Author Topic: New Avast UI Discussion  (Read 72200 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: New Avast UI Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Also, not sure about Smart Scan as it only scans startup items and memory with quick rootkit scan. Feels like it should be doing a quick scan scope of scanning...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
I hope we'll have the chance to comment on almost finalized skin, but still before it becomes final. So we can still get some touchups done if necessary. I mean, current GUI format is rather confusing and FAR from optimal. I wouldn't want it released in such form, especially not for such a massive and important release as this one (because of AVG tech merger and all that). It's important to get GUI right. I already know protection will leap dramatically thanks to new Software Analyzer, but I still have great doubts about the interface itself.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
Btw, just screenshots of the changes would do the trick, so you don't have to actually release a whole program which is very demanding and time consuming task. But surely, you guys can keep us up to date with the changes by showing us screenshots of the interface progress per our recommendations.

Offline noelrojasc

• Usuario desde la versión 5
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
Btw, just screenshots of the changes would do the trick, so you don't have to actually release a whole program which is very demanding and time consuming task. But surely, you guys can keep us up to date with the changes by showing us screenshots of the interface progress per our recommendations.

+1  :)
DELL Optiplex 790, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits, Avast Free.

Offline anarkii

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2017, 05:22:44 AM »
Hello,
Can I just add it would be nice to be able right click a app that's blocked, and simply select 'allow' in the firewall.

Thats my only gripe. I love the UI as it is and is a huge improvement to me other previous versions. :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
@Vlk

Ok, I've made a new design and took full interface functionality into consideration by using Premier as example instead of Free version.

Lets leave the basic interface layout as it was designed by avast! team for this version, add "Virus Chest" to the sidebar (I'll be insisting on this one!). There is enough space even for Premier edition layout to have Virus Chest there. Split "Shields" and "Scan" into two separate icons under "Protection" panel, each with its own separate panel when you click one or another. For the sake of being clear what's what and giving you more space instead of cramming both real-time and on-demand on the same panel and getting rid of those silly "Pi" tiny buttons. I'll be insisting on this one as well, because the one with real-time and on-demand stuff under single panel looks absolutely horrible. I think my design of split real-time and on-demand is way more logical and user friendly, especially when it comes to touch control (good luck finger tapping that tiny "Pi" button on a Windows tablet using finger...).

What do you think Vlk? Minimal effort because I haven't dramatically changed the interface, but it looks and feels so much better than what we have in current live BETA.

And a side note about the firewall...
I never paid any attention to it since I'm using free version which doesn't have it, but for the love of all that's holy, it's horrendous. I know we're all friends here, but I have no polite words to describe it how bad the UX design is for the firewall component. And it's early 2017. I didn't expect such bad application control in firewalls back from 2005 era, let alone now. The layout is bad, Application Settings panel is one giant mess, I'm having problems figuring it out and you expect normies to understand it? Oh my god. But again, like always, new big version and no time to fix this properly in 2 weeks time... But seriously, you have to redesign the firewall interface if you want anyone to actually pay for it. Because I wouldn't want to use it even if someone gave it to me for free. Yeah, it's that bad. Just a well meant advice if you want to sell things to people...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:12:34 AM by RejZoR »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
I like the layout and you got the white out of there.
Too much white becomes an eyesore.
Now, if only avast! does something with this.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Luukjr

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
Great design Rejzor! I really like it. It's how the Avast UI should look like.
Soft: Avast Premium Security  / Avast Cleanup / Malwarebytes Premium

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
And a side note about the firewall......
Yeah, firewall is (always was) a lost cause. It needs a complete rework.

The simplest low hanging fruit would be to make the applications rules a flat list using plain old path names instead of file info (as, surprise surprise, developers tend to put crap in there).

Real solution would be to drop system rules and application rules and merge them into one top-bottom style hierarchy packet rules list ala Kerio 2.1.

Offline A. User

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
First of all i really like the RejZor's proposals for the interface. Nice work!

Next first thing is that when the Avast interface is opened it uses 35 percent of the CPU and between 95 and 127 MBs RAM.

I like the colors. I never thought that i'd like the purple, but somehow i do! The green of the protected shield looks awesome in that dark mode. Someone has proposed a news section... well, maybe sacrifice the size of the 'Upgrade" button and move it next to the "Avast Free Antivirus" in the top and give it a little border radius like the orange beta now has. Put a news button in the place of the current position of "Upgrade". The news would open on button click on top of the ads (you'll live though it).

About the popup with the components, my view is that you should make its background dark as the other parts of the UI are, make use of the FULL space that you can and place all of the buttons. If a user has the free version or has not installed some of the components, still show all of the buttons. Just separate them into sections inside the pop-up with "available with Pro etc." and "not installed". A user would be able to install and uninstall components right from there and not from a separate settings menu or the Control panel. Also i support the idea of removing the separate settings menu and integrating the settings into the relevant components.

I insist on keeping the popup all the way till the install runs and only closing it with the "X" button if the user chooses. On some old machines it takes 3-4 minutes for installation and some users might turn off their PC (yes such people exist) without realizing Avast is still installing. Not sure if Quick scan needs to coexist with the smart one.

Currently the boot time scan once scheduled cannot be unscheduled. Also there is a scheduling button next to the settings button like the one for other scans. There shouldn't be such a button for this scan.

Also make a default secondary action after "Fix automatically" to be "Ask". And once Software Analyzer a.k.a IDP gets to Avast make it clear if selecting "Automatically quarantine known threats" still asks for unknown threats or simply ignores them.

Trying to update Flash Player using Software Updater was ok but one more empty window which was not needed opened. LINK.

PS.: Forgot to mention that a default animated tray icon would be good.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:29:54 PM by liubomirwm »

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:58 PM »
I like RejZoR's suggestions. I'm getting used to the new UI, and the purple color, however, please don't drop Avast's iconic orange! It's unique to avast! and I love it!

Offline giova

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »
I dont like those colors.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
I dont like those colors.
It's totally impossible to satisfy every one. It should be possible to satisfy a majority of users. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
I'm now wondering what was even the point of this thread... Only change that was made to the GUI was changing this white panel to a purple panel... Yes, it's a step into right direction, but it's 29 steps away from what it should look like to actually look and feel good.

Offline noelrojasc

• Usuario desde la versión 5
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
You guys did an excellent work for AVG. Why not for AVAST??? :-\
DELL Optiplex 790, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits, Avast Free.