Author Topic: My IE2--Are You Happy with It?  (Read 40583 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:My IE2--Are You Happy with It?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 09:28:28 PM »
biffi you stole MY virtual cookie >:( (  ;D ;D )
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

bbfi

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 01:21:53 AM »
Sasha,

P.S. bbfi - Thanks for such a nice and big description ! I'm imaginating that I'm giving you a K.cookie, but when I open my eyes... there is no APPLAUD button...

That's okay.  It's the thought that counts.   ;D

MacLover2000,

biffi you stole MY virtual cookie  >:( ( ;D;D )

Sorry about that.    ;)

BTW - I'm bbfi, not biffi.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 01:27:37 AM by bbfi »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2004, 01:35:07 AM »
sorry about that :-[
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2004, 06:29:58 AM »
bbfi wrote:
BTW - I'm bbfi, not biffi.  ::)

He,he... Good thing is that MacLover2000 doesn't say Buffy... like "Buffy the vampire slayer"

I just switched from Opera to Mozilla... I am speechless ! Browsing is so fast and smooth. OK, I have cable (10.0mbps) connection, but still IE6 is pain in the "rear part of my body"...  ;D

Mozilla is great. It starts almost instantly when I click on icon.
But, one thing I don't understand... I was going to download 0.7 version, but now, it looks loke I have 0.8.0+ version. I am unable to use those skins in download section. There is sign right next to each one that says:  "THIS VERSION OF THE THEME IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR BUILD."   ::)

Anyway, themes are not so important at this point. Most important thing is that this great browser does it's primary job - Internet browsing.

And it does it  damn good !  ;)

Cheers and thanks for telling me about this one...  :D

P.S. I like this description very much (attachment)...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 07:07:04 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 07:07:47 AM »
And I became Mozilla user...

techie101

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »
People,

I know we have all the Mozilla lovers here, and I hear talk of MyIE2.

As has been said, MyIE2 is an IE overlay which actually works really well with some nice features, but I am now testing another competitor.....Avant Browser.

AB is also an IE overlay which integrates seemlessly with IE so no config settings have to be changed, and bookmarks are automatically transferred.  Thus far, it is very fast at loading pages and shows no instablility.
It uses about the same memory as IE.  The interface is clean and well laid out....colorfull too.  I like the multi-page cascade feature where I can look at as many windows as I wish at the same time.

Included Ad popup blocker works adequately.

Both Avant and MyIE2 are choices if you do not like the stock MS browser.  Truthfully, I never had a problem with IE.  It's just boring.  Netscape gave me trouble at times and you could never really uninstall it.  IT mangled my computer when I tried.  

As for Mozilla....it's good but not for me.

I will be running an evaluation on MyIE2 in a few days when I finish with Avant and will let you know how it turns out.

Both will be tested on W98,and ME systems.

techie

www.avantbrowser.com
www.myie2.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 05:44:42 PM by techie101 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 10:55:31 PM »
sasha I think skins are for mozilla 1.5 and higher not thunderbird

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 03:32:10 AM »
I'm testing MyIE2 and I'm very, very satisfied with results... so far so good. Works much, much better than IE6, also has so many nice features included. Among the others, it has wonderful option of installing additional plug-ins. There is also FlashSave plug-in wich is very useful to me. Tabs, pop-up windows (ads) blocker and integration of IE's favorites are just few of many features that puts this browser on the top two... Mozilla Firebird and MyIE2.

I'm happy...  ;D

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 03:33:53 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

techie101

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 12:41:42 AM »
SZ,

What OS are you using MyIE2 with?
MyIE2 has been known to crash Win98.

Remember that both Avant and MyIE2 are only overlays~!
They still use the IE engine.  They are faster because they filter out most of the junk that slows down loading.

I ran Avant browser on W98 and ME OS with no problems.
Avant worked fast,  was feature rich and stable.

Could you provide some info as to memory usage of MyIE2?  How stable is it in multiple window operation?
If you can test it fully, it would save me a great deal of time.  I would be interested in your test results.

Mozilla is a different bird all together and functionality is not based on the IE engine.

I give Avant an overall rating of 8 out of 10.
The drawback is that it still runs on the IE engine and thus suceptible to IE vulnerabilities.

Thanks
techie
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 12:45:19 AM by techie101 »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 01:46:56 AM »
What OS are you using MyIE2 with? MyIE2 has been known to crash Win98.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Some system specifications:
AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 Mb DDRAM...
Firewall: Zone Alarm Free Edition 4.5.538.000
Antivirus: avast! Home Edition
Malware killer: "a squared 2 (a2)"

Remember that both Avant and MyIE2 are only overlays~! They still use the IE engine.

I know. I noticed also, that many features from IE were just cloned into MyIE2. There was no need to setup some things in settings. My favourites were just intgrated automaticaly into MyIE2...

Avant worked fast,  was feature rich and stable.

MyIE2 works just great... fast and very, very reliable. This one is also very stable, I haven't noticed any signs of unstability.

Could you provide some info as to memory usage of MyIE2?  How stable is it in multiple window operation?
If you can test it fully, it would save me a great deal of time.  I would be interested in your test results.

No problem Techie...

Mem.usage: cca. 15,850 - sometimes little less, sometimes little more.. it depends what are you doing in MyIE2.

Multiple windows acts like million dollars. So stable, no any signs of crashing or something... There is also possibility to work in TAB mode... it's very easy to switch beetwen pages that you are watching... you can surf whatever site you want, and keep your eye on, let's say, this forum... next tab, you can define something else, and so on, and so on...

Pop up blocker is just wonderful. It stops every single pop-up windows that tries to jump in front of you... but, what's the best thing, every time it blocks some pop-up window, MyIE2 asks you do you want to give your permission for this site to show pop-ups in the future. It has learning mode... something so clever... wonderful !!! It is very useful, 'cause, sometimes I visit some sites where I must see pop-up windows. Those are not adds, but some useful information that I need to know... Very offten I visit some forums. If someone sent me a personal message, and it arrived in my message box, first thing when I start that page, pop-up window comes to screen with message that I should check my inbox...

I give MyIE2 an overall rating of 9 out of 10.

...and that's because I like Download Menager in Mozilla Firebird a lot more that in MyIE2. They made it exactly like in IE, boring... Firebird has wonderful download menager with pop-up info (it comes from your Windows Taskbar)... otherwise, I would give 10 to MyIE2...

Anyway, I use both browsers now, 'cause I make some web sites using flash as much as HTML, and I need both to be able to test my sites on IE engine, but also on Netscape engine...

Cheers !

Sasha Z.Craftec
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 04:07:32 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

techie101

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 02:52:10 AM »
Sasha,

Thank you for posting the results of your test on MyIE2.
From your results, I can see that both Avant and MyIE2 have much in common as to their reliability, ease of operation, low memory usage, and the bells and whistles.

I do miss the IE links toolbar.  I did not see a way to add it into either one of the browsers.

What I did not like about either was the Roboform.
Although it might appeal to some, it is only a 30 day trial and I could not find out what to do with it at the end of the trial period.
In addition, I am not wholly in favor of any program that records my passwords.

I disabled the Auto Complete in IE for that same reason.

techie

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 02:53:46 AM »

CoJo

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 03:24:51 AM »
techie,
how do I disable Auto Complete in IE?

cojo

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2004, 04:23:55 AM »
There is also possibility to work in TAB mode...
cloned from mozilla  >:(

I really don't believe in that... That feature wasn't available in older versions of Mozilla... it started to show up in latest versions (Firebird 0.7, 0.8). Who knows, maybe that idea comes from developers of Avant Browser or MyIE2 developers originally. No one knows for sure who stole it from who. Anyway, I really, really, REALLY don't think it's so important who came up with that idea first... My next door neighbour likes to wear blue shirts... I liked that idea, so I started to do the same think... Do you guys think that he should sue me for that ? I mean, it's stupid... like child's play: I did it first, no you are not... No, I did it first... no you're not...

Most important is that we are richer for one wonderful browser feature.

Message to MacLover2000: I have something for you. Yeah, you're right... my new MacStyle skin for avast!, called "O-Sti-X"... So, you are the first one who found out. I just finished it 5 minutes ago... it is dedicated to you. BTW, any news from MacWorld ?

Question for MacLover: I wonder, what I have to put on my skin and not to violate Mac copyrights ? I mean, I used some MacStyle look like graphics... just tell me what would be appropriate to put on that skin... something like: "All trademarks are copyrighted by Macintosh" or something like that... please, write me exactly what I should put on that skin, 'cause my english still is not perfect... I don't wanna stigmatize something stupid...

Techie wrote:
What I did not like about either was the Roboform.
Although it might appeal to some, it is only a 30 day trial and I could not find out what to do with it at the end of the trial period.

Exactly, Techie you're 100% right. But I was more careful than you. I checked what that Roboform exactly is and I also don't like any application that saves my passwords. Then they are not passwords anymore. I didn't even wanted to install that Roboform... who need that anyway ? some people over 70 ? (No offence to some seniors, no hard feelings)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 11:54:34 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

trigger

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2004, 03:42:36 PM »
You can use roboform as freeware with some limitations. Max 30 passcard for instance. Don't know exactly what else.
You can select which site the program should save and which ones not. So you can choose never to save more important passwords, and do save the passwords you just need because the site demands it.

BTW I do not like MYIE2, because it does not allow me to see certain things, other browsers do. This is a vague description, but I can not remember anymore what was my problem. I can try to find out.

Peter