Author Topic: Start Menu/Could a Moderator please delete this topic  (Read 5839 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Start Menu/Could a Moderator please delete this topic
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »
Stop posting in the topic and it will eventually fall off the radar.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
EDIT
Replied to the wrong person
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:12:41 PM by -midnight »

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
@DavidR,

The same Microsoft Tech called me again today.  He used the Media Creation Tool, or whatever it's called.  When that was finished it asked if I wanted to reset, keep my files or remove everything.  I didn't want to do either one and I told him I didn't.  He's supposed to call me again on April 26 at 5pm but I'm not going to answer.
So you'll get, what you want and that is what you still have!
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 09:08:26 PM »
What

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »
Stop posting in the topic and it will eventually fall off the radar.

+1

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
@DavidR,

I talked to the same Microsoft Tech again today.  He took control on my computer and he done the same thing all over again.  He brought up a screen and it showed reset, keep files or delete everything.  I didn't want to do either one and I told him I didn't.  He is supposed to call again on April 26 @5PM but I'm not going to answer.  I don't want to go through  the hassle ever again.

EDIT
typo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:25:34 PM by -midnight »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
@DavidR,

I talked to the same Microsoft Tech again today.  He took control on my computer and he done the same thing all over again.  He brought up a screen and it showed reset, keep files or delete everything.  I didn't want to do either one and I told him I didn't.  He is supposed to call again on April 26 @5PM but I'm not going to answer.  I don't want to go through  the hassle ever again.

EDIT
typo

At least you accepted the call to find out what his plan was. 

But why you didn't accept one of the 2 options:
1.  delete everything. 
2.  reset, keep files.

Option 1.  Really isn't something to go for as it would effectively be a clean install of windows, presumably that would be 1809, but that is something you have to ask him.  Obviously you would have to be prepared to reinstall everything and restore your data/image files, etc. from your backup images.  You see where I'm going with this you have to have a robust backup and recovery strategy, to recover from issues like this without having to delete everything and start again.

Option 2.  Surely would have retained the files and programs that you have installed (especially if you have no backups) and only rolled back to the previous version of Windows.  Which may or may not have been 1903 (and possibly not the insiders version) or 1809, this is what you should have asked him.

Finally when he made the appointment to call back on April 26 @5PM, you should have asked him what his plan was for that support call.  You have to clearly state to the support tech what it is you want, I'm guessing this would be a non destructive rollback to 1809, leaving your installed programs and data files intact. Have/did you clearly  communicate that ?

Simply not answering the call isn't going to help you one little bit (not to mention rude, when an appointment was made), you will be in the same boat as you are now, no doubt frustrated.  I don't know if having signed up for the insiders program you would remain on that, at the very least use that call to find out how to leave the insiders program and confirm exactly what it is that you hoping they can achieve in that appointment.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
I told him what I wanted today and the first time I talked to him.  I want to go back to version 1809 and that's what I told him both times I talked to him.  He used the media creation tool, or whatever it's called.  I will answer when he calls the next time and once again tell him exactly what I want.

I'm no longer a Windows Insider.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:08:56 AM by -midnight »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »
I don't think he's from America because it's kind of hard to understand what he's saying. I hope the next time he calls he won't use the media creation tool because that doesn't work. He should be smart enough to roll me back to version 1809 without using that tool.  Guess I'll find out the next time he calls.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 06:32:58 PM »
@DavidR,

EDIT
typo

At least you accepted the call to find out what his plan was. 

But why you didn't accept one of the 2 options:
1.  delete everything. 
2.  reset, keep files.

Option 1.  Really isn't something to go for as it would effectively be a clean install of windows, presumably that would be 1809, but that is something you have to ask him.  Obviously you would have to be prepared to reinstall everything and restore your data/image files, etc. from your backup images.  You see where I'm going with this you have to have a robust backup and recovery strategy, to recover from issues like this without having to delete everything and start again.

Option 2.  Surely would have retained the files and programs that you have installed (especially if you have no backups) and only rolled back to the previous version of Windows.  Which may or may not have been 1903 (and possibly not the insiders version) or 1809, this is what you should have asked him.

Finally when he made the appointment to call back on April 26 @5PM, you should have asked him what his plan was for that support call.  You have to clearly state to the support tech what it is you want, I'm guessing this would be a non destructive rollback to 1809, leaving your installed programs and data files intact. Have/did you clearly  communicate that ?

Simply not answering the call isn't going to help you one little bit (not to mention rude, when an appointment was made), you will be in the same boat as you are now, no doubt frustrated.  I don't know if having signed up for the insiders program you would remain on that, at the very least use that call to find out how to leave the insiders program and confirm exactly what it is that you hoping they can achieve in that appointment.
He called yesterday evening and he said the only way to get version 1809 was to reset this PC so I guess I'm going to have to do that

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »
At least you have your clear answer, it may not be what you wanted, but is a sure lesson in using OS insider installs/updates.  When/if they go wrong it can mean having to go back to square one.  I feel this should only been done on a non-critical system, not your everyday work system.

In all of this time we/me in the forums keep banging on about having a robust Backup & Recovery Strategy.  Primarily using drive imaging software that makes an exact copy of your drive/partitions, etc. and saved to an external drive. 

This would have allowed you to go back to the exact state, prior to that insider install/update by restoring the image prior to this OS install/update.  I normally do a weekly drive image backup and would recommend doing a backup before any major OS update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
I have 2 other win 10 computers.  I used to know how to hook them up but I don't remember now.  My neighbor who always worked on my computers has gone on vacation for 4 months.

If I reset my PC will I have a windows password?  If so I surely don't remember that.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »
I have 2 other win 10 computers.  I used to know how to hook them up but I don't remember now.  My neighbor who always worked on my computers has gone on vacation for 4 months.

If I reset my PC will I have a windows password?  If so I surely don't remember that.
As DavidR says, a robust backup will put your system back exactly the way it was before you made your changes.  Presumably you weren't using a Windows password at that time when you made your backup, so you wouldn't need one now.  Plus, you would be back at version 1809 too.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 09:44:21 PM »
I don't have a backup so that's why I'm afraid to reset my PC

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:30 PM »

[/quote]Windows 10 v 1903 has not officially been released.
You also don't state what you don't like and what you're trying to accomplish.
[/quote]
The Microsoft tech I talked to yesterday evening told me I need to reset my PC.  I started to do that today but I don't know if I will need a password for windows. If i do I don't remember it