Author Topic: Kerio 4.3.246 Simple or Advanced Mode?  (Read 17398 times)

roro

Kerio 4.3.246 Simple or Advanced Mode?
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:30:14 AM »
I just uninstalled Zone Alarm from my wireless laptop because it slowed my broadband internet connection down so much.  I use Zonealarm on my wired desktop.
I installed Kerio Firewall 4.3.246 and wonder if I would be adequately protected  using the Basic (Simple) rather than the Advanced interface. ???
Also, it looks to me like Kerio Personal free will not be discontinued since, it was purchased by Sunbelt.   Is this a reasonable assumption?

RoRo 8) 8)

ardvark

Re: Kerio 4.3.246 Simple or Advanced Mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
I installed Kerio Firewall 4.3.246 and wonder if I would be adequately protected  using the Basic (Simple) rather than the Advanced interface. ???
Also, it looks to me like Kerio Personal free will not be discontinued since, it was purchased by Sunbelt.   Is this a reasonable assumption?

RoRo 8) 8)

You are adequately protected either way :)

It's reasonable as long as Sunbelt thinks it is ;D

Best Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:41:05 PM »
I think the same as ardvark. Kerio Free does the best firewall job. The Advanced options just increase your 'privacy'. You can achieve the same using a good browser (Firefox has extensions for that, blocking popups and adds; Maxthon could manage them too).

I hope Sunbelt does not end with Kerio... an excelent firewall  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline rwaters

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
According to the Sunbelt web site, they intend to continue offering the free version. It's the same as the trial download, but shifts into "basic" mode only after the 30 day trial period is over. This is similar to what Ewido does.

Here is the link I was referring to:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

roro

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:12:45 AM »
Thank you for your input.  I do like the fact that Kerio doesn't keep bothering me with  questions, but I don't understand how it decides which sites can access my computer.  Zone Alarm was constantly asking me whether a site could access the internet.
From what I understand Windows firewall only stopped incoming stuff.  Kerio and Zone alarm stop my computer info from being hyjacked by hackers; therefore, they prevent outgoing info also.  Is that correct?  Sorry if I sound simplistic. ::)

Ro Ro 8) 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:33:38 AM »
Thank you for your input.  I do like the fact that Kerio doesn't keep bothering me with  questions, but I don't understand how it decides which sites can access my computer.  Zone Alarm was constantly asking me whether a site could access the internet.
I suppose you're talking about programs (applicatives) and not sites.
Kerio could make as many questions as you want/need. Just a matter of configuration. On the installation, choose the advanced mode. If you have choosen the other option, after installed you need to change the 'any program' behavior on the applications tab os settings, changing from 'allow' or 'deny' to 'ask'  8)

From what I understand Windows firewall only stopped incoming stuff.  Kerio and Zone alarm stop my computer info from being hyjacked by hackers; therefore, they prevent outgoing info also.  Is that correct?  Sorry if I sound simplistic. ::)
In few words, yes.
On Windows Vista, the firewall will block the inbound and outbound access, as far I could see.

neal62

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:36:32 AM »
I have used Z.A. free, Pro version, Sygate, Comodo, etc. I am now using Sunbelts Kerio P. F.W. and love it. It's very thorough, user friendly, doesn't take up that much in resources. Does a very good job IMHO.  :)

roro

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »
Yes Tech, I did mean program not site.

So it would be better (safer) to use the Advanced mode?  I liked the idea that I didn't have to answer any questions, but of course that means any program that I have can access the internet without asking me for permission. ::)
I guess I had better change to the Advanced mode then.
Thank you.

Ro Ro 8) 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »
Just do as I've said, changing the settings to 'ask'...

Jarmo P

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03:17 PM »
I am back to Sygate, but with Kerio 4, the advanced mode of course!
Even if no package rules, you get to be asked what to allow in application rules, and not to accept server rights when not needed.

Beware of the famous Kerio BSOD's, hehe.
It is a most comprehensive free easy firewall, if there were not those :(

roro

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:40:09 AM »
Thank you Tech.  I have just done what you suggested and added a rule for each of the programs that I use to access the internet.

Jarmo,
What the heck are the famous Kerio BSOD's.  ???

Ro Ro 8) 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 02:06:25 PM »
Thank you Tech.  I have just done what you suggested and added a rule for each of the programs that I use to access the internet.
Oh, I forgot, but could (not should) be safe if you deny all Inbound access from Internet zone. The third question (ask) on the list. So you won't allow connections because you did not pay attention to the question and answered yes. The windows message appears with the RED color and not the GREEN one (only for outbound connections).

Jarmo P

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 10:40:36 AM »
Quote from: ro ro
Jarmo,
What the heck are the famous Kerio BSOD's.  Huh

Blue screen of death.
Ever experienced that with XP or other NT based systems?
Kerio 4's code I think is not stable. It was built on GUI, tried, but the basic firewall never matched the features. Kerio 4 has a good GUI, but the firewall behind is NOT.
Sorry to say. As many using kerio 2.1.5 tell, the newer versions never made it really.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
most of Kerio BSOD roots from low level driver ... it was well known for e.g. colide with UT2004

but ... others firewalls got same problems (best example Zone Alarm versus Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45, took them 2 or 3 months before they were able released updated ZA) ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

roro

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »
I should have know what BSOD meant.   :)It has not happened to me since I have used Windows XP, so I had forgotten about it.  I have had XP since it was released a few years ago.

I haven't had any problem with Kerio on the laptop with Windows XP either. 

Ro Ro 8) 8)