Author Topic: today's new definitions (231207-2)  (Read 2650 times)

Offline hdmr

today's new definitions (231207-2)
« on: December 07, 2023, 07:05:04 PM »
Help!

after the suggested computer's restart firefox seems to be blocked

what is going wrong?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: today's new definitions (231207-2)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »
What do you mean by blocked, are you getting any errors, Avast notice/warning, etc. etc. ?

I'm using Firefox right now and have Virus definitions version 231207-4

Try a manual Update of the VPS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline info230

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 09:23:16 PM »
It was two days ago I found the Avast update page in the link below was the only way I could update virus definitions using the 19+ tab that actually worked as the options in the interface hasnt been working nor has automatic updates.  This worked quickly and did not need to reboot to activate.   Two days ago I had version 231204-0 and still have that on looking just now.  How often do these virus definitions get updated,  seems like it is very regularly as the versions folk post here seem to change as quick as the weather.

https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 09:39:02 PM »
If you're having problems with definitions for this long, you may have to uninstall and reinstall Avast. I'm assuming you've tried restarting your computer and doing a repair on Avast since you have had this problem. If you haven't though, try those first before going nuclear.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:46:30 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 09:47:37 PM »
It was two days ago I found the Avast update page in the link below was the only way I could update virus definitions using the 19+ tab that actually worked as the options in the interface hasnt been working nor has automatic updates.  This worked quickly and did not need to reboot to activate.   Two days ago I had version 231204-0 and still have that on looking just now.  How often do these virus definitions get updated,  seems like it is very regularly as the versions folk post here seem to change as quick as the weather.

https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc     

VPS updates usually happen on a daily basis and multiple updates per day 10 min a day is not an unusual occurrence.

What are your Avast Update settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline info230

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
@DavidR,   that often ah ok.    My Avast settings are both set on Automatic updates and enable streaming updates is ticked on.    Just now,  I have gone to the link I posted for the Avast update pageand clicked update 19+ again to download updates,  I will see if this updates from version 231204-0.

Right,   that's done,  just ran update from the link using the 19+tab.  It updated in seconds,  virus definitions 231204-0 from two days ago when I done this from the update page,  it is now 231208-0,   release date today   8th December.    Am I right in thinking maybe virus definitions set to automatic with enable streaming updates ticked on isnt updating multiple times daily.   Yesterday I ran the check for updates under virus definitions in the interface and it told me I was up to date with 231204-0 from 5th December.    With the multiple automatic daily updates if it's running as it should,    does the virus definition version number change with each update   ?

As I only have my laptop on at around 2 hours tops a time booted up from full shut down each time,    2-3 times a day,   in those 2 hours or so it is on each time,  surely that's enough time for automatic daily updates to occur.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:53:43 AM by info230 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:18 PM »
If I've read you right,  in the interface,   Menu > settings > update,     virus definitions and my Avast premium security are set to automatic.   When I've booted up my laptop,  an automatic update may happen, then I get a pop up box saying this has taken place and now I'm thinking about it,   
<snip>

Yes, that is in effect the default setting.
I have Program Updates set to manual (as a regular forum I know when they are released and if there anything that impacts me) that way nothing is downloaded in the background.

Note: on Automatic, the Update happens in the background (when one is available), but it needs a system restart for these changes to be applied.  Then you see what you mentioned, the details on the update.  You could set Program Updates to Notify (or even Manual), so you are aware one is available and then manually apply it at a time convenient to you and then do a system restart after the update.

Given you only have the laptop in use two hours at a time tops, you are definitely going to see disparities in the VPS version, but when one (depending on for how long) is available you could be playing catch up.  However, Streaming VPS Updates (every few minutes) keep the virus signatures up to date until you receive the next VPS Update.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
As I only have my laptop on at around 2 hours tops a time booted up from full shut down each time,    2-3 times a day,   in those 2 hours or so it is on each time,  surely that's enough time for automatic daily updates to occur.

Do you have Fast Startup turned on? It's on by default on Windows 8 and later, so unless you turned it off it is probably still on. If you're turning your computer on and off that often, that could be having an effect on the definitions, and thus a full restart may be required. If you turn fast startup off, that will mean each time you shut down you will fully shut it down and not just put it in what is basically an advanced hibernation, ensuring an actual restart the next time you turn it on.

Try that and see if it makes a difference. The downside of this is that it will take your computer longer to turn on each time, but if you're on a SSD the difference should negligible. And if you turn fast startup off and nothing improves, you can just turn it back on.

Offline info230

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 03:07:07 PM »
I presume fast start up is on as I do not recall turning it off,  am on windows 10.   When I shut my laptop down,  I Click  start that being the four black squares bottom left in task bar,  then click power,   then click shut down.   On the screen it then says shutting down.    I am sure that shuts it right down rather than a long hibernation.  I dont click sleep as that I think is a long hibernation until I open the lid again.   

Where would I find the fast start up on off option ?   

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »
I presume fast start up is on as I do not recall turning it off,  am on windows 10.   When I shut my laptop down,  I Click  start that being the four black squares bottom left in task bar,  then click power,   then click shut down.   On the screen it then says shutting down.    I am sure that shuts it right down rather than a long hibernation.  I dont click sleep as that I think is a long hibernation until I open the lid again.   

