Author Topic: Windows Update slightly broke Avast  (Read 2225 times)

Offline moordrake

Windows Update slightly broke Avast
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
After downloading and installing 7 updates today (July 19, 2007) from Microsoft for XP and Office, Windows Security Center is now telling me my Avast is out of date.

Ive tried updating Avast and rebooting several times and several diffrent ways. It always says it is already up to date.

I have checked the box in the security center saying to no longer monitoer this item, I have my own soultion. Just to get rid of the annoying security center message.

Just thought someone at that end would like to know of this issue.

Windows XP Pro 32-bit
Avast! Pro 4.7 (4.7.1001)
VPS File 000755-0  07/09/2007

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Windows Update slightly broke Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
Check your system time,date. Donèt know why, but sometimes the clock,calender gets reset.

Offline Navvy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
When I installed the Microsoft monthly updates today (11 July) Avast popped up a red warning saying my registration had expired and I was unprotected.  I checked, and it was not due to expire until 1st August.

I filled in the registration form and received the email, but did not immediately enter the new key.

After MS Update had restarted the computer, Avast was running happily again and updating OK despite still using the old key.

Maybe there was something odd about the installation procedure  for one of the MS updates - one was a microcode upgrade for Intel processors?

My clock is correct, and I'm using Avast free version on WinXP Pro with an Intel processor.

Everything's still working fine, and I've now installed the new Avast key.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:45:49 AM »
Hope this helps with Windows Security Center is now telling me my Avast is out of date.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

Everything's still working fine, and I've now installed the new Avast key.
Glad to know... yes, indeed MS updates could 'change' something in system that make things act weird... Glad that only a boot solves all problems.
The best things in life are free.