Author Topic: System crash - PLEASE HELP!  (Read 9209 times)

Groomerdriver

System crash - PLEASE HELP!
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:13:21 AM »
I have a 4 yr old Sony PC (1.5 P4, 512 mb RAM, XP SP2) that will not boot all the way.  It boots as far at showing the PCI device listing, and that's all.  Only have a flashing cursor underneath the listing.  Will not get to Windows sartup.

Any ideas what's toast?  OP system?  HD?  What can/should I try or look for.  I know PC's and OP system well enough to be dangerous!!!  ???

Al always Avast friends...thank you for any help you can give this "not a teckie" guy!

Jim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: System crash - PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:17:37 AM »
Doesn't it even load Windows boot loader and/or Windows boot logo?
How long is this computer turned off (without been able to boot)?
Any error message while booting?
What was the last thing you've done in this computer before the problem appear?
The best things in life are free.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »
Doesn't it even load Windows boot loader and/or Windows boot logo?
How long is this computer turned off (without been able to boot)?
Any error message while booting?
What was the last thing you've done in this computer before the problem appear?

No windows boot or logo.
Computer is run on a daily basis..started OK this AM
No error mesages..

It crashed while I was gone today.  My wife said that the pointer "froze"....and she either pulled the plug on the computer, or turned it off via the on/off button, then pulled the plug.  She left it unplugged for a bit, then plugged it back in.

When she went to restart it, it booted up to the listing of the PCI devices.  My attempts to get into safe boot mode didnt work.  I was able to get to the bios configuration (by pressing F2 I think) but that's it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:47:28 AM »
Seems a hardware failure due to the hard power off...
Difficult to say... Sorry...
Is the HDD being detected by the BIOS?
At which PCI device does the load stop?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »
If you can enter the BIOS configuration, like Tech said, is the HDD detected?
Can it be detected manually from the BIOS interface?
If yes, can you check the boot order to make sure the HDD is first? Then try disabling any non-essential on-board devices that might be causing the boot to hang. E.g. Network Interface (NIC), USB, Firewire, PCMCIA (PC card) - then if you still get nothing, modem, sound.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Groomerdriver

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »
Seems a hardware failure due to the hard power off...
Difficult to say... Sorry...
Is the HDD being detected by the BIOS?
At which PCI device does the load stop?

When I go intot he BIOS (F2 I think) it is seeing the HD.
THe load stops after all of the PCI devices are detected.  I shows the complete list....then underneath the list the cursor is blinking....next would be the OS load but it's not loading.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:22:01 PM »
Groomerdriver, try do disconnect any hardware (like modem, sound card, Network Interface (NIC), USB, Firewire, PCMCIA (PC card), like Vladimyr said). Can you copy the contents of the bios messages appearing in your screen? What PCI devices are being detected?

Groomerdriver

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
If you can enter the BIOS configuration, like Tech said, is the HDD detected?
Can it be detected manually from the BIOS interface?
If yes, can you check the boot order to make sure the HDD is first? Then try disabling any non-essential on-board devices that might be causing the boot to hang. E.g. Network Interface (NIC), USB, Firewire, PCMCIA (PC card) - then if you still get nothing, modem, sound.

Your getting a little over my head.....
I think the HD is #3 in the boot order...

I just went and tried to do some things on the "bad" PC.  THe HD was #3.  I moved it to #1.  After I did that all I got was a blank screen...I didn't even get the PCI listing.  I restored the default settings and it booted up again showing the PCI devices.

THis isnt good is it?  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
I just went and tried to do some things on the "bad" PC.  THe HD was #3.  I moved it to #1.  After I did that all I got was a blank screen...I didn't even get the PCI listing.
If I were you, I'll take the HDD to other computer and make a full backup of all things on it... before messing with your documents & data.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:39:02 PM »
Groomerdriver, try do disconnect any hardware (like modem, sound card, Network Interface (NIC), USB, Firewire, PCMCIA (PC card), like Vladimyr said). Can you copy the contents of the bios messages appearing in your screen? What PCI devices are being detected?

No modem
No Sound card
Don't think I have a NIC
USB is internal
No Firewire
Only card is a ATI video card - should I just pull it out?

PCI listing as shown (I am not showing "vendor no" and "device ID" as I think they're not needed here)

Bus No  Device No Func No    Device Class             IRQ
0            31             1         IDE Controller             14/15
0            31             2         Serial Bus Controller      3
0            31             4         "         "       "             9
0            31             5         Multimedia controller     10
1            0               0         Display controller          11
2            10              0         Mass storage controller   9
2            13              0         Network controller          9
2            14              0         Serial bus controller        12

Groomerdriver

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »
I just went and tried to do some things on the "bad" PC.  THe HD was #3.  I moved it to #1.  After I did that all I got was a blank screen...I didn't even get the PCI listing.
If I were you, I'll take the HDD to other computer and make a full backup of all things on it... before messing with your documents & data.

Is it possible to simply pull out the primary HD (60 gb Maxtor) out of the PC and install it as a 2nd HD on this PC? (eMachines T6524)?  I have installed a 2nd HD in the "bad" computer (200 gb Seagate - had to use a seperate IDE card controller)....I'm hoping I dont lose that info too.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »
Tech - are you still there????

Diamond Life

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
Well, this happened to me once, or at least it did. I turned on my computer and it won't show my account on the log-on screen. I don't recommend doing this, but at least you might get your computer back... Try everything that the other people said. If those don't work the second time you did it, you can re-install windows. Un-plug the disc drive (CD-DVD). then open the CD holder. Put in the OS CD, close the CD holder, turn on your computer and re-plug the drive back...re-plug it about 2-4 seconds after you turn on the comp. It will then load the OS CD (it might not), If it doesn't...I have no clue what to do.

(Don't try this unless you have no other option)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
Is it possible to simply pull out the primary HD (60 gb Maxtor) out of the PC and install it as a 2nd HD on this PC? (eMachines T6524)?
Sorry... I need to get out for some hours...
You can add that HDD as the second in another machine.
There is a jumper (piece of plastic/metal) that must be changed from MASTER to SLAVE in order to use this HDD as a second (non-master) in the other computer.

I have installed a 2nd HD in the "bad" computer (200 gb Seagate - had to use a seperate IDE card controller)....I'm hoping I dont lose that info too.
If you disconnect this HD, will the other, the 1st, boot?

Groomerdriver

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
Is it possible to simply pull out the primary HD (60 gb Maxtor) out of the PC and install it as a 2nd HD on this PC? (eMachines T6524)?
Sorry... I need to get out for some hours...
You can add that HDD as the second in another machine.
There is a jumper (piece of plastic/metal) that must be changed from MASTER to SLAVE in order to use this HDD as a second (non-master) in the other computer.

I have installed a 2nd HD in the "bad" computer (200 gb Seagate - had to use a seperate IDE card controller)....I'm hoping I dont lose that info too.
If you disconnect this HD, will the other, the 1st, boot?

OK I understand...thanks for being so helpful!  Yes I understand changing the HD from a master to a slave.  No I haven't tried disconnecting the 2nd HD.

I'm starting to think that I should spend a few $$ by taking it in to a local computer shop, rather than messing around and potentially losing ALL of my data.  My 2nd 200gb Seagate contains all of our pictures and other items.