Author Topic: WORM? TROJAN" VIRUS? FALSE POSITIVE?  (Read 2688 times)

wendy k. walker

WORM? TROJAN" VIRUS? FALSE POSITIVE?
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I have just downloaded, updated, and scanned my system with PC Tools SpyWare Doctor. At first I was kind of shocked by the results as I normally scan my system with Avast! at least once a week. I also run SpyBot Search & Destroy about every third day. I also run SuperAntiSpyware every couple of days and I have SpyWareBlaster and SpywareGuard running all of the time.

Avast! always comes back with a clean log as do all of the rest of the things that I run. I also make a habit of going into Safe Mode ever couple of weeks and running all of my scans there too.

OK, my concern comes from all of the crap that SpyWare Doctor has found. I am seriously thinking that everything that it is listing is actually just a bunch of false positives as the program is the 'free' edition and it tells me that I will have to BUY the paid version to be able to remove all of those threats.

I'm attaching a screen shot so that you can see what I am talking about. I would like to know if there is a way that I can submit some of those things to Avast for them to see if they are in fact Trojans that Avast doesn't recognize or are false positives.

Thanks for any advice,

Wendy

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
Re: WORM? TROJAN" VIRUS? FALSE POSITIVE?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
main part of your "infections" are some heuristically detected threats and potentially unwanted apps... there's probably only one (or a few) related physical file(s) and i can't tell that they are really malicious... i think there's no reason for panic.. ;)

wendy k. walker

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:24 PM »
Hi Maxx_original, Thanks for the quick reply.

That "Trojan-PWS.Tanspy" worries the heck out of me for two reasons 1.) Because neither Avast nor any of my other Anti Virus and Anti Ad\Spyware programs are detecting it and 2.) Because I've been having a bad feeling that someone has remote access to my PC.

What about all of those Registry entries that it shows? Are they EVIL? Would it hurt my system to delete them from the registry? and if it won't hurt anything to get rid of them... how do I get to them?

Thanks for any help.

Wendy

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
What about all of those Registry entries that it shows? Are they EVIL?

Probably not. Whenever I've tried SpywareDoctor in the past, it's done the same thing: show a registry stub as malware.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

wendy k. walker

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:34 AM »
Hi FreewheelinFrank, Thanks for the reply.

OK, I already ran the uninstaller on SpyWare Doctor. Seems like I had given it a go several months ago and it had done about the same thing. Darned thing caused me to spend several hours running AV and Ad\Spyware scans... all of which came up CLEAN!

The only thing that it didn't succeed in was getting me to fall off and BUY THE PAID VERSION.

Thanks again for your time.

Wendy