Author Topic: File in use - File is open in Avast antivirus  (Read 16303 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
File in use - File is open in Avast antivirus
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
Hi,
Since updating Avast free version 18.5.2342 (build 18.4.3895.327) on Win10 1803, I have had problems with pdf files (scanned docs) where I can neither rename or delete due to error message:

"File in use
The action can't be completed because the file is open in Avast antivirus"

If I close the shields and try again, no different,
If I restart, I can then rename or delete the pdf.

I have done a repair or avast but does not cure the problem.
Ed

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: File in use - File is open in Avast antivirus
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »
Correction: I now have Avast Free 18.5.2342 (build 18.5.3931.0). Before someone queries my earlier post regarding avast version.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Does it happen with any PDF (e.g. even with those coming with Acrobat Reader or so), or are only those scanned ones affected?
How do you rename/delete the files - through File Explorer, or some other tool?
You say that after restart you can rename or delete again - so when does the problem start to happen? (I mean, if you can delete after reboot, there has to be some period where it works, and then something happens and the problems starts - could you guess what it could be?)
Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
I am having the same problem. I have tried to reboot the computer and thatr does not help. The files are in my Pictures folder and were downloaded as files from my scanner. Not sure if it is happening to all PDF files but it is definitely related to PDF files.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
@Igor
OK. In my case I scanned a page and saved as pdf on desktop. Then opened and viewed using acrobat reader and found image not to to my liking. Closed then attempted to delete the file from desktop - unable. Attempted to rename - unable. Restarted PC, then able to rename by right click/rename. This happened many times when scanning and saving pdf's today. Every time I had to restart to get back control of the pdf file from avast. This behaviour has only happened since new avast free version was installed this week.

Edit: I can add that I have just printed a Word document page as pdf (not using scanner) and did not have the same problem.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:05:50 AM by rocksteady »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
OK, so it would seem it's connected with creating a  PDF from the scanning software. What scanning software is that? Maybe our QA could try to reproduce...

Just to be sure - since you say it's Avast Free, there's no Ransomware Shield (in Protection section) or Sensitive Data Shield (in Privacy section) in your Avast, right? (If there were, those would be the ones I'd try turning off, preferably before scanning the document - to see if it makes any difference.)

Maybe one more question - do you have any recent files with filenames like unpXXXXXXXX.mdmp (X are some numbers) in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log ?
Thanks.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
@Igor,
1. I am using Epson Scan and Epson Scan driver. I have the latest versions of these installed.
2. To be sure, I have today downloaded same from Epson support website and reinstalled both Epson Scan 3.772 and Scan Driver 3.773, but I had these versions before.
3. Following this software install and restart, I am now able to scan a page, save pdf file, rename and delete without it being taken prisoner by avast.

So appears last update version of Avast has somehow interfered with the Epson scanner software. Re-installation of that scanner software has fixed my immediate problem, unless it comes back to haunt me later.

I dont know if the other poster @samdobrow can resolve his same problem by doing a similar reinstallation of whatever scanner software he is using.

PS. I have no files with filenames like unpXXXXXXXX.mdmp in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log.

Offline Gordon2

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
@Igor

I also have experienced this issue since the update to v18.5.2342 whereby I am unable to delete certain pdf files. However these files were not scanned into the computer but were created with the built-in Microsoft PDF printer, and the problem only arises after I have sent the files - via wifi - to the printer. Restarting the computer "releases" the files and they can then be deleted.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 04:07:32 AM »
I am running Avast Free version 18.5.234 (build 15.5.3931.0) I have also tried to update both program and definitions and told I am using latest version.

I can not delete PDF files. It does not matter if they are downloaded from email, created by scanning, or created by saving a file to PDF in other programs. I have tried to delete several including ones I have not opened since restarting the computer and I get the same error message:

File In Use
The action can't be completed because the file is open in Avast Antivirus.

I even tried to disable my Avast for 10 minutes and still could not delete.
 I am thinking there is a place where avast has lock files like a database that are maybe getting hung up?

Any ideas?

This is a major problem and based on above thread I am not alone and this thread is literally the first google search and has been viewed almost 2,000 times in two days on a weekend, so the problem is real!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
The number of views, isn't a good indication of the numbers of people experiencing the problem.  This is a very active support forum and many are curious on what is posted. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
Also using Avast Free 18.5.2342 (build 18.5.39310), Win10 X64 and experiencing the same issue. Cannot delete, move or rename PDF files either created or downloaded. Attempting to do so results in error message: "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in Avast Antivirus. Close the file and try again". Would be very grateful for any suggestions/updates regarding this issue. Thanks in advance.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
Ah. So I see I have not been alone when reporting this problem.
However, since I reinstalled my scanner software I don't seem to suffer the problem.
I have just done a quick test to print a Word doc using Microsoft PDF printer. I can rename and delete the resulting PDF file.
I have also tested that I can scan, save as PDF, rename and delete the scan PDF.
Before I reinstalled my scanner software, that was not possible.
Be interesting if others can reinstall their scanner software and see if that overcomes their PDF file delete problems.
But Avast program update should not mess up scanner software in this way.
Ed

Offline Gordon2

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
@rocksteady

I have exchanged emails this morning with a member of the avast team regarding the blank UI issue (thread here - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219934.15 ) and mentioned that I was also experiencing the pdf issue, he replied that this "was being worked on now and should be fixed soon".

Since I was experiencing the issue after printing pdfs created with Microsoft print to pdf - printing one meant that all pdfs in that folder were affected - it may well be connected with the printer sortware (Canon in my case) but I'll hold off reinstalling that to see if they come up with a solution "soon".

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
@rocksteady

My problem occurred when I tried to delete a PDF file that I downloaded and saved to my desktop (the manual for Cubase 9.5). No scanning/printing or PDF creation was involved, so I don't think reinstalling the scanner software would make a difference in my case. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Like Gordon2, I'm going to wait for Avast to provide a solution (or at least some suggestions). Cheers.

Offline Upstream2

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
I am using Epson Scan and have the same problem.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:47:38 PM by Upstream2 »