You are incorrect. With fast startup turned on, a "Shut down" from the Start Menu doesn't fully shut down your computer. It keeps it in a sort of deep hibernation mode, albeit with all of your tasks closed. It doesn't refresh your kernel or drivers. Only a restart does that.

More info is here https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Also worth pointing out that Sleep and Hibernate are similar, yet distinct functions. But that is neither here nor there.

Where would I find the fast start up on off option ?   

You can do it from your power settings from Control Panel. There are instructions in that How-To Geek above.

Again, this may or may not fix your update issue, but give it a try and see if it does. If it doesn't, you can turn Fast Startup back on.

Offline hdmr

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 05:38:04 PM »
firefox was the bad guy
"cleaned up" and it is ok again

have a nice Christmastime

Offline info230

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 09:41:59 PM »
@Dinobot2,     I have never heard of fast start up.  I am only a basic user and I do struggle with understanding the more indepth side of things,  I try my best and have learnt quite a bit the last week or so sinch integrating in this forum.  I thankyou for your reply.

I have now unchecked fast start up so it is turned off.  I never realised that shutting down as I described with fast start up turned on was a deeper hiibernation mode rather than a complete cold shut down.    I now gather from what I read in the How to Geek page in the link you provided that updates may well not happen when shutting down with fast start up enabled so this could explain why my virus definitions in my Avast premium interface is not updating automatically as I have never had the laptop set with fast start up off.  I will now keep an eye on the interface and see what happens with this fast start up disabled.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:58:10 PM by info230 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 10:11:08 PM »
I never realised that shutting down as I described with fast start up turned on was a deeper hiibernation mode rather than a complete cold shut down.

You are far from being alone. I didn't learn about fast startup until about two years ago when a friend of mine casually mentioned it to me while helping me fix a computer problem over the phone.

I now gather from what I read in the How to Geek page in the link you provided that updates may well not happen when shutting down with fast start up enabled so this could explain why my virus definitions in my Avast premium interface is not updating automatically as I have never had the laptop set with fast start up off.  I will now keep an eye on the interface and see what happens with this fast start up disabled.

As mentioned before, definitions and signature updates don't require a restart from Avast, only program updates do. That being said, Fast Startup has been the cause of some installation issues for people, and unless I'm misreading what you wrote, I get the impression that you're able to update the definitions manually with the file from Avast, and then when you turn the computer back on you'll see they're failing again. So I suggested it as a "this can't hurt to try" sort of measure. Given how often you turn your computer on and off, that probably can't be good for the long term health of your computer.

Offline info230

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 09:24:27 AM »
For program updates,  I usually get a pop up box informing me the system needs to be retstarted for changes to take effect.   I am able to update virus definitions manually from the Avast update page as the Avast interface set to Automatically update my virus definitions doesnt seem to work,    I'm presuming this as the version number stays the same unless I update it manually.  Should the version number change regularly if the automatic updates is working or does the version number only change when there is a program update.  What started happening recently was every so often the Avast task bar icon would have a red cross saying I'm unprotected,  I'd run check for updates form the interface and that would update,  it was saying I was up toi date when it was clearly not and I would stay with the unprotected notice,  then when I foud the Avast update page to do it manually,  that then updated it.

So turning my laptop on and off each time I've done with it.  What would be a good routine for it's health then,  in the morning I put it on to check my e mails and get on facebook while I'm having my coffe,   then shut dow when I need to go in my workshop,  same at lunch, turn it n,  do what I need then shut it down then same in the evening then maybe i will watch some you tube stuff ior a documentary,  I do not own a TV so I do use the laptop for a bit of streaming in the evenings,  then I shut it down when I go to bed.   Is it best to put it on sleep when I've done with it during the day then shut down last thing at night so it only does full start up and shut down once a day. I've had this HP pavillion 17" screen for 7 years trouble free.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 08:37:06 PM »
For program updates,  I usually get a pop up box informing me the system needs to be retstarted for changes to take effect.   I am able to update virus definitions manually from the Avast update page as the Avast interface set to Automatically update my virus definitions doesnt seem to work,    I'm presuming this as the version number stays the same unless I update it manually.  Should the version number change regularly if the automatic updates is working or does the version number only change when there is a program update.  What started happening recently was every so often the Avast task bar icon would have a red cross saying I'm unprotected,  I'd run check for updates form the interface and that would update,  it was saying I was up toi date when it was clearly not and I would stay with the unprotected notice,  then when I foud the Avast update page to do it manually,  that then updated it.

The version number doesn't change regularly, so clicking "Check for Updates" won't change that. That doesn't mean you aren't up to date. But I thought issue was you were getting the red warning saying they aren't up to date? Are you familiar with the streaming updates and how those work?

So turning my laptop on and off each time I've done with it.  What would be a good routine for it's health then.

Either sleep mode or just leave it on, I would suggest. If you only turned it on and off once a day, that would be one thing, but doing it several times a day isn't great, especially if you're still on a HDD.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 08:41:48 PM by Dinobot2 »