Poll

When Vista is released do you plan on upgrading to it?

Yes I will upgrade
4 (22.2%)
No I will stay with the version of Windows I already have
8 (44.4%)
I don't know
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2006, 05:43:16 AM

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 17677 times)

Inu-Ya

Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 01:04:15 AM »
Have you people ever heard of "Nothing is perfect"  ::) Windows Vista although might be just a upgrade for protection, the specs. for it  to run are crazy and I could not believe it. But no matter now. I have 768MB of RAM which should be enough to try it out at least  :-\

The funny thing here is that we will never see a perfect OS. The're just keep on coming out with more and more...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »
Configuration assumptions for running Windows Vista are not accurate at all.. not even close... first thing, Micrososft still doesn't know will they run Vista with DirectX 9 or maybe even 10.

Besides, what is so strange with more powerful machine requirements ? We do not live in 1986 any more, of course we have to go with the flow. Everyone should be aware by now that you are not gonna be able to cope with new modern programs/applications/OSes on some old 386SX... of course we have to upgrade our machines from time to time. If someone is unable to do that because of financial situation, that's understandable, but in that case, again because of his/her financial situation he/she will not be able to buy Vista, so no point in crying anyway.

The only real new requirement will be more RAM and video card. It's not like anyone is asking us to buy a Cray to be able to run Vista. I just bought myself ATI graphic card (hardware support DirectX 9) under $70 CAD, and all those prices will go down even more... that's for sure. Vista works perfectly on my machine with that card installed and 1Gb DDRAM. All real time graphic effects, transparency, bloor, all animations, everything runs perfectly... so as you can see, no need for some turbo expensive GFX card to be able to run Vista. Of course if you are one of those crazy gamers, and you simply have to have a video card that costs around $600-$900 CAD, that's another story and not Vista's problem...

New technologies brings us more powerful things... more powerful things requires more power... simple as that.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
New applications in Windows Vista

Newcomers include Windows Defender, an anti-spyware tool that Microsoft will also make available for free to XP and 2003 users, DVD Maker HD, Windows Mail (which is really just the next version of Outlook Express), Windows Calendar, and Windows Backup, which might be the first truly good backup application to ever be included with Windows.

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5270_02.asp

It seems that the latest beta version of vista is shaping up to be more than just an enhancement of XP

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »
I really liked this part:

Internet Explorer 7 improvements
In each release of Windows Vista, we get closer and closer to what the final version of Internet Explorer (IE) 7 is going to look like, and the closer we get to that eventual day, the more I like what I see. I've been using Mozilla Firefox as my default browser for a few years now, largely because it's more secure and offers so many more useful features than does IE 6. But IE 7 may sway me back the Microsoft camp, God help me. It's that good.

Understand that I'm discussing the Vista version of IE 7 here, which will offer one key advantage that IE 7 for Windows XP will not have. That is, IE 7 runs in Protected Mode in Windows Vista, shielding the OS from both the application itself and any malicious files it may inadvertently (or purposefully) download. This extra bit of protection may finally make IE safe to use, and when you consider the vast array of useful new features this product includes, it's kind of a no-brainer...

As well as this one:

Windows Firewall improvements
While the Windows Firewall included with Windows Vista build 5270 doesn't appear to have changed much at first glance, a lot has changed under the hood. The firewall now supports bidirectional filtering, and not just inbound filtering as before, which is obviously a major improvement. Microsoft has also enabled advanced security features such as the ability for corporations to manage IPsec (IP security) configurations. From an end user perspective, Windows Firewall acts much like the firewall in Windows One Care Live now, though you'll receive notifications when it blocks a program (which you can disable).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:53:52 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Inu-Ya

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »
IE7 to me seems good as so I've heard from my friends and the guys at work  :). But all the Anti-Tools and such, I can't work with Microsoft on that. The're programs seem to not do as good as the ones in my sig.  :-\ Anyways, I hope to get Vista in about a year or... so after it's release that is...  ;D

Staind

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 12:11:44 AM »
S.Z.Craftec ,

You're forgotting those people with laptops who can't upgrade their video cards.  Many just contain generic Intel video cards which probably will not run vista - especially those using business laptops, which in part vista will primarily be for.  They should find ways to reduce unneeded graphical enhancements - Mac computers have had beautiful designs for years now in comparison to microsoft but do not require that much power from a video card.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 12:19:40 AM »
Windows Vista WILL run on all graphic cards. Who says that you HAVE to enable all the eye candies?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:15 AM »
S.Z.Craftec ,

You're forgotting those people with laptops who can't upgrade their video cards.  Many just contain generic Intel video cards which probably will not run vista - especially those using business laptops, which in part vista will primarily be for.  They should find ways to reduce unneeded graphical enhancements - Mac computers have had beautiful designs for years now in comparison to microsoft but do not require that much power from a video card.

Of course, but what do you expect ? Vista will not work on some 386 or 486 of course, that's logical.

I have my Gateway M675 17" wide screen and Vista works as a charm. All I was saying is it will not work on older machines, and certainly I haven't forgot about notebook users.

I am not so sure latest OSX would work on some old MAC machine, simply because of the graphical engine. No one can tell me different... ok, maybe it would work, but for sure it wouldn't be as smooth as it supposed to be.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:24:46 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:59 AM »
Rejzor,

The graphics card they recommended for Windows Vista is fairly high quality when looking into business laptops.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:21 AM »
Windows Vista WILL run on all graphic cards. Who says that you HAVE to enable all the eye candies?

Exactly, good point. If you decide not to use bloor/transparency effects, you can run Vista almost on any machine.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 12:27:37 AM »
Rejzor,

The graphics card they recommended for Windows Vista is fairly high quality when looking into business laptops.

That is simply not true. Here are specs for my laptop and just take a look at GFX card:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M675/3501731sp75.shtml

Staind

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 12:44:58 AM »
That is a borderline desktop replacement though.  Examine real business laptops for example fujitsu:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/productoverview.do

If you look at some of the models (actually the majority of them), they only have the Intel graphics card 900 media accelerator, which I believe will not be supported by DirectX 10.  How will you run Vista with that?

My main point is that Microsoft needs to cut the bloat-ware, and realize most of those jumping on the Vista band wagon will be business users.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 12:49:07 AM »
That's not my problem... go and buy something that is able to run Vista or stay and be happy with Windows XP.

Did you maybe see somewhere someone is forcing you to switch ?  ;)

By the way, telling that my machine is borderline desktop replacement is nothing but nosense. I'm using it for my business and my business is unbelievable demanding when it comes to graphic, animations, and speed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:50:38 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:13 AM »
That's not my problem... go and buy something that is able to run Vista or stay and be happy with Windows XP.

Did you maybe see somewhere someone is forcing you to switch ?  ;)

By the way, telling that my machine is borderline desktop replacement is nothing but nosense. I'm using it for my business and my business is unbelievable demanding when it comes to graphic, animations, and speed.
My laptop will run Vista fine. You are missing my point, let's just leave it at that.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:42 AM »
Haha maybe MS should go back to win 3.1 look to please people with crappy graphics ... ;D