Author Topic: Need help badly! Computer is messed up! [Solved]  (Read 32969 times)

Eminem

Need help badly! Computer is messed up! [Solved]
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:11:59 AM »
Well it all started last night when i uninstalled compaq connections. Sometimes when i booted up my computer it would just stop loading but you would see the background image. Later in the night ThreatFire detected Prockill-BU as high risk adware but since hp apparently installs it on all computers they make i just ignored it. I tried to uninstall ThreatFire but it wouldn't let me so i tried a system restore but it still wouldn't. I tried to restore to an even earlier time and my computer wouldn't even boot up. I would get to the log on screen and my keyboard and mouse would die. After a lot of time trying i finally got the system restore to work in safe mode but now all my antivirus and antispyware programs are messed up and i can't uninstall them. I need help please!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:44:57 AM by Eminem »

ardvark

Re: Need help badly! Computer is messed up!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:24:51 AM »
Well it all started last night when i uninstalled compaq connections. Sometimes when i booted up my computer it would just stop loading but you would see the background image. Later in the night ThreatFire detected Prockill-BU as high risk adware but since hp apparently installs it on all computers they make i just ignored it. I tried to uninstall ThreatFire but it wouldn't let me so i tried a system restore but it still wouldn't. I tried to restore to an even earlier time and my computer wouldn't even boot up. I would get to the log on screen and my keyboard and mouse would die. After a lot of time trying i finally got the system restore to work in safe mode but now all my antivirus and antispyware programs are messed up and i can't uninstall them. I need help please!

Hi...

What is hindering their uninstallation, do you get any error messages? Is the rest of the system functioning properly now? What is the model number of your Compaq and OS exactly? :)

May God Bless you! :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:14 AM »
When Threatfire made this detection, how did you answer the prompt? Which leads to my next question; why did you try to uninstall it, and was it active when you did so?
Thing about behaviour blockers is that they will block what is seen as potential malicious behaviour, so such an alert for a valid application should not be seen as a FP as such.
But this detection appears to have been from the blacklist part of the program, since it flagged it as high risk adware. You really need to report this (and your other issue with HP preinstalled stuff) to PCTools. http://www.pctools.com/forum/index.php

To the problem at hand. If you press f8 during boot,, one of the options aside from "safe" mode should be "last known good".Try that.
If you can get Windows (operating system again, please) running normally, then we'll look at how to deak with the malfunctioning security applications, in turn.

It may have been better to de-activate compaq connections, rather than uninstall it. http://www.hp.com/united-states/cpc/presario/connections_faq.html#19
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Eminem

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29:12 AM »
i tried the last good thing before safe mode even and it didn't work. I tried to uninstall it because i just want to go back to zone alarm. Zone alarm was so simple compared to these other firewalls.

Eminem

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:30:04 AM »
avast is even messed up now. It won't load and it says avast(2) in programs.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:28 AM »
Threatfire is not a firewall.
Tried a repair install of the OS?

Eminem

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:59:05 AM »
i know i was just uninstalling threatfire as well. Yes i get error messages like the files aren't there.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:07:58 AM »
Ok. Back to answering the questions, if you don't mind, exactly what was happening when you were trying to uninstall TF?
How did you respond to the TF prompt on compaq connections, (was there even an option, or did it just block it?)

Re your last post , please be specific: What error messages, and regarding what application?
What is the OS?

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 06:12:27 AM »
Tried a repair install of the OS?

Hi...

I am leaning in this direction, too, as far as suggestions go. Here are the instructions from another post I made regarding this, should you desire to go this route:

If you own a legal copy of your OS (a Microsoft Windows XP CD, I don't think a restore CD will work in this case,) you can perform a repair install with the instructions listed here, please read the entire page...

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you only have the restore CD's and have a Compaq Presario desktop PC, then this option here may be helpful...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00007689

Choose the "standard recovery" when asked. Although this option claims to leave your data in place, in both cases, be prepared for the possibility that files and programs may be lost.

If for some reason you don't have any restore CD's, then there may be a restore partition (with a different drive letter) located on your hard drive. You can verify this by clicking on "My Computer" and seeing if there is a second, smaller partition listed as possibly as "D Drive" and having the title include the word "Recovery." If so, then that partition and the recovery options can be accessed by tapping a certain key during POST (before you see the Windows XP splash screen on bootup.) This key may be F10 (as I have seen with older Compaq's) but your system may be different. If this is not the key for your system, please see your computer's documentation for this information or call Compaq at 1-800-652-6672. Please be aware that the recovery options available through this method may be a bit different than what I've listed here.

Hope this helps. :)

May God Bless you! :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:23:20 AM by ardvark »

Eminem

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:