Author Topic: firewall not on  (Read 31103 times)

zeb

Re: firewall not on
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service   Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Indexing Service   Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.      Manual   Local System
IPSEC Services   Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver.   Started   Automatic   Local System
LexBce Server      Started   Automatic   Local System
Logical Disk Manager   Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and sends disk volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information may become out of date. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service   Configures hard disk drives and volumes. The service only runs for configuration processes and then stops.      Manual   Local System
Messenger   Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Disabled   Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider   Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. If this service is stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Net Logon   Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a domain.      Manual   Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing   Enables an authorized user to access this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet. If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local System
Netropa NHK Server      Started   Automatic   Local System
Network Connections   Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and remote connections.   Started   Manual   Local System
Network DDE   Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on different computers. If this service is stopped, DDE transport and security will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Disabled   Local System
Network DDE DSDM   Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.       Disabled   Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA)   Collects and stores network configuration and location information, and notifies applications when this information changes.   Started   Manual   Local System
Network Provisioning Service   Manages XML configuration files on a domain basis for automatic network provisioning.      Manual   Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider   Provides security to remote procedure call (RPC) programs that use transports other than named pipes.      Manual   Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts   Collects performance data from local or remote computers based on preconfigured schedule parameters, then writes the data to a log or triggers an alert. If this service is stopped, performance information will not be collected. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Network Service
Plug and Play   Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system instability.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Portable Media Serial Number Service   Retrieves the serial number of any portable media player connected to this computer. If this service is stopped, protected content might not be down loaded to the device.      Manual   Local System
Print Spooler   Loads files to memory for later printing.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Protected Storage   Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.   Started   Automatic   Local System
QoS RSVP   Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets.      Manual   Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager   Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address.      Manual   Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager   Creates a network connection.   Started   Manual   Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager   Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of the Properties dialog box.      Manual   Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)   Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services.   Started   Automatic   Network Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator   Manages the RPC name service database.      Manual   Network Service
Removable Storage         Manual   Local System
Routing and Remote Access   Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments.      Disabled   Local System
Secondary Logon   Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Security Accounts Manager   Stores security information for local user accounts.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Security Center   Monitors system security settings and configurations.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Server   Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Shell Hardware Detection   Provides notifications for AutoPlay hardware events.   Started   Automatic   Local System
Smart Card   Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.      Manual   Local Service
SSDP Discovery Service   Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.   Started   Manual   Local Service
System Event Notification   Tracks system events such as Windows logon, network, and power events.  Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.   Started   Automatic   Local System
System Restore Service   Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties   Started   Automatic   Local System

zeb

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 07:16:39 PM »
sorry, i had to do that in 2 posts.

MrRAlan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
Are you using Windows XP SP2?  If you are still on SP1 I would suggest upgrading to SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 08:46:08 PM »
sorry, i had to do that in 2 posts.
Sorry, I can't read the posts... all the columns are messed... I'll try to look...
The best things in life are free.

zeb

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »
Is sp2 the one that came out about 2 1/2 yrs ago or so?
if yes, than i do have sp2

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 08:54:41 PM »
Are you using Windows XP SP2?  If you are still on SP1 I would suggest upgrading to SP2.
Oopss... Without SP2 you're without a firewall...  :o
Update your Windows www.windowsupdate.com  :)

zeb

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 11:00:27 PM »
When i went to that link, it tells me-
Your computer has already been upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
I am wondering if i should just click on that restore default button, i mentioned earlier.
sorry to be a pain in the butt!
and I do appreciate all your help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 11:31:03 PM »
I suggest you download, install and use WinSnap. A screenshot application that allows you to post pictures...
http://www.ntwind.com/
I picture will talk better than 1000 words.
Try this please...

zeb

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 11:53:51 PM »
Hi, just downloaded that.
I have to leave for a few hours.
I will check back later, Thank you!

zeb

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »
How do you show a screen shot here?
do you have to upload it to a pic hosting site?
I see there are some free firewalls out there,
think i should go ahead and download one and just
forget about trying to get my windows firewall to work?
can anybody recommend one? Thanks

MrRAlan

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
Look in your services.  You are looking for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).  Make sure this is set for automatic.  If not, set it to automatic and then Start the service or reboot the PC.  Then try your firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 12:37:09 AM »
I see there are some free firewalls out there,
think i should go ahead and download one and just
forget about trying to get my windows firewall to work?
can anybody recommend one? Thanks

When you post at the bottom of the input text box you will see Additional Options. Click the browse button and find the saved screenshot and attach it. Not there are only limited image types and please crop any images to the relevant part and dont post a complete screenshot which could be massive in both size, area and file size (KB).

- Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Comodo, Sunbelt Kerio, Jetico, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zeb

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 05:24:16 AM »
Where do i go to find my services?
thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:13:17 PM »
Where do i go to find my services?
Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services