Author Topic: Avast only protecting one account  (Read 11457 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Avast only protecting one account
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »
Barr_y,
But my advice when reading a perfectly normal request for help and practically seeing the conclusion with my comment to bob 3160
My question to you was going to be:
Was her MB (Mother Board) repaired or reconditioned and then it broke again?
But, since CharleyO already asked, I didn't bother.
The attack on CharleyO for asking a valid question was totally uncalled for.
The quote from your friend regarding the second MB wasn't revealed till after the attack.
Help here is freely given. All the facts take some of the guessing game out of answering a problem.
Insulting someone who is trying to solicit more information in order to further assist you, only turns our desires to continue helping you
(or any one else  with the same type of attitude) off.
Next time you need help, please put yourself in the other persons shoes before jumping to conclusions.
Thanks, and again, welcome to the forum.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 09:39:53 PM »

Hello Barr_y,

I am sorry for the mis-understanding you have of me. I asked the question because many who come here seeking help do not always use abbreviations in the correct way or use standard abbreviations for a non-standard meaning. One reason for this is that many who come here do not have English as their native language like you & I and so, some standard abbreviations do not mean the same to them. Many who come here use on-line translators to read the posts here and sometimes those on-line translators do not translate abbreviations correctly or not at all.    :P

Before now, I did not know how computer proficient and expressive you are. Now, I know and wish I did not know. You also do not know me nor how much I understand. Yes, I know the standard abbreviation for a motherboard is m/b and probably knew this long before you did. I could have been (but am not) a newbie who was trying to understand an abbreviation a newbie might not be sure of. Remember this, we try to help everyone on this forum and not just those who know (or think they know) a lot but are still stuck with a problem they can not solve. You were once a newbie and had to learn. Perhaps you are still learning. I hope you are. I know I have learned much from this topic.    :) 

Your statement indicated a single m/b had blown up twice. A m/b might be repaired after some non-essential component has failed. But, for most of us, "blown up" would indicate complete and non-repairable failure. Hence, my question was meant to be positive in order to clarify the statement you incorrectly made. Had you written something like ... "The trouble at the moment her M/B's have blown up twice" ... OR ... "The trouble is at the moment she has had 2 m/b's blow-up" ... then the statement would have been clear to a "wisecrack person" like me and to newbies who often search these posts looking for information. By itself, M/B is singular but M/B's (or M/Bs ... though this could confuse some) would be plural.    :-\

