Author Topic: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x  (Read 31471 times)

avastuser1

Latest update slowed down Vista 32x
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:49:58 AM »
Hi,

The latest update to Avast slowed my computer waaaay down. v1074

Currently running Windows Vista Home Premium.

If I turn off the "Standard Shield" everything fine.

But if I turn "Standard Shield" on, it takes about 30-40 seconds to simply open firefox, or IE, or Outlook, control panel, notepad, my computer, etc. Anything.

Actually browsing the internet once Firefox is open is still fast, and so is checking email. But when the computer has to start any software, shut down, start up, etc., it lags and lags.

Just thought I'd share in case others report similar problems.

Antarctica

Re: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:04:16 AM »
Hi,

The latest update to Avast slowed my computer waaaay down. v1074

Currently running Windows Vista Home Premium.

If I turn off the "Standard Shield" everything fine.

But if I turn "Standard Shield" on, it takes about 30-40 seconds to simply open firefox, or IE, or Outlook, control panel, notepad, my computer, etc. Anything.

Actually browsing the internet once Firefox is open is still fast, and so is checking email. But when the computer has to start any software, shut down, start up, etc., it lags and lags.

Just thought I'd share in case others report similar problems.

I had similar problems right after the update but strangely everything came back to normal after a couple of reboot. ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »
Does avast! tray icon spin continuously during those 30 seconds?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »
What are the Standard Shield sensitivity settings, Normal is the default ?

Though that if it was the same before the update shouldn't see any change. I certainly don't see any change in ny system after the update.

For me, Firefox has always been a slow starter, mine take about 10 seconds and that hasn't changed, I have 27 Extensions installed and running, so all of these with be scanned when opened.

Do you have a lot of extensions ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »
Does avast! tray icon spin continuously during those 30 seconds?
Igor, some times it is not spinning but avast can be freezed... isn't it possible?
It seems that you've changed the avast settings without knowing what you were doing...
Enabling 'Show detailed information on action performed' isn't more reliable to follow avast behavior?
The best things in life are free.

nick.walters

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »
I get exactly the same symptoms.  The Avast icon doesn't spin more that usual (a couple of times when I first try to run an application, then nothing).  Each application typically takes 20-30 seconds to open, often with "not responding" initially.  It's only started happening since the latest update was applied.  I'm running Vista Home Premium.

jc3131

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »
I am having the same problems. I have had my laptop for about 1 month now and it has been running fine, even with the free trial of Norton that it came with. Norton decided to stop updating so I uninstalled it and went back to Avast and Zonealarm which I had on my previous machine. At first everything was fine, but a few days ago even though my internet speed is showing what it should be when I test it, it is taking ages to load web pages. This happening with both IE and FireFox. It is doing my head in, and a few times I have felt like throwing the laptop out of the window (not a good idea).

When I stop the Avast protection I can acces web pages a lot quicker, but as soon as I turn avast back on it slows right down.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice on what could be happening.

Cheers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:01:27 PM »
What if you only pause the Standard Shield provider?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »
@ jc3131

Whilst there shouldn't have been any difference between two versions of avast and having had Norton previously, NAV is notorious for remnants even after an uninstall, so it might be best to try a removal tool.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
You can also download SymNRT, a Norton uninstall tool that uninstalls all Norton 2004/2005/2006 products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jc3131

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »
@ jc3131

Whilst there shouldn't have been any difference between two versions of avast and having had Norton previously, NAV is notorious for remnants even after an uninstall, so it might be best to try a removal tool.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
You can also download SymNRT, a Norton uninstall tool that uninstalls all Norton 2004/2005/2006 products.

Cheers for the reply.

I ran the installer and it's still slow. I paused the shield and it wasn't any quicker, I then stoped avast and the web pages loaded quickly but as soon as I turn it back on it slows right down. Would it be worth me doing a clean install of Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
Would it be worth me doing a clean install of Avast?
It won't harm...

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
Are you using ZoneAlarm firewall?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nick.walters

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
Pausing or Terminating the Standard Shield resolves the problem.  With the Standard Shield running, the problem comes back.  I've only used Avast since I got the PC, so there is no conflict with old A/V.  All other security stuff is std. Vista - Windows Firewall, Defender etc.

jc3131

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 11:30:38 PM »
Would it be worth me doing a clean install of Avast?
It won't harm...

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Did everything listed above and its exactly the same, when I turn off Avast its fine, when it's back on viewing web pages is very slow.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:05:50 AM »
Are you using ZoneAlarm firewall?

Thanks
Vlk

jc3131 is using Zone Alarm, if that is who you were addressing your question..