Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 12928 times)

Sabrina

Help!!
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
I am a computer dummy!! I have been having problems with my computer.. dont know if I have viruses that are undetected or not.

Millenium Edition computer, I have downloaded Avast, and Spybot on computer. I was getting Dll errors that were shutting my system down all the time. Had to do a date restore. (restore computer to previous date) that stopped the Dll Kernel 32 errors I was getting. Then I was getting script errors that kept popping up, and it would not let me continue writing scripts. These two major errors plus more.  I would hit a function key, or minimize or maximize a page.. and everything would disappear.  Dont know where any of it went to. 

Recently, I turned on my computer, the screen was grey and all the desktop icons were huge.. and I had "no mouse function". My mouse just wouldnt work or show up on computer monitor. So, I did a recovery disc. Erased everything, and started all over again. Downloaded Avast, which took me three attempts before being successful. Then downloading Spybot.  Now I cannot seem to get my windows updates. Everytime I click on download updates.. something is blocking the downloads.  I get a message in lower message bar saying "pop up window has been blocked", and this is after I have disabled Avast.

I dont know what else to do. I can get instructions on what to do, but since I am computer illiterate.. I mess up the directions because of my own confusion.
Unless something is so very specific.. that it cannot be messed up.

If anyone knows what is going on with my computer.. please let me know what I need to do.  I appreciate so very much in advance anyone that can help me. I am desperate at this point!! Thanks so much!!

philly12

Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
well first you are using the millenium edition of windows which is no longer updated by microsoft.  To be able to help you, I (and most likely avast admins) would like to see what is running on ur computer.  Please download a program called Hijackthis from trend micro.  The link is here: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Once you download the program, install it and run a scan only.  Then look on the bottom left and click save log and when the window pops up to specify where to save the log, save it to your desktop.  Now go onto this avast forum page and click reply.  When u are writing ur response, click on additional options and you can see a space to upload a file.  Upload ur HJT log (click on browse, then desktop, then the hijackthis log) and hit post.  I'll look over ur log and see if i see problems and the avast guys will also help. 

Sabrina

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
Thank you so much for responding!!!! First, I clicked on link you gave me, and it said page could not be found. So I clicked on security on side panel. It told me I had to download internet explorer 6.0 first that my computer could not support content on that site. So I will download internet explorer 6.0 and get back asap!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
Hijackthis Program & Tutorial  - FileHippo Download - HiJackThis - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sabrina

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
Philly12, I hope that Im doing this right. here goes.

Sabrina

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
the first problem I am sure is my millenium edition computer.. which is further problematic by having a dial up connection.Every download is a pain in the patoot!! taking hours to accomplish.. I cannot download the internet explorer 6, which I am saving for down the road.. right now Im concerned with getting the windows updates on my computer.. I couldnt download current version of "hijack this" I had to download an older version the, v2.exe.The new version made my computer continuosly click and flash..

I am hoping and praying that the information I got from the scan is helpful to you.. and includes what you are looking for.  As for me.. I remain desperatly anxious and hopeful that this can be resolved favorably!!  Thanks so very much!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
It is a little easier if you copy the contents into a post (it may take more than one post depending on how big it is), it stops us having to download it to see what is in it, but don't worry about that now.

You don't appear to have an active firewall, what is your firewall ?

Do you know what this is.
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PEOPLEPC ACCELERATED\PEOPLEPC.EXE

Do you have a compac laptop or PC as thses relate to compac.
C:\CPQS\BWTOOLS\SCCENTER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service Connection] c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe

Fix:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
These are considered adware, see http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_136377.htm.

These by implication to the above might also be adware.
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/websearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://home.peoplepc.com/search

I see no reason why a supposed uninstall file needs to run on boot once or otherwise. Suspect as it seems related to the O2 - BHO and R3 entry above.
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [PPalUninstal] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ppaluninst.exe

Unknown, suspect.
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [QRIA] (User 'Default user')
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sabrina

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »
revanelist, I hope that I got that right!!

I have no firewall, I have a desktop computer.. compaq presario. of course ME. and dial up connection.  I have uninstalled ppal as instructed to do from peoplepc.. they thought that was the reason I was being blocked in trying to get my windows updates.. security and otherwise.. but uninstalling ppal, did not help at all.. still getting blocked.

