Author Topic: VRDB iball icon doesn't consistently appear at each startup  (Read 15026 times)

safetynut

VRDB iball icon doesn't consistently appear at each startup
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »

Dell Pentium III, Windows 2000 OS, current avast! program, Spybot S&D, AdAware

Though I have never chosen the “Merge with main avast!icon” on the VRDB iball icon context menu, from time to time upon restarting, the iball icon doesn’t appear in the system tray. I have seen a FAQ that said to Run the ashDisp.exe program. But when I typed the path name into Run and hit OK, nothing happened.

Since this has happened several times upon restarting, the only way I have been able to make it appear is by going into System Information (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools), right-clicking the file path name, choosing Save as Text File, then opening the file and copying the path name. Then I copy that into Run and restart the pc. (Copying it into Run and hitting OK does nothing.)

There have been times that doing this has not brought up the iball icon in the system tray when it restarted. In which case, I have repeated the whole procedure again. Other times, it has worked.

Today when I started the pc, the iball wasn’t there. I looked into the Run area and the path name was not there though I had not removed it—I just let it stay there in the hopes that it will make the iball appear each time. So I went through the above gyration, and the iball did appear when I restarted.

1. I want to be able to see the iball. But going through these time-consuming steps whenever it doesn’t appear is very frustrating and cuts into many other things I need to be doing on the computer and uses up valuable time. Help, please. What can possibly be causing the iball to be inconsistent in appearing?

2. Would the VRDB still update every 3 weeks even if the iball wasn’t visible in the system tray (and not having merged it with the main icon)?

3. And if I needed it, but it’s not showing in the system tray, what could I do? Meaning I didn’t have the time to copy/paste the path name into Run and restart the pc???

Thank you so much for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB iball icon doesn't consistently appear at each startup
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
If you've merged the two icons (a + i), the i will be shown only when VRDB is being generated.
I think the behavior of VRDB does not depend on the icon on system tray. It will be run each 3 weeks.
Clicking "settings" in my signature you'll find a lot of info about avast4.ini file. There you can configure the VRDB icon as well.
The best things in life are free.

safetynut

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
Tech:

As I explained, I have never chosen to have the two icons (a + i) merged.

Okay, I understand from you that whether the iball shows in the system tray or not does not have any effect on the VRDB updating--that it will update every 3 weeks regardless.

I clicked on the settings link you provided. Please remember that I'm not a computer wiz! I could not find a section that gave me any information about the configuring of the VRDB icon. Could you say specifically where it is located? And what the setting would need to be to insure that it would appear each time the computer is started?

Is the avast4.ini file literally a settings file? Does all the information apply to the 4.8 version as well?

Thank you for your help and patience with me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:07:39 AM »
Could you say specifically where it is located? And what the setting would need to be to insure that it would appear each time the computer is started?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10271#msg10271
Maybe
MergeIcons=1
Disabled=0

Is the avast4.ini file literally a settings file? Does all the information apply to the 4.8 version as well?
Yes and yes.
The best things in life are free.

safetynut

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
Tech:
1.   I can’t find the avast4.ini file. When I follow the file path you gave, the Data folder does not have this file in it that I can see. Would this be a “hidden” file?

2.   I think that “Show TaskBar Icon” is what I need to see in the VRDB settings file. But since I have never merged the two icons, how could it ever have been set to 0, which would cause it to be suppressed and not shown in the system tray??

3.   The VRDB i ball has appeared in the system tray at each daily start up since last week. But it was always there for a long time, then suddenly wasn’t, . . . as I described in my earlier post.

4.   Thanks for the links to information. How long will this post/thread be left here? How to get those links in the future for reference if it’s needed—i.e., where would it be if this post/thread is no longer here???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
It is there you just can see it, you aren't displaying known file types in explorer (a real mistake by MS disabling this by default, 'known to whom, MS').

