Author Topic: How do I re-enable scanning of attached USB drives?  (Read 720 times)

Offline trparky

How do I re-enable scanning of attached USB drives?
« on: October 12, 2023, 09:43:52 PM »
I had to temporarily disable Avast from offering to scan attached USB drives but now I can't figure out how to re-enable it. How do I do so?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I re-enable scanning of attached USB drives?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 02:52:39 AM »
I not entirely sure where you did this nor where Avast 'offered' to scan attached USB Drives. 
Sound like something that might be offered in the Smart scan if you happen to have a USB Drive attached.

But you might be also able to add it to the UI > Settings > Protection Virus Scans > Targeted Scan and add the drive letter.

Though I'm not entirely sure of the benefit of this (as it sounds like on-demand scanning), rather than the File System Shield an on-access scanner that should scan activity wherever that may be.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »
I had to temporarily disable Avast from offering to scan attached USB drives but now I can't figure out how to re-enable it. How do I do so?

Settings --> Notifications --> "Ask to scan external storage"

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 09:47:53 PM »

Settings --> Notifications --> "Ask to scan external storage"

Apart from this one, there is also another auto-starting USB drive scanning option, which is found in the security settings under "file protection".
Look at the attachment.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 12:28:39 AM »
The above is only for anything that is set to automatically run once you plug it in, like an auto-run .exe. That one is on by default, but enabling that doesn't cause Avast to ask any time an external drive is connected, regardless of what's on it.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 10:02:55 AM »
The above is only for anything that is set to automatically run once you plug it in, like an auto-run .exe. That one is on by default, but enabling that doesn't cause Avast to ask any time an external drive is connected, regardless of what's on it.

Yes I know this.  :) ;)
Just wanted to give a little more guidance on USB drive scan settings. ;)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android