Author Topic: NEW Avast version 24.7  (Read 9622 times)

Offline alaltacc

Re: NEW Avast version 24.7
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2024, 01:10:08 AM »
I've tried lots of things (including turning off HTTP/3 in Firefox) and nothing worked. Then, I turned off Webshield in Avast and voilĂ ! Problem solved.

I'll try to reach their support and report the problem. Maybe this will be escalated and resolved. For now, no webshield for me.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2024, 05:24:47 PM »
I've tried lots of things (including turning off HTTP/3 in Firefox) and nothing worked. Then, I turned off Webshield in Avast and voilĂ ! Problem solved.

I'll try to reach their support and report the problem. Maybe this will be escalated and resolved. For now, no webshield for me.

Isn't it risky to turn off webshields while browsing the internet? My present workaround is to use Firefox private browser, where this problem with Google sites (including YouTube, which periodically gives me a popup saying I am offline, and Calendar, which went offline this morning while I was trying to edit an event) does not occur. This approach logs me out of all site accounts every time I close the browser so it is not an ideal solution. Or I use Chrome, where the problem doesn't occur (but then I can't access all my Firefox bookmarks).

Offline alaltacc

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2024, 10:44:16 PM »
The main risk is that a lot of sites will try to dupe you into downloading extensions, executables and such. If you are careful enough, it's not that bad. But, yes, it's best to keep Webshield on, but I'm tired of reloading my GMail tab all the time to get rid of the error message.

I've just called Avast phone support (in my country). I've explained the problem, and the representative sent me an e-mail with the case number so I could reply to this e-mail with more information, what I just did. Let's hope this gets escalated high enough to someone that can in fact check the problem and correct the bug.

I've included the link for this thread in the e-mail I sent.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2024, 02:10:32 PM »
You can count one more person with the same problem in Firefox + GMail - oops the system encountered a problem (#001). For me it started yesterday. I already have done some tests and changes here, including some flags in Firefox (disabling HHTP 3) and the problem persists. Avast updated yesterday, so it probably is the cause.
+1
I've just checked gmail with firefox, no problem at first but when I wanted to go to the next page in my inbox, the same error appeared.
I disconnected and then reconnected to gmail, but I didn't get the error again (for 1/4 of an hour).
The problem therefore seems random to me, and without having consulted this topic I would have found it hard to blame avast.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2024, 05:11:07 PM »
You can count one more person with the same problem in Firefox + GMail - oops the system encountered a problem (#001). For me it started yesterday. I already have done some tests and changes here, including some flags in Firefox (disabling HHTP 3) and the problem persists. Avast updated yesterday, so it probably is the cause.
+1
I've just checked gmail with firefox, no problem at first but when I wanted to go to the next page in my inbox, the same error appeared.
I disconnected and then reconnected to gmail, but I didn't get the error again (for 1/4 of an hour).
The problem therefore seems random to me, and without having consulted this topic I would have found it hard to blame avast.

I'm not too tech-savvy but my guess as to what is happening is that Gmail periodically attempts to automatically refresh the page (every few minutes) to show new messages, and when it does that, Avast shields block it and then Gmail (as well as Calendar and Search and Youtube, or any site administered by Google) gives an error message that it is offline. It is not offline because when I manually refresh or reload any other tab or page or site, it loads instantly. And when Gmail gives this error popup, it becomes impossible to view any Google site. Yesterday I was in the middle of editing an event on Calendar and I got a popup saying I was offline and some functions would not be available. Of course I could not save the edit and had to close out the browser and restore previous session and start over. And when this happens, and I try to open a new tab with Gmail it stalls out, and when I try to open Calendar or Search it just won't load the page and the tab remains blank.

So it's something to do with the site functions of Google sites, esp. Gmail, which Avast is blocking for the past several weeks. It's not really 'random'. Though it's a mystery why more users aren't having the same issue. Seems to be a problem with Windows 10 users of Gmail/Firefox/Avast Free Antivirus.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2024, 06:46:18 PM »
Updated to 24.7.6124 build 24.7.9311.861 today. Problem persists.  >:(

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2024, 10:45:46 PM »
.... Seems to be a problem with Windows 10 users of Gmail/Firefox/Avast Free Antivirus....
I use w7 and avast premium and I have the problem, I don't think it's from this trio.

Offline tester00123

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2024, 11:31:36 AM »
After last update (not 100% sure) AVAST Cpu usage 32-35% all time, when any net activity. Google Chrome.
After restart, cpu near zero. I try off all shield, no change.
Only way reset cpu usage is Win10 restart. I have AVAST few monts, but this is weak or two problem.
Any idea?

Offline thefourthespada

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2024, 02:31:42 PM »
After Updating today with Avast Free. Software Updater going blank. I have done repair in geek:area but no avail, tried changing modify component still the same. So I uninstalled it with avastclear. And the install it again via offline version. Problem was fix, the software updater showed up. But I update it again, problem came back. Software updater going blank again.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2024, 05:33:30 PM »
There is a new version 24.8 today. Perhaps a moderator should start a new thread?

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2024, 06:07:09 PM »
The new version 24.8 is still doing the same bad thing... "Oops, the system encountered a problem..."

Offline alicecampbell

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2024, 06:23:48 PM »
Yes, the same with me. I was wondering if this should be reported to Firefox. Again, the same problem is how to contact their support.

Offline Ferrara

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2024, 06:45:34 PM »
Yes, the same with me. I was wondering if this should be reported to Firefox. Again, the same problem is how to contact their support.

I posted on the Firefox forum: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1455286

This is not a Firefox issue. The problem lies with Avast Free Antivirus. When web shields in Avast are turned off, the problem goes away.

Offline alicecampbell

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2024, 07:08:57 PM »
I've just called Avast phone support (in my country). I've explained the problem, and the representative sent me an e-mail with the case number so I could reply to this e-mail with more information, what I just did. Let's hope this gets escalated high enough to someone that can in fact check the problem and correct the bug.
I've included the link for this thread in the e-mail I sent.

Thanks for your contribution. Let's hope they will get back to you.

I posted on the Firefox forum: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1455286
This is not a Firefox issue. The problem lies with Avast Free Antivirus. When web shields in Avast are turned off, the problem goes away.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 07:13:12 PM by alicecampbell »

Offline wir1313

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2024, 08:17:03 PM »
I am currently on:

Firefox 129.0.2 (64-bit)
Avast Free 24.8.6127 (24.8.9372.862)
Windows 10 22H2

But the exact same problem still persists...

As an additional potential issue, it is possible that the problem also affects account.proton.me and causes video playback to freeze on x.com
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:24:16 PM by wir1313 »