See image, you may only see avast4 but no .ini in the Type Column you will see Configuration File.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safetynut

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:16:16 PM »
DavidR:

Here is what is in my file for “C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data”:
The Data folder has these folders:
    Backup
   Chest
   Integ
   Journal
   Log
   Moved
      aswBoot
      Resident protection
      Simple User interface
   Skin

The only folder with anything in it is the “report” folder. The 3 files in it don’t have anything to do with the avast4.ini settings file, . . .

I have Windows 2000, if that has any bearing on anything.

Neither my Windows Explorer nor the Notepad looks anything like the image you sent me—meaning no “Type” column is shown and, again, I don’t have all the files in your image, specifically the avast4.ini file is not there (even without an .ini extension).

Also, even if I could find the avast4 file in Windows Explorer, how can I open it in Notepad from there? (I know this is probably a dumb question, but I said I’m no computer wiz, just someone trying to slog my way through and figure out my pc problems.)

Thanks.

????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
The avast4.ini isn't a folder but a 'file' within the Data folder, it has to be there as avast wouldn't function without it and I don't think it would be in a different location in win2k. There was no notepad image, that was just a view in explorer without the folders shown.

There might be some differences in how the columns are named or ordered in win2k but the content should be what counts. You may be able to right click on the column with the titles and that should drop down a list of other columns that you can include in the view, I'm working blind as I have never used win2k but these options were in win9x and XP so I'm hoping they would also be in win2k.

Try just doing a search for avast4.ini in windows explorer and see if it can be found.
Once you find its location, just right click on it and select open with, select notepad.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safetynut

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »
DavidR:

I have looked in Windows Explorer and via the Run>Search to find the avast4.ini file.  I looked in Windows Explorer again just now. As I listed in the last post, those are the only files that show up under DATA.

When I started the computer this morning, the VRDB i ball icon did not appear in the system tray; i.e., the problem is still there. I have not touched anything to do with the avast or i ball icons merging, and I sure haven’t been able to get into the avast4.ini file to change anything cause I can’t find it. I know that it has to be there else avast wouldn’t work, but,. . .

I had to do this again to get the i ball to appear in the system tray:

“the only way I have been able to make it appear is by going into System Information (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools), right-clicking the file path name, choosing Save as Text File, then opening the file and copying the path name. Then I copy that into Run and restart the pc. (Copying it into Run and hitting OK does nothing.)”

I am getting desperate to find the answer to this problem. Having to go through the above gyration takes up time that is already stretched too thin.

Also, though I know this is not specific to this thread, whenever I (as mentioned above) type anything into the “Run” box and hit okay or Enter, nothing happens—meaning a file path that’s typed in has no effect, nothing opens, Windows Explorer doesn’t pop up, nothing. If you have any idea why this could be and what could remedy it, I would sure be appreciative. I have so many computer issues that I am flailing around wildly, so please forgive me if I should not ask that in this forum.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
Well the VRDB icon issue is a) relatively minor but b) the apparent missing avast4.ini is much more strange as it is an essential part of avast and if missing I would have thought generate a warning/error.

I don't know if your other problem re Run isn't something that might have an impact on avast or not. Again I have zero win2k experience and really don't know where to start, in XP I may try running a system file check sfc /scannow (however that would mean you would need to open a command window, by typing cmd into the 'Run' window which you are having problems with) you would also need your win2k CD I believe.

There has just been a new program update so back to the original issue of the missing VRDB and avast4.ini, I would say it would be best to try a clean reinstall with the new version 4.8.1282.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.

safetynut

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
DavidR:
Your reply has me in tears.

It is a very long story, but I have a Dell Pentium III that I bought from a company four years ago that was selling their older pcs. The Win2K CD that was in the CD-ROM (I don’t have the ability to write to CDs) seems to be a mystery to the two people who have looked at it, meaning that they are not sure if or how to use it for reinstalling Windows 2000. I sure don’t know how to use it for that.

I have a dial-up connection—anything I do takes a looonnnggg time. (I am giving this background info to explain that in addition to having limited computer expertise, I have a “limited” system.)

