Author Topic: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8  (Read 38378 times)

slider2nl

Re: Outlook addin hanging with Avast 4.8
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
I am unable to reproduce these problems with Outlook 2003, the Outlook plugin and avast 4.8.1178 (the current beta program).

Aside from kerodo who reported a crash rather than a hang with outlook 2003, the problem appears to be specific to Outook 2007.

When I reported a hang I should probably have clarified - outlook eventually starts responding again - but it hangs for a long time (seems around 5 minutes).

I've now seen this behaviour on three PCs running Outlook 2007 (two on Vista, one on XP), but have not seen it on three PCs running Outlook 2003 (one on Vista, two on XP).

Also, I can now add that when I have "show tray icon when scanning" set in advanced options for the exchange task, the icon appears when I open a new e-mail, or click on an e-mail so it shows in the reading pane, and does not disappear until after outlook starts responding again.

Finally, I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure that it only hangs when displaying a new e-mail, rather than an already read e-mail.  This makes me think it might be related to avast attempting to insert a signature in the scanned e-mail ("insert signatures into clean e-mails" option).

I also got it under outlook 2003.

It crashes of it take 5 minutes before it continues to work normaly i have it with evry mail i click on or when it recieves mail..
I use windows vista ultimate with SP1 and MS Outlook 2003.. and the latest version of avast just updated a day or 2 ago..

Edit: i also have another pc with windows vista home with SP1 and outlook 2003, avast 4.8 update,d and even there it takes to long or crashes.

ianh64

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
BUMP

Any news on this? Still affecting me. I will do a fresh install. The blue dot on the clock of the AVAST email scanner icon has been showing for the last 15 minutes. I forgot to switch off the outlook/email scanner. Seemed OK yesterday, but today, like last week, its goosed my machine. It will come back to life when the scan is complete, but whilst the scan is taking place, I cannot do anything elese on my machine - presumably only one virus scan can occur simultaneously and the outlook scan is locking out all the other scans? t may be of interest to note that both core 1 and core 2 are running negligible CPU - ie under 3%, RAM 27%. Wonder if its in an event flag wait? Looks to be an intermittent issue or possibly one that seems to affect only certain types of email messages - HTML, and scanning the forum, many odd queries of peoples machines running 4.8 running slow seem to be exhibiting the same/similar issues.

Win Vista Ultimate 32bit, 4GB RAM, AMD 6000+.

BJReplay

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »
I'm getting the same problem - I just don't have time at the moment to do a complete dump as requested by Vlk.  It's not so much the time to do the dump, but the time to re-sync raid disks etc after forcing a blue-screen to dump.

Without Outlook running, terminating and then re-starting on-access protection (all providers) does seem to allow Outlook to work some of the time.

ianh64

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »
I found that I only had to disable the Outlook/Exchange provider to keep a stable system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
presumably only one virus scan can occur simultaneously and the outlook scan is locking out all the other scans?
No. Scannings run in parallel, each provider one, simultaneously... no problem.

I found that I only had to disable the Outlook/Exchange provider to keep a stable system.
Hmmm... hope the programmers help troubleshooting here... disabling is not a solution...
The best things in life are free.

ianh64

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
I have done a full uninstall (using the uninstall tool) and a reinstall and the problem is not occurring right now. However, I had noticed that it was fine on one out of three days previously so it is possible that the issue will come back. But for now, I can run full scanning without Outlook stop responding for minutes at a time.

Anyone else suffering this problem, I recommend a full un-install using the appropriate tool and methods and a reinstall.

-Ian

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
Anyone else suffering this problem, I recommend a full un-install using the appropriate tool and methods and a reinstall.
To anybody... the correct way is uninstalling through the Control Panel before using the tool.

ianh64

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
After a problem free month or so, my problems are back again. 4.8.1201

Can I ask if this is the outlook startup problem ("intermittent hangs on Outlook startup etc") fixed in the beta .1216 release? I don't want to take the beta - any ideas when the release version will be available?

I don't know if this helps, but forcing a program update fails and a brief error message flashes up along the bottom of the task bar mentioning something about awmonfit.dll unable to be updated.

-Ian

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 08:30:28 AM »
Can I ask if this is the outlook startup problem ("intermittent hangs on Outlook startup etc") fixed in the beta .1216 release?

A possible problem with avast! scanner (initialization) freezing has been fixed, so I'd say it's possible.

I don't want to take the beta - any ideas when the release version will be available?

Not very soon I think (weeks).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »
ashOutXt.dll was disabled into my Outlook without I could even imagine why...
I'm using the beta. I really want a visual sign that something was disabled into my avast installation without my confirmation... I've stayed all day without email protection without even knowing it  >:( :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:35 AM »
Well, it wasn't disabled in your avast! installation, but rather in Outlook... I mean, I'm not sure whether it can be handled in a satisfactory way - you may not have Outlook running, and the situation would be mostly the same (from avast!'s point of view).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2008, 12:55:52 AM »
you may not have Outlook running, and the situation would be mostly the same (from avast!'s point of view).
Can't avast detect if Outlook is running and the protection disabled?
The same occur with WebShield... sometimes it stop running (waiting a subsystem to start) and the user is not warned :'(

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
I notice some posts here talking about plugins being disabled in Outlook itself, I don't have any problems with the Beta or outlook, but I am curious to know how to check in Outlook to see if the plugin is showing Enabled or Disabled?
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 12:56:44 AM »
I am curious to know how to check in Outlook to see if the plugin is showing Enabled or Disabled?
Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-inns > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items.
Outlook 2002 > Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled items.
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

reikka

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
Well I am glad I came to the forum and found out that I am not alone in having problems with the outlook add in.  Unfortunately I am one of those whose system crashes.
I will see if I can fix it with what I have learned in here

thanks for the info