Author Topic: Request For Ability To View and/or Adjust Website Blocks in the Popup  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Yinepuhotep

When Avast blocks a website, it puts a popup oveererr the tab the site was supposed to open in, but the popup gives exactly zero useful information as to why the website was blocked. Did it score high on a risk assessment? Does it turn up on a list of phishing sites or botnet download sites? There's no way to know, because the popup gives no information, nor does it give you a link to anywhere that might offer that information. For all the information the popup gives,  the website could have been blockoed because someone had dispepsia when they last viewed the url, and gave it a negative review.

Please add some way to view the criteria that causes Avast to block a website, and also a way for the user to choose whether the criteria given are what the user would use. In other words, the user should have the option to override the Avast block on a website if they choose to do so. As it is right now, the program does not even offer the option of allowing the user to choose for himself whether to accept the block or bypass it. Even if the bypass option requires going through a "yes, I know you think this is stupid" screen, it's still a better option than not allowing the user any choice at all.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Request For Ability To View and/or Adjust Website Blocks in the Popup
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
The pop-up does show why a site is blocked.
Either the infection that was detected or URL:Mal (=blacklisted)

Giving the user the choice to still visit the website is a really bad idea.
User who don't have a clue about security and will visit the website with all the risks that come with it.
If they get their system infected that way they come whining here
- "Why did avast not protect me?"
- "avast is crap. I have it installed but still my system got infected"
etc

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
In other words, the user should have the option to override the Avast block on a website if they choose to do so.
In fact, you can already override it if you set the web-shield to "ask".
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
In other words, the user should have the option to override the Avast block on a website if they choose to do so.
In fact, you can already override it if you set the web-shield to "ask".

The Ask function just gives a brief respite to allow the user to think - unfortunately the options in the Ask dialogue window is only Abort Connection, so it isn't allowing the user to access the site as they asked.

Essentially the only override would be to add the URL to the exclusions list, something I wouldn't advised unless the user is 100% sure and accepts the risk involved in excluding the URL from scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
Either the infection that was detected or URL:Mal (=blacklisted)
When blacklisted it does not say why as many other AV vendors do
And the word URL:Mal should be changed as many novice users dont understand what it means ... remeber grandpa and grandma also use computers