Author Topic: VMware/Virtualbox error  (Read 1062 times)

Offline lord_dakana

VMware/Virtualbox error
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »
Hello, I'm very excited to work with this. But I have already received a major problem. I use both VMware and Oracles VirtualBox to do security testing for clients and beta testing for a hobby. however, since the installation of the Omni program, I do not yet have the device, I am getting a Kmode exception BSOD Error. no error code. I thought maybe it was the upgrade to Win 10 1903 as they did have problems at first. but after going through all of the usual methods to fix.

Code: [Select]
I had to perform the following three steps to fix the issue:

1) Apply this registry modification

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity

Enabled = 0

2) Run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

(Just a side note: if you want to reverse the above command back to its original state, from elevated command type: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto)

3) Reboot the PC and that should resolve your issue.

it worked eventually after 2 rollbacks and reinstalls. but only specifically after using : bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Then I noticed Omni was gone it had reverted back to to the standard avast. I thought maybe it was when I rolled back and then reinstalled the last time I forgot to update it.

No that was not it, because I checked the time stamp on last modified on the downloaded file, it was a day after I did my last re-install, yes this has been going on for almost a week. It was yesterday morning I had done the above line. so I reinstalled Omni. everything was great until the restart and BSOD when I started up VirtualBox Virtualization. at first, I thought it was either Epic Games manager since it was new. closed that. nope. closed Plex. Nope. closed 2 other regular programs I had closed earlier, because I go minimalist when doing VM installs and setup. The problem persisted. So I closed all nonessential programs and disabled security, things I don't like to do hence VM, and viola, running very nice.

Then I reintroduced software starting with Omni, first firewall, no issues then enabled the 11 shields boom instant BSOD. So I have my culprit but I don't know which feature it is that needs to be turned off or adjusted or exception made to make things play well.

my system

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 running latest BIOS
Processor: AMD FX -8320 Black
G Card:  AMD Radeon R7 370
Win 10 1903 build 18362.207 latest update
VirtualBox Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2)

If any more information is needed please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: VMware/Virtualbox error
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
So the BSOD is happening in the host machine or guest (virtualized) machine? Can you please provide a dump file? It should be present in %systemroot%\Minidump folder or as %systemroot%\memory.dmp file.

Offline lord_dakana

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:42:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

The BSOD will only manifest in the host machine in this situation otherwise it would just give the exception error in the VM similar to this: "ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={ab4164db-c13e-4dab-842d-61ee3f0c1e87} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}"

or

VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible.

or would just hang/freeze.

Generally, this all has to do with virtualization protection interacting negatively. So it probably is something like adding an exception in Sandbox or in disabling Hardware-assisted Virtualization. But I don't know how the other shields work like Cyber capture or the Ransomware shield. I could turn them all off and then back on one at a time until my BSOD. not really a fan of crashing my Computer on purpose though, done it a lot so far.

Now here is a puzzle, there is no Memory.dmp. I checked it's set to create one in %systemroot%\memory.dmp, but not there. This is bothersome for sure. Not happy about that, I got to look into why that is. I did make sure that all the files were showing, none were hidden.

it is perplexing.

Offline lord_dakana

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »
Hi again,

I wanted to give an update as to where things stand. I started up my system so that all of my regular apps started, then I disabled Avast Shields until next restart and one by one started enabling them. Firewall, File, Behavior, Web and Mail Core shields. Then I went to the problems & notifications list and started opening each one until Anti-Rootkit and Anti-exploit were left. Once I enabled Anti-rootkit BSOD came up within 15 seconds.

here is a .dmp file the only one I can find that has a time stamp close enough to the crash time.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XV1tjtnWDcpnv8CgGQ37M11rzkAp3g91/view?usp=sharing

I hope this gives enough info. Even though it is an annoyance I can manage with it, and then once done just enable it.

Offline ady101

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »
Hi,

I am also having a similar if not the same issue with VMWare Workstation 15. Following this thread.

Thanks

Offline Zbyněk6

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
Hello,

@lord_dakana - Thank you for providing the dump. I've already forwarded the data to developers. I'll keep you updated.

@ady101 - Could you also provide us with a dump file?

Thank you, Zbynek