  It has more holes then a piece of swiss cheese.  XP now has that nasty WMF exploit plus all the other viruses, spyware and malware and Vista is *suppose* to help stop that.  As of now tho Linux is on my PC.   :)

justin1278

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 10:23:48 PM »
Hello,

Although Vista is supposed to help stop that I have heard that you will still be required to use a Firewall, Antivirus, and an Antispyware program. I have also heard that Microsoft will pre package Windows Defender (Windows Antispyware) with Vista. Also XP is so far the safest OS Windows has released so far (not counting Vista because it hasn't been released yet). Also click on the link to see what hardware you must have to support Vista. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistahardware.mspx

~justin1278

P.S. Thanks for all of your votes and comments so far.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:38:45 PM by justin1278 »