Author Topic: WTF is Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp]  (Read 4523 times)

WHY

WTF is Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp]
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »
I use QuickBooks pro 2000, copied from a friend, and have not used since I started using Avast. Weekly scans are clean. But when I opened QB went to invoices the avast warning thing popped  up and brought an otherwise productive day to a screeching halt. I have searched for more info on Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp], but the only place I have found anything is on the avast VSP history 27.11.2006 - 0651-0. And this topic in this forum http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25171.0 is the only thing I can find for Win32:Agent (other than the "We'll remove your virus, for only $49.98!" adds). Now my question is this so new that nobody has any info on it or is it part of the program I was using and not a problem. Any info would much appreciated

UPDATE: a complet scan shows that only some intuit (QB) files are infected and nothing else. The dates they were changed are before 7/10/2005. No other pevious scans detected any thing.  So dose this mean that Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp] was dormant. Or what???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:21:19 PM by WHY »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: WTF is Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:45:21 PM »
So dose this mean that Win32:Agent-DEP [Drp] was dormant. Or what???
Well... could be... I'll suggest that you:
1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.
4) Download, install, update and run other trojan remover tools:
    a-squared
    Free AVG Antispyware
    SUPERantispyware
    Spyware Terminator
The best things in life are free.

WHY

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
Thanks Tech. I've used AVG and a-squared I'll try the others.

I still haven't found anything about Win32:Agent, what is it a virus, worm, trojan or other ??? or how much damage it might cause

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »
It is a Trojan and the [Drp] I would say is for dropper, indicating that it probably drops or downloads other files ?

However I would confirm the detection.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions) and periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.
Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives, how to report and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

Quote from: WHY
I use QuickBooks pro 2000, copied from a friend, and have not used since I started using Avast.
However, since the origin of QB is suspect, you got it from a friend, who got it from where. We obviously can't condone how you came by this program, but when not got from an authorised source it is quite possible you could have also received an unwanted gift.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WHY

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
We obviously can't condone how you came by this program
I just looked and it is an original cd I installed from, wich still dosn't explane why only the QB files are infected.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
As David said it could be a false positive identification, which all anti-malware programs suffer from from time to time. You need to follow the procedure David mentioned and send the file detected to avast! so they can alter the malware signature so that it no longer detects the legitimate program.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:52:53 PM »
As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.