I could probably call up a command window (I’m thinking that this is the same as the Run box, but instead it comes up as a black-background popup window, so to speak??, but wouldn’t that just give a list of all the files (I’m just guessing that from the name of the command), which is what is wanted, right? Why would a Windows 2K CD be needed for that?

But what I am most in tears over is that there’s another avast update, and the only way to obtain it is to go through the time-consuming trauma of uninstalling and reinstalling, . . .

I have spent the entire year trying to recover  and protect from malware. I have spent an inordinate amount of time learning what I could about each virus and spyware program to be able to use them. Everyone of them has had some kind of problem that has extended my effort into weeks. In addition, many of the Microsoft and Windows updates are not installing, I have issues with my Office program, I need to uninstall and install AdAware, which I will only be able to do after slogging through their forum and getting the specifics, I have printer issues, . . . These are only the highlights.

I spent weeks dealing with avast and Spybot, etc. And now avast has to be uninstalled and reinstalled!!!!!!!!!

I am in desperate need of a job, and that needs to be my priority. But to handle that, I need the computer to be working relatively problem-free, not only because I need it to aid in the finding of a job, but once I get a job, I will not have much time at all to deal with unending pc issues that entail constant uninstalling and reinstalling and seeking answers. I explain again that I am just a person trying to have a computer that works well and is safe. I don’t have the time or wherewithal for the computer to be the top priority of my life.

Did I mention that I don’t have flashdrives because I can’t afford them, and thus, I don’t have a viable means of doing backups? I haven’t even had a chance to use floppies to back up my document files.

Can you tell me if it is really necessary to have the avast update? And why isn’t it possible to run an update without uninstalling the current version? And how often will updates be arriving?

As you say, the VRDB iball icon not always appearing in the system tray and necessitating a copying of it’s file path’s name into the Run box and a restart is relatively minor (I guess, . .  but what if it were needed on the spot, and it could only be gotten at by a restart if it were one of those “not there” times?).

I have at most one more week to finish all that I must do on the computer. I was already pressured and panicked. Now I find out that I also have to deal with avast again or I won’t have a safe antivirus program????

I despair.

Please know that I realize you are only trying to help—I greatly appreciate it—and that you’re giving me good advice. But the things that have to be done to get a “credible, working pc” are beyond the pale for a non-computer wiz. How are people who don’t have the proficiency or time able to keep up?

Thank you.

P.S. Will this post/thread be here indefinitely? I ask because of the links you’ve supplied that could be needed eventually.

safetynut

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
P.P.S.—Would it help if I:

My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab>Advanced Settings

Then enabled – Show hidden files and folders
And disabled – Hide extentions for known file types

So that I could see the avast4.ini file??

The return the settings as they were??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:03:06 AM »
I would suggest you find a friend with broadband who could download avast and burn it to CD, but at a little over 26MB the avast setup file isn't that horrendous, I'm a dial-up user too.

I had a friend download XP SP3 (356MB) so if you know someone with broadband that can help it would be best to try a clean reinstall to try and resolve the avast issues. If the avast update is working you could use the avast update process to update the program which would be a much smaller download. However that wouldn't resolve the issue with avast4.ini not being found which is why I prefer the clean reinstall option. Program updates aren't that frequent.

The win2k CD is needed for when/if you are able to run the sfc /scannow command, that is a system file checker and it is checking the integrity of system files, if it finds one that is broken it will replace it with one on the original CD. You don't need to be able to write to a CD to do this but you do nee to read from the win2k CD.

With the additional issues on your OS, windows updates not installing, etc. However, I seriously doubt there are any windows updates for win2k and the Office updates might be the same depending on what version you have (I'm still using Office 97 no updates for that), if you have a later version of Office then it is possible that the windows/office update process on your system won't work with the later office update process.

I also fear this may possibly be associated to the other problems and could well be file corruption of being missing. This could possibly be down to the constant fight with infection, etc. The one thing for sure the fight won't get any easier with an old OS that is effectively no longer supported by MS. That is unfortunately a fact and it will take time, but I don't really know what else to suggest.

