Author Topic: Installer Archive Corrupted  (Read 9016 times)

AverageJoe72

Installer Archive Corrupted
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:10:50 AM »
About a week ago a had a couple of infected files, one of which was a system restore file.  I moved that to the chest and subsequently deleted it.  I do daily scans alternating between boot and windows with archived files enabled.  Everything has been clean since then.

Today I just completed a boot scan and if gives the following message:
File C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP808\A0087514.exe\Wise0011.bin Error 42146 {Installer archive is corrupted.}

I don't understand what "installer archive is corrupted" means.  It's not indicating any system restore files are infected and refers to a .bin file rather than an .exe file.  I guess I'm lost.

As an aside, I removed a couple of programs yesterday using Revo and also did a manual system restore point as well (first time I have done that).  But I've never had any prior issues with Revo generating this type of message from an Avast boot scan after doing an uninstall.

Any thoughts? 

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Installer Archive Corrupted
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »
This probably has to do with the infected file in restore that was removed. Most people will tell you that when your computer is infected, to turn off system restore until your system is clean. The purpose of this is that you wont accidentally restore your computer back to a time that it was infected. My advice is to make sure your system is clean, then disable system restore, boot, then turn system restore back on. That should fix your problem.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installer Archive Corrupted
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
A .bin file is an archive file as it contains multiple files in one compressed file, there are many types of different archive file types.

Corrupted Archive file, this could simply mean that avast is unable to unpack it to scan the contents of the archive and assuming it is because it is corrupt. Even if it were corrupt there is nothing that a user can do to resolve any corruption, short of replacing the file.

This I wouldn't recommend (especially if this is for archives in the \System Volume Information folder, part of the system restore function) unless you are getting problems relating to that file outside of the avast scan.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security