Author Topic: NEW Avast version 24.7  (Read 9602 times)

Offline wir1313

Re: NEW Avast version 24.7
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2024, 06:39:15 PM »
Issue has happened three times in the past ten minutes. Here is a report file.
My log looks similar, there is nothing in them that would indicate anomalies. Just info about the time of operation and date...

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2024, 06:46:56 PM »
I'm puzzled by the apparent randomness of this issue. Why did it seem completely fixed for two days on my PC, while continuing to happen with another user? Why did it start happening again for me today?

What is it about Google sites that would cause this to happen?

And as I reported before, why does the problem disappear when I open the session with all the tabs in a Firefox private browser (requiring me to log in again to any Google site such as Gmail or Calendar, which is why I don't use private browser option?

Offline wir1313

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2024, 07:12:36 PM »
I'm puzzled by the apparent randomness of this issue. Why did it seem completely fixed for two days on my PC, while continuing to happen with another user? Why did it start happening again for me today?

What is it about Google sites that would cause this to happen?

And as I reported before, why does the problem disappear when I open the session with all the tabs in a Firefox private browser (requiring me to log in again to any Google site such as Gmail or Calendar, which is why I don't use private browser option?

I don't know, it's also hard for me to determine the potential cause of this phenomenon...

Another step that suggests that this is an Avast problem is that when I run the browser's network traffic through the socks5 proxy on the exact same machine and the only difference is the proxy, i.e. network traffic that Avast is not able to scan, and then I have never been able to encounter a problem... Something is wrong with Avast regarding Google resources. I speculate that something in the context of scanning sometimes hangs or something...

Wireshark sees traffic between the PC and Google, so there is some traffic that uses TLS. It's just that something more local is causing the problem.

Maybe something is wrong with the way Avast rips encrypted traffic... :/

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2024, 09:35:48 PM »
One change I notice today is that before Gmail would show the yellow popup "retrying in 1:00" or "55 seconds" or whatever and when I would click "retry now" it would change the number of seconds to an even longer period instead of refreshing.

Today when I clicked Retry Now it loaded the page correctly.

Are there really only two of us users that are experiencing this issue?? or are there others who are not reporting it because they haven't figured out that it is an Avast problem, not a Firefox or Google bug?

Clearly, disabling Avast web shields corrects the issue immediately, and then the issue recurs when Avast is enabled. This proves it is something in Avast, does it not?

Offline wir1313

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2024, 10:13:54 PM »
One change I notice today is that before Gmail would show the yellow popup "retrying in 1:00" or "55 seconds" or whatever and when I would click "retry now" it would change the number of seconds to an even longer period instead of refreshing.

Are there really only two of us users that are experiencing this issue?? or are there others who are not reporting it because they haven't figured out that it is an Avast problem, not a Firefox or Google bug?

Clearly, disabling Avast web shields corrects the issue immediately, and then the issue recurs when Avast is enabled. This proves it is something in Avast, does it not?

I am rarely logged into my Google account for a long time, so it is hard for me to observe the same behavior of Gmail.

However, I often use various Google services and very often when I try to use them they do not want to load.

As I mentioned earlier... If I try a new tab and enter https://google.com, the page simply does not load, the app window from Google doesn't load either.

There is a white empty page but the URL address flashes in the address bar as if there was an attempt to load.
In addition, you can see the network traffic that was established and the browser itself in the inspection sees the get query to google.com but nothing is downloaded and displayed in the browser as if this traffic disappeared/hung for some reason in Avast.

Disabling Avast or transferring the browser traffic to an SSH tunnel so that Avast does not see it eliminates the problem. So it seems pretty certain that this is a problem with Avast and not something else.

Yes, maybe this is one of those strange situations that affects a very small % of people... And on this forum, as you can see, we are the only two people with such a problem.

Another thing is that these problems started somewhere around the last update, if I remember correctly.

They are strange because it only concerns Google services... So far, I have not noticed other addresses with a similar problem.

One thing that comes to mind is that in a similar period of time, Google announced the final blocking of ads in Chrome and that add-ons will not work... there was also some change with injecting ads on YouTube. But this should not have any effect on our situation. We use Firefox... I also checked clean installations of both several Firefoxes and Chrome itself without any add-ons and on the initial settings and the situation was the same.

Windows' fault also seems impossible because when we turn off Avast or wrap the browser's network traffic in a tunnel it works fine, so it's almost certain that Avast is causing such problems.

But why only with Google and why only with us two... I don't know hmmmm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 10:21:54 PM by wir1313 »

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2024, 01:33:36 AM »

I am rarely logged into my Google account for a long time, so it is hard for me to observe the same behavior of Gmail.

However, I often use various Google services and very often when I try to use them they do not want to load.

As I mentioned earlier... If I try a new tab and enter https://google.com, the page simply does not load, the app window from Google doesn't load either.

There is a white empty page but the URL address flashes in the address bar as if there was an attempt to load.
In addition, you can see the network traffic that was established and the browser itself in the inspection sees the get query to google.com but nothing is downloaded and displayed in the browser as if this traffic disappeared/hung for some reason in Avast.