The avast4.ini isn't a hidden file, but I would recommend that everyone has show hidden files and folders, etc. that you mention as a matter of course.

The topics stay for a very long time, I have been on the forums for a little over four and a half years and none have been removed to my knowledge.

safetynut

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
DavidR:

Thanks so very much for sticking with me.

As far as the uninstalling/installing of programs go, it’s not just the time involved of letting the un/in stuff run, it’s also the head’s up research to make sure I’m aware of what I need to be, and then running into “issues” after the un/in procedures that is so time-consuming and frustrating. If it was simply a straight shot of un/in and everything working ok, then it wouldn’t be so bad.

What do you mean when you say, “I had a friend download XP SP3”? Are you referring to a friend that downloaded it for you on a CD so you wouldn’t have to download via the internet, thus saving time?

So, I can use the avast program update “button” to get the latest program updates without having to uninstall and install? You are just suggesting that in order to clear up the VRDB i ball issue of it not always appearing in the system tray I could uninstall and install the latest version?

The Windows updates I’m referring to that fail are definitely for Windows 2000. Going to the Microsoft update website engenders a scan of your system to see what is needed, and the resulting updates are for your system. I have Office 2003. The Windows update that has failed is one for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (I don’t know what that is, just that I already have a 1.0. etc., version). I have read that it may be necessary to uninstall the NET framework versions you have, then reinstall them and install the 2.0. Yikes, here we go again with the un/in thing!

But the Office 2003 updates that are failing I’m not sure about. Some of them may be tied to the NET thing somehow, and one of them is the Office 2003 SP3. They tell you that if you wanted to remove this service pack—or maybe any of the service packs—you have to remove the entire Office program and reinstall. Scream.

Well, guess what? My Windows 2000 Tools>Folder Options>Advanced settings reads like this:
   Hidden
           NOHIDDEN
           SHOWALL   
      Hide file extensions for known file types

The NOHIDDEN and the Hide file extensions for known file types were checked, so I unchecked them and checked SHOWALL.

Then I went to Search and keyed in “avast4.ini,” and it did cough up the file! (It still couldn’t be found by going into Windows Explorer though!) So I opened it. The contents didn’t look at all like what  Tech showed in his link in the Reply #3 on November 8. Here is the section that seemed to relate to the iball:

ResidentBalloonShown=1
VRDBBalloonShown=1
ShellExtensionIcon=1
ShowSpecialTasks=0
StartWithSkin=1
AutoDelete=-1
[WebScanner]
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
[Simple]
TimeOfLastScan=1226802541
ShowHelpCheckList=0
SkinUseLayeredWindows=0
[AAVM]
EventLogAnalysed=1
StartupRootkitScan=1
CheckFloppies=1
CheckCDRom=1
CheckRemovables=1
ShowTaskbarIcon=1
AnimateIcon=1
CheckFullScreenApps=0
[MailScanner]
PopRedirectPort=110
SmtpRedirectPort=25
ImapRedirectPort=143
NntpRedirectPort=119
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
AutoRedirect=1
[VRDB]
LastFile=
FullComplete=1225748333
Disabled=0
ScreenSaverOnly=0
[Splash]
KeyUsage=1
[Scanner]
RawBootTimeScan=1
SkipSignatureChecks=0
[SelfDefense]
SelfDefenseEnabled=1
[Chest]
MaxSize=256
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
AssumeAlwaysConnected=0
[Quick]
EnableSkins=0
InfectionExitApp=0
ShowResults=0

I can see a Show Task Bar Icon that has a 1, but it is under the AAVM section and not the VRDB section. Please look at this and tell me if you can see a setting for the VRDB iball that would indicate the Task Bar icon is to be shown.

Again, DavidR, thank you for slogging through these things with me. I appreciate your answers and help. I hope you’ll touch on all the things I’ve mentioned in this post as well.

safetynut

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
P.S.--Is there a way to be notified via my email when there's a reply to my post in the avast forum?