Please accept my apology for interferring in your problem. You can rest assured that, if in the future you decide to post on this forum again, I will remember your name and I will never interfer with your problems again ... even if I know the answer you need. Though you have been very rude to me, I sincerely hope you learn something positive here and elsewhere on this forum.     :)

~~~~~~~~~

To the other forum members,

Thank you for your input and my apologies to each of you, and the forum as a whole, that this happened because of my post. I only wanted clarification so that all who visit this forum might understand and learn.    :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »
I am sorry for the mis-understanding you have of me. I asked the question because many who come here seeking help do not always use abbreviations in the correct way or use standard abbreviations for a non-standard meaning. One reason for this is that many who come here do not have English as their native language like you & I and so, some standard abbreviations do not mean the same to them. Many who come here use on-line translators to read the posts here and sometimes those on-line translators do not translate abbreviations correctly or not at all.    :P
I'm included on these guys... I did not understand M/B at the first time. I do not consider myself as stupid.

To the other forum members,
Thank you for your input and my apologies to each of you, and the forum as a whole, that this happened because of my post. I only wanted clarification so that all who visit this forum might understand and learn.    :D
For sure, no need to apologise as you did what I'll do if I were here few moments before you.
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »
Hi

Charley0 thank you for writing your posting I appreciate it very much. The one good thing that might come out of this is it might make people think twice before entering into a posting with negative comment which happens in nearly every forum I have visited. I like helping people and my own web site will show this. The question I posted here was for somebody that has become a friend and downloaded Avast from my site like a few others have. I expect you can see from my posting I was very pleased with the replies I had and posted them on to her. She read the postings here and this is what she thought of the response I had.

"Hi Barry,

Thanks for your email, I did read the thread on the forum... I am amazed by their response, honestly..how can they be so rude.  I can fully understand your response.  Just forget about it, don't waste your energy

I do have a good knowledge of computers and am 10 years older than you. I have just read Techs remarks added to this posting and can't understand his comments either. I was pleased with his original reply and thanked him, something a lot of people do not do nowadays.

I just wish you had added a bit more to your original input so I could have had a better understanding as to what you were getting at. I apologise to you and hope this will help other people in thinking what they want to say before posting.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »
What should be learned from this is:

Never jump to conclusions,
    Don't use abreviations,
    Never assume anything.   

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Barr_y

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Hi bob3160

Thank you for last input, but before I leave I would just like to say how many of you have never abbreviated anything in your postings
Here are a few of the very minor ones. I have put the full name just in case someone doesn't know what they stand for or has never ever used them in a posting.  (I think not}

DVD  Digital Video Disc
CD-ROM    Compact Disk - Read Only Memory
Kb        Kilobit
MB        Megabyte
MIDI      Musical Instrument Digital Interface
MOBO      Mother Board
MP3       MPEG Audio Layer 3
RAM       Random Access Memory

I do not think there would be one of you. that haven't used these abbreviations and if you have shame on you.

I feel sorry for somebody who I respected for his helpful answer for my friend and using a computer username of Tech, who found M/B (motherboard) so hard to fathom out especially with15,266 postings to his name.

I thank CharleyO for his posting and would say you seem a really nice chap. I am also sorry you all reacted to something that was concluded in my mind by the 5th posting. I feel really sorry for all of you.

I hope you treat other people that visit this forum with a little more respect that are courteous with there thanks and not all gang up on them and put them off from ever coming back.

I am not one of those type of people though, because I can always hold my own.

Barr_y

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 05:45:52 PM »
This is just a quick one for S.Z.Craftec I also give all my free time in helping people and visit their houses to help them out, all for free and never want anything in return. I am just pleased that at my age I am able to do it. I even upgrade their computers for them. I just don't sit down and give advice which is easy if you have the right answers. I am a hands on free guy in my local area and I love doing it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 06:26:11 PM »
You still don't get it Barry, yes we all use abbreviations, but when asked what they mean we don't fly off the handle calling the person a crackpot by implication of your comment "I don't need crackpot remarks".

I'm sorry that you think we are all ganging up on you, no one has been discourteous or disrespectful of you, we simply didn't agree with your interpretation of CharleyO's post and your negative (IMHO) attack on him.

Now, if that were you that was attacked in the same way not CharleyO, we would do exactly the same and speak up for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »
This is just a quick one for S.Z.Craftec I also give all my free time in helping people and visit their houses to help them out, all for free and never want anything in return. I am just pleased that at my age I am able to do it. I even upgrade their computers for them. I just don't sit down and give advice which is easy if you have the right answers. I am a hands on free guy in my local area and I love doing it.

Yes and that's a really nice thing to do Barr_y... besides I work for a huge corporation and working on three unbelievable large projects in the same time, also working of complete redesign of one of the best freeware mail checking utilities out there, trying to help as much as I can in avast! forum, and in the past doing all those skins and avatar work for my forum friends as well as for some others I've actually never met in my life... I also help all my neighbours with their PC problems (being a computer technician for last 15 years, I guess that's in my blood). And that's not the only thing... I don't charge it, and never did. I also take care of two other computers over the sea (Atlantic), remotely, so as you can see, there is always some time aside for everything, and if you organize things nicely you can manage to do anything you imagine. But you need to have patience, and not jumping to conclusions about some people just like that... forums and personal messaging thingies are always like that. You can't see the other side, so you have no clue what face expressions people use... therefore, very easy to misunderstand someone's post or message. People who use these things for a long time, they already know that.

Oh, almost forgot, among all those things... family is on the first place, and I manage to find some time for them too... actually, they are at first place, most important, my task number one... everything else falls to a second place and it is how it should be.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »
I have just read Techs remarks added to this posting and can't understand his comments either. I was pleased with his original reply and thanked him, something a lot of people do not do nowadays.
I'm not ungrateful and I thank the ones who recognize my trying to help.
If you do not understand my post I'll rephrase: I did not know the abbreviation M/B or MOBO as being related to motherboard. I do use abbreviations in my posts by I can't be nervous, angry or rude if any other user does not understand my writtings. Sometimes my posts are too 'technical' and I need to rephrase. Can you understand my point of view?

I'm sorry that you think we are all ganging up on you, no one has been discourteous or disrespectful of you, we simply didn't agree with your interpretation of CharleyO's post and your negative (IMHO) attack on him.

But you need to have patience, and not jumping to conclusions about some people just like that... forums and personal messaging thingies are always like that. You can't see the other side, so you have no clue what face expressions people use... therefore, very easy to misunderstand someone's post or message. People who use these things for a long time, they already know that.

I think I don't have to write more. I agree with them.
Oh, this is not personal. If you can, and want, I'll be glad that you keep around avast forums to help  ;)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 04:25:02 AM »

Hi Barr_y,

Thank you for your post about me. I appreciate it. No one wants you to leave and knowing the people here as I do, I can not believe they met it as ganging up on you. It is just that they know I am not a wisecrack. They know that if I ask a question, no matter how simple it might appear to be, it is for a reason as I mentioned in my last post.

As Tech mentioned above, his post are sometimes too technical for beginners. I try to do just the opposite ... state things simple for those beginners. As a matter of fact, it was within the past week that I re-wrote something Tech and DavidR was telling a non-English speaking person (French or German, I think, and maybe a beginner) who did not understand from their technical short-hand. I gave a simplified, detailed step-by-step set of instructions on how to accomplish the solution. This person understood then and the problem was solved.

Also, what Tech meant was that when he first came to this forum a few years ago, he did not know M/B means motherboard because he is one of those here whose native language is not English. He certainly knows what it means now.    :)

So, everyone, let us let past be just that ... past & gone ... and start again.    :)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 04:44:10 AM by CharleyO »

Barr_y

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »
OK thank you everyone for all your inputs to this posting. I have your message now and would please say if you are going to ask a question, please explain exactly what you would like to know in whatever language you can and as clearly as possible. I will do my best to interpret it with my knowledge of using the Internet. I am glad CharlyO had such a good response; I know I would like him immensely. So lets hope this will close this posting. If my friend finds out what is happening to her motherboard I will surely let you all know, plus she can get Avast to check all her accounts again as I first came here to try and help her with.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Eingaben
Es tut ich Leid für den Schwierigkeit diesen Aufstellen hat verursacht

Ringraziarla per le sue entrate
Sono spiacente per la difficoltà che quest'affiggere ha causato

Gracias para sus entradas
Sono spiacente per la difficoltà che quest'affiggere ha causato

Bedankt voor alle uw inputs
Ik ben droevig voor de moeilijkheid deze versturen heeft veroorzaakt
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:30:22 PM by Barr_y »