Disabling Avast or transferring the browser traffic to an SSH tunnel so that Avast does not see it eliminates the problem. So it seems pretty certain that this is a problem with Avast and not something else.

Yes, maybe this is one of those strange situations that affects a very small % of people... And on this forum, as you can see, we are the only two people with such a problem.

Another thing is that these problems started somewhere around the last update, if I remember correctly.

They are strange because it only concerns Google services... So far, I have not noticed other addresses with a similar problem.

One thing that comes to mind is that in a similar period of time, Google announced the final blocking of ads in Chrome and that add-ons will not work... there was also some change with injecting ads on YouTube. But this should not have any effect on our situation. We use Firefox... I also checked clean installations of both several Firefoxes and Chrome itself without any add-ons and on the initial settings and the situation was the same.

Windows' fault also seems impossible because when we turn off Avast or wrap the browser's network traffic in a tunnel it works fine, so it's almost certain that Avast is causing such problems.

But why only with Google and why only with us two... I don't know hmmmm

What i wrote "One change I notice today is that before Gmail would show the yellow popup "retrying in 1:00" or "55 seconds" or whatever and when I would click "retry now" it would change the number of seconds to an even longer period instead of refreshing." is not accurate now, the page simply will not load when I click retry now and I have to close the Firefox window and open a new one and restore previous session to get Gmail to load. And Google search page acts like you describe when I try to load it while Gmail is stalled out.

So my workaround is either disable Avast (unacceptable risk IMO) or use Firefox private browser or just keep closing out Firefox and relaunching every time it happens...

And hope this gets fixed with Avast ver. 24.8 PLEASE!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2024, 02:05:01 AM »
<snip previous quote>
What i wrote "One change I notice today is that before Gmail would show the yellow popup "retrying in 1:00" or "55 seconds" or whatever and when I would click "retry now" it would change the number of seconds to an even longer period instead of refreshing." is not accurate now, the page simply will not load when I click retry now and I have to close the Firefox window and open a new one and restore previous session to get Gmail to load. And Google search page acts like you describe when I try to load it while Gmail is stalled out.

So my workaround is either disable Avast (unacceptable risk IMO) or use Firefox private browser or just keep closing out Firefox and relaunching every time it happens...

And hope this gets fixed with Avast ver. 24.8 PLEASE!

First I don't keep Gmail open all of the time, I check it periodically.

I have a browser shortcut link in Firefox to my Gmail Inbox (plus some others) and haven't experienced any issues when I use that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Neb

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2024, 08:18:18 PM »
I have the same issue since last week. Firefox browser v115.14.0esr (64-bit), Windows 7 (don't ask why).

"Oops… the system encountered a problem (#001) - Retrying..."

When I turn off the Web Shield, the problem goes away.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2024, 11:02:31 PM »
I have the same issue since last week. Firefox browser v115.14.0esr (64-bit), Windows 7 (don't ask why).

Yep. That's three of us here dealing with this issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2024, 11:26:29 PM »

I appreciate that you have win7 - presumably you can't get to the latest version of firefox which is 128.0.3 - this would make it difficult to assign where the problem is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2024, 11:31:55 PM »

I appreciate that you have win7 - presumably you can't get to the latest version of firefox which is 128.0.3 - this would make it difficult to assign where the problem is.

Well, the other two of us that are dealing with this are both Windows 10 users, fully updated with the latest Firefox version, and disabling Avast solves the problem. It is pretty clear that Avast is the culprit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2024, 11:34:45 PM »

Well, the other two of us that are dealing with this are both Windows 10 users, fully updated with the latest Firefox version, and disabling Avast solves the problem. It is pretty clear that Avast is the culprit.

That's where the problem lies as essentially they aren't the same so it is for now the two of you, experiencing the problem.  As I said I haven't experienced this problem.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2024, 10:38:21 PM »
One thing I've noted is that this issue does not happen when Gmail and Google sites are open in a Firefox private browser. So what about Avast is interfering with Google sites in Firefox that is defeated by accessing those sites in a private browser window?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2024, 01:09:38 AM »
One thing I've noted is that this issue does not happen when Gmail and Google sites are open in a Firefox private browser. So what about Avast is interfering with Google sites in Firefox that is defeated by accessing those sites in a private browser window?

I don't use Private Browsing in Firefox very much (mainly banking sites) and certainly not for my Gmail.  I also use uBlock Origin and uMatrix add-ons in Firefox.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2024, 03:43:11 PM »
Today I got the issue that wir1313, Ferrara and Neb had. It's only n=1 (i.e. one time) so I'm still not quite sure, but indeed disabling Web Shield threw the issue away.
I also captured Avast logs at that time and this line seems saying something. Google says it's not a rare issue so Avast might be a kind of victim here...

[2024-08-09 12:54:24.026] [notice ] [nsf_ssl_ms ] [ 4404: 7396] [42A7A8: 109] 71626 decrypt alert: fatal: bad record mac (C) - 142.251.42.131:443, C:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe, 129.0.0.2295

Edit:
I'm running latest beta 24.8.6125.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 03:53:31 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。