Sabrina

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »
uberrevangelist,
If I understand this correctly; the two files that you mentioned are connected to people pc??  What do I do next?  I am so upset by this whole mess.. I just want to throw the computer. walking away from the computer is the only thing saving it so far!! :(

If you or philly 12 have any instructions as to what I should do next.. I am willing to give it a try... and I completely beg your pardon in advance for the undue torture that this may pose on you!!

philly12

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »
people pc's smart dialer is considered to be a type of adware itself so i wouldnt invest much in their opinion.  You should probably get a firewall for your computer.  Maybe try zone alarm free edition.  Microsoft no longer supports windows ME and will not make any new updates for it. 

Here is some quotes from wikipedia:
"Along with Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE, Microsoft discontinued support for Windows Me on July 11, 2006. Microsoft no longer provides any phone support or security updates for these products because Microsoft considers them obsolete."

"Dan Tynan called it (windows ME) "Mistake Edition" in the PC World article 'Top 25 Worst Tech Products'.[9] He declared Windows Me the fourth-"Worst Tech Product of All Time" (after AOL, RealPlayer, and Syncronys SoftRAM) because of various technical issues and bugs." - i had a windows ME computer and i agree

The only support Microsoft gives for windows ME is here:http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6519
(dont expect much)

Seeing that you also have adware on your computer doesn't make things any easier.  I hated my windows ME computer and it was nothing but problems.  Have you considered buying a new computer? If you are short on money, there are illegal ways to upgrade your computer to windows xp but i'm not going to get into that on this forum unless u are really interested (and desperate).

philly12

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
i want to also help your computer run a little better and clean some probable junk files that you have.  A program called ccleaner works with windows ME (i checked).  Once you download it, clean ur hard drive and also click the registry tab and scan/fix the registry issues.  This may help you somewhat. 

philly12

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
could you explain more about this: "Now I cannot seem to get my windows updates. Everytime I click on download updates.. something is blocking the downloads.  I get a message in lower message bar saying "pop up window has been blocked", and this is after I have disabled Avast."

Some types of adware will block window's updates.  What type of popup is it? could you take a picture using a screen capture device?  If you cant, would it be possible to take a picture with a digital camera and upload the picture?  Maybe just a good description of the the message would help.

Sabrina

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
Philly12,
I have CCleaner on computer.. I will try that.  also, I downloadedutilities tuneup2008.. I got that bit of info from this forum.. anyway... I dont have a clue as to how to capture pic you are talking about.

and by the way Im really really interested and really really desperate!!! :'(I think my email addy is listed on profile.. if not I can get it to you.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! you dont know how much this means to me.. I have been having problems for several months.. and simply put off doing a recovery on this #$@! puter!!  Because I have dial up.. and it takes hours to do simple functions.. or what should be simple!

Im going to see if I can explain this more clearly than before.. but it just may turn out to sound the same...

I log on to windows update site.. I click on scan for updates... the updates appear... 24 ,9, and 1 update for driver.. I click on updates to download,.. and then my screen blinks.. I get a beep sound.. in bottom message bar.. exact wordage is" A pop up window was blocked."  Im sorry that is all I can tell you.. except when I downloaded internet explorer (6) to my desktop... just today.. when ever I try to open this..I get a brief flash of a black box.. and it will not open. I get the same beep sound.. and screen blinks.

I am a desperate computer dummy.. I know how to navigate the simplest and easiest things.. I dont know what regular termenology is.. for those that are more computer literate..  and if you know anything about Stephanie Plum.. the walking disaster.. I am her double or maybe shadow.. !! :)
will wait to hear back from you. Thanks a million..

Sabrina

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
ps Ok.. I dont know if you have to have a specific vesion of CCleaner or not..  Ilooked on it to find how to clean hard drive.. and I didnt see any place where hard drive was listed.  I am still checking that out.. will do the registry clean tho.. am looking into downloading other software to help..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »
Run hijackthis again and if even after uninstalling the PPL stuff the entries are still there FIX them, tick the check box beside them and click FIX Selected, before you do that close anyother open windows.

Leave the entries related to the compac, but fix the others, under the Fix: in my previous post and then run HJT again and post the contents of the new log..