Author Topic: *** Introducing: beta version of upcoming avast update (now 4.7.1096)  (Read 146137 times)

bcool

Re: *** Introducing: beta version of upcoming avast update (now 4.7.1091)
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »
Thanks a bunch.  It would appear that the only thing telling Avast that its version is .1091 are the registry entries.  "Several" would not be adequate in my case - all files show .1087 which I won't worry about just now.  As you say, this will be cleaned up later.  According to my log, whatever happened to me this morning was successful.  I'm just not sure what it was. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Iso-G

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »
Hi,
I installed the latest beta, Version 4.7.1091, a few hours ago.
This beta is working with no problem so far.
( just ran the on-demand scan for a folder after rebooted PC )

Windows XP Home SP 2 (full patched)
Comodo Free Firewall Version 2.4
avast! 4 ( Build 4.7.1091 )
IECookiesView / SpywareBlaster / Spybot S&D (Immunize, SDHelper) / Spyware Terminator

gdiloren

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
Just updated the beta program automatically on Vista. So far, no problems. Just asking myself why the program is automatically updating itself with the virus definition file, not separately, since my settings for upgrading to the newest version are "manual" (should be the green box there!). :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
This is a forced update as Vlk mentioned earlier.

Sorry, another forced update is going to happen in a short while (4.7.1091).
Hopefully, the last one.

I apologize for the inconvenience, this is really important to us (the problem we're chasing generates huge traffic on our updating servers and we absolutely need to have it solved).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »
Thanks David, I would have upgraded anyway, the fastest the better. Only problem is that you are forced to reboot after update but for having AVAST strong and in shape, I'll do that little sacrifice after all!! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2007, 10:31:26 PM »
I'll do that little sacrifice after all!! :)
Why do we hate to boot? ;D
Strange, isn't it? We hate to boot after install anything... seems a lose of time, don't we think?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2007, 11:21:38 PM »
Thanks David, I would have upgraded anyway, the fastest the better. Only problem is that you are forced to reboot after update but for having AVAST strong and in shape, I'll do that little sacrifice after all!! :)

You are not 'forced' to reboot, there is a choice and you can decline a reboot and do it a convenient time for you. This is most frequently what I do as the reason I'm on-line is because I want to do something (dial-up connection) once I finish what I'm doing I go off-line finish anything else outstanding and only then reboot.

martosurf

« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2007, 04:02:13 AM »
In my well mantained PC the complete shutdown / log on cycle takes no less than 30-45 seconds and often 1 1/2 minutes depending how many programs must be closed and task finished. The same way, the power-on sequence takes about a minute until I can start working - sit on tray are avast!, outlook2007, CFOS and a few more utils and some drivers are loaded via registry.
I think without all that load Windows should restart really really fast.

gdiloren

« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2007, 08:50:38 PM »
In my well mantained PC the complete shutdown / log on cycle takes no less than 30-45 seconds and often 1 1/2 minutes depending how many programs must be closed and task finished. The same way, the power-on sequence takes about a minute until I can start working - sit on tray are avast!, outlook2007, CFOS and a few more utils and some drivers are loaded via registry.
I think without all that load Windows should restart really really fast.
I sure envy you. What kind of system do you have? I would be surprised if you have mammouth Comodo 3 Firewall... ;)

martosurf

« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »
hi!
I'm running WinXP Pro w/sp2 on a P4 2.4 ghz w/1 g ram, the mobo is a gigabyte with SCSi chipset (not the best out there).

For firewall I use the built-in one. I tried CPF 3 some days ago and I *really* like it, it's a very major version over earlier 2.4. It launches faster than previous version yet it's way more powerfull - and lighter on resources.
Actually I uninstalled it because I don't need a real-and-robust firewall (I used ZA and Tiny for several years, never can do it with Outpost) and sp2 built-in just works fine, but may be I give it a try again when the Spanish version hits the web.

To achieve maximun performance I have deactivated some services I never use/need, do a hard-disk cleanup followed by a registry clean-up and registry defragmentation (TuneUp Utilities) then I run an off-line followed by full/by access on-line hard disk defrag (PerfectDisk 8). Then, make a partition image with Acronis at boot.

One of the things a like more about avast! is its low impact on system performance and its high detection rate - despite some nasty malware I found the other day and avast! didn't recognize it.

See you!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2007, 03:36:32 AM »
hi!
I'm running WinXP Pro w/sp2 on a P4 2.4 ghz w/1 g ram, the mobo is a gigabyte with SCSi chipset (not the best out there).

For firewall I use the built-in one. I tried CPF 3 some days ago and I *really* like it, it's a very major version over earlier 2.4. It launches faster than previous version yet it's way more powerfull - and lighter on resources.
Actually I uninstalled it because I don't need a real-and-robust firewall (I used ZA and Tiny for several years, never can do it with Outpost) and sp2 built-in just works fine, but may be I give it a try again when the Spanish version hits the web.

To achieve maximun performance I have deactivated some services I never use/need, do a hard-disk cleanup followed by a registry clean-up and registry defragmentation (TuneUp Utilities) then I run an off-line followed by full/by access on-line hard disk defrag (PerfectDisk 8). Then, make a partition image with Acronis at boot.

One of the things a like more about avast! is its low impact on system performance and its high detection rate - despite some nasty malware I found the other day and avast! didn't recognize it.
See you!
This is why I recommend a real-time on-access anti-spyware software.
Spyware Terminator (free) or SUPERAntiSpyware Professional ($)

martosurf

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2007, 04:55:06 AM »
Hi rdmaloyjr!

Certainly you are right, but being minimalistic as I am I would hate to start adding 'layer' after layer of realtime protection when I can use some experience, a bit of "donkey" common sense and a powerfull solution as avast!. The two malware I already sent to avast! team were .EXE files of about 50k (!!) so it's not hard to think that may be a trick somewhere ;)
Following Tech's instructions I checked both files at www.virustotal.org and found they were a Worm and a Trojan (!) detected by several AVs but not by some of the most well-known reputable AVs.

I resist myself to add layers of real-time protection but I do a weekly scan with Spybot, I will try Spyware Terminator since it's free.

By the way, I think some of these malware can be cold-stopped using some kind of HIPS protection like Comodo Personal Firewall PRO 3 - it's light, it's fast and it's powerfull and it doesn't need any database update.

Tnx 4 your post!

Regards.

martosurf

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2007, 05:02:19 AM »
by the way, wich should I install? Spyware Terminator, SUPERAntiSpyware or BOTH?

Tnx in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
by the way, wich should I install? Spyware Terminator, SUPERAntiSpyware or BOTH?
SuperAntispyware free is only on-demand. No services running in background.
SpywareTerminator is both on-access (if you choose so) and on-demand. It could integrate an antivirus too (ClamWin) that works with avast. But it will take resources, better like you've said, use both on-demand only.
The best things in life are free.