Author Topic: scanning on bootup - avast using 97 % resources?  (Read 3236 times)

yankanuk

scanning on bootup - avast using 97 % resources?
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
Hi, when I reboot, it seems to take forever for the Avast program to settle down. In other words, it uses up tp 97% resources for a long time. I only have Avast and crap cleaner on my start-up.
You might think that it's Crap Cleaner running, but this happens after an immediate reboot of the system.
Is my Avast software faulty?
HP Pavilion
500mhz
Win XP Home
192 MB ram

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: scanning on bootup - avast using 97 % resources?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:25:18 PM »
That may be all you have on your start-up but there are other services and programs that load in the background, check task manager to get a better idea of what is loading.

The default setting for Standard Shield is Normal, raising that to High will scan many more files.

Your system spec of 500mhz is somewhat under powered certainly for XP when you start adding other processes that are going to share these limited resources you will notice a reduction in performance, an unfortunate fact of life. It may well be withing the minimum spec for avast, but is very low when comparing it to the minimum spec for XP.

What is your firewall ? they can be somewhat active/chatty during boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yankanuk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
This PC belongs to a friend, I had to reformatt and install XP home on it for him. He uses dial-up, so I just have him using the SP2 windows firewall. I've been using DSL to up-date his PC, so right now, I disabled System restore to do a full virus scan on his PC.

I will check the level of standard shield after the scan.
I know the PC is minimal, but XP sure beats the heck out of WinMe, so that's why he bought the up-grade disc.
Thanks for your reply

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:19:35 PM »

Welcome to the forums, yankanuk!    :)

Put a good free firewall on that computer! Windows firewall is only half a firewall and not good enough even on dial-up. Try Zone Alarm Free, Kerio, etc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »
There are also a few firewalls that are light on resources (yet provide full protection, certainly better than XP's firewall), this topic has been discussed on the forums in the past (ghost wall I think). A google search for light resources gaming firewall might well produce more info.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Staind

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:21:45 AM »
You may have spyware causing problems with the bootup.  I know my dad's computer is a P3, 450 mhz computer and uses Avast! and runs up quite fine - he also has a lot of various other programs loading at start up too.