Author Topic: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)  (Read 94411 times)

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
Re: NEW Version: 19.7 (July/August 2019)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
You haven't mentioned Avast Ultimate, see https://www.avast.com/compare-antivirus, so not all "paid AV features are available to all AV customers." 
Or am I confused ?

Avast Ultimate is a bundle of several Avast products - it offers the highest tier of AV=antivirus (of which Premier was the best up until now, now replaced by Premium Security) along with Avast Cleanup, Avast SecureLine VPN and Avast Passwords. These are not AV features, they are standalone products. We are discontinuing tiering of AV products - you either have free AV or paid AV, simple as that. Of course, other standalone programs will be kept for the future as they are not part of a paid antivirus.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
We decided to put the GA tracking checkbox (now called Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage) as checked by default as that is the norm and standard in the online world. We do not consider this a sneaky action. The absolute majority of users have never ever tempered with these settings so it is not like we are trying to fool them and shadily flip them to our desired setup. It's industry standard to have GA (and such) tracking in opt-out mode.

You do realise that "everybody does it" is an extremely weak argument? If everybody jumps off a bridge, etc...

Avast boasts about being the right software to keep users safe and secure, in a myriad of ways. To then be so lax with their privacy is shameful! Nothing less. The default should be opt-in.

That the majority of users have never changed the defaults is exactly why Avast uses opt-out as that default. Most users don't even know these options exist because they don't read the forums or the release notes. And you know it! Avast should ask explicit consent through the program itself. So users can make an informed choice. Or at least were made aware these settings exist. That is the right way to approach user privacy!

I'll repeat: Avast is being shady and it willfully puts its bottom line before its users privacy. Truly for shame.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:46:14 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
Still looks like Personal Privacy to me?

This menu now differs between Avast Free and the paid version(s). Apparently.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:47:06 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 03:46:50 PM »
We decided to put the GA tracking checkbox (now called Allow usage data to be shared with 3rd parties for analysis of product performance and usage) as checked by default as that is the norm and standard in the online world. We do not consider this a sneaky action. The absolute majority of users have never ever tempered with these settings so it is not like we are trying to fool them and shadily flip them to our desired setup. It's industry standard to have GA (and such) tracking in opt-out mode.

You do realise that "everybody does it" is an extremely weak argument? If everybody jumps off a bridge, etc...

Avast boasts about being the right software to keep users safe and secure, in a myriad of ways. To then be so lax with their privacy is shameful! Nothing less. The default should be opt-in.

That the majority of users have never changed the defaults is exactly why Avast uses opt-out as that default. Most users don't even know these options exist because they don't read the forums or the release notes. And you know it! Avast should ask explicit consent though the program itself. So users can make an informed choice. That is the right way to approach user privacy!

I'll repeat: Avast is being shady and it willfully puts its bottom line before its users privacy. Truly for shame.
Ultimately, it's your system and you determine what's placed on it. Avast can't do more than be open about it's collection practices.
If it's not to your liking and you can find something else more to your liking, you make the final decision.
At least Avast puts it in the open. Most simply don't disclose the information.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »
If Avast put it in the open, it would tell users about these settings and ask them what they want to share. In the program itself. Not hide it away in a release note that 1% of users is even aware of it exists.

Avast shows popups and alerts for all kinds of nonsense. Use them for good for once.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »

That the majority of users have never changed the defaults is exactly why Avast uses opt-out as that default. Most users don't even know these options exist because they don't read the forums or the release notes. And you know it! Avast should ask explicit consent though the program itself. So users can make an informed choice. That is the right way to approach user privacy!

Ultimately, it's your system and you determine what's placed on it. Avast can't do more than be open about it's collection practices.
If it's not to your liking and you can find something else more to your liking, you make the final decision.
[/b]

Agreed Bob
I personally have no problem with the manner and position Avast has taken.
If I did I'd leave. Simple :)

Offline avant-guvnor

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »

Yes, you are correct. It is the end users device(s), decision(s) in the end, but this does not change the fact that, as Rundvleeskroket has stated, this behaviour by Avast is dubious.

If I re-call, didn't Google try something similar to this a few years ago, resulting in financial penalties?

Transparency please, from all software developers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:04:37 PM by avant-guvnor »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:07 PM »

<snip>
Still looks like Personal Privacy to me?
<snip>
Bob, what versione of UI do you have?
Can't understand why your's still says "Personal Privacy" after the update.

Offline Pako7

• Poster
  • 18 years with Avast and i still recommend it
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
Have you tried using the above links not updating by UI?

Not yet. Never tried that before, for years I have updated through the UI. Guess I'm gonna wait avast to fix their program.

Are sure the internet connection is fine?? because i just updated 8 of my workplace computers and it was just fine
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »
- You do realise that "everybody does it" is an extremely weak argument? If everybody jumps off a bridge, etc...
- Avast boasts about being the right software to keep users safe and secure, in a myriad of ways. To then be so lax with their privacy is shameful! Nothing less. The default should be opt-in.
...so users can make an informed choice. Or at least were made aware these settings exist. That is the right way to approach user privacy!

We do appreciate that the topic of privacy is extremely important so, please, let me elaborate here. I really want people here to understand it.

When it comes to data collected for our own analytical purposes (of Avast product usage) - this is part of End User License Agreement (EULA) you are agreeing to when installing the software. It is the absolute standard and most common legal procedure of giving such consent in the world - there is nothing to be ashamed of from Avast side. The argument about jumping from the bridge does not make sense here, sorry. This (opt-out regime) is the way how such program-usage data sharing consent operates for virtually any software out there and there is absolutely no reason for Avast to differ from such legal standards.

What more - I don't understand where the accusation about us not asking the consent for data shared with 3rd parties (for our business purposes) comes from. We do explicitly notify every user about data collection (those used for business and marketing purposes - which some users might find way more sensitive then program usage data) right after installation. Actually, in a very open and transparent form that most companies do not. This is the latest iteration of the data sharing consent step right after installation. In various forms, it has existed in Avast for years.

Again - if you opted out of this any time before, we are respecting your very decision even after splitting the consent in settings in this latest version. I consider the fact that we are making privacy settings more granular as yet another step towards transparency - it is definitely for the benefit of users if we do not merge consent for Google Analytics (or such services) with data collection for business purposes, like with Jumpshot.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »
Transparency please, from all software developers.
Agreed, but that's exactly what you got, so not sure what you're asking for.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
I think "Personal Privacy" settings name should have been retained and not changed to "Data Settings".
Even the screenshot posted above by @benko refers to "Personal Privacy", not "Data".

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
Again - if you opted out of this any time before, we are respecting your very decision even after splitting the consent in settings in this latest version.

I don't like having to repeat myself so please read this very carefully; before installing this version of Avast Free there were two checkboxes. Both unchecked because I have opted out. Then, after updating to this new Avast Free, there are three checkboxes. The new third checkbox was checked by default. And no screen appeared asking me what data, if any, I would like to share. So stop lying.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:08:02 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
Is Multi-Device supposed to show under my subscriptions in the GUI? Or, only at subscription.avast.com?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:57:08 PM by Charyb »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »
Is Multi-Device supposed to show under my subscriptions in the GUI? Or, only at subscription.avast.com?
As mentioned by Benko in the initial post, it might take a few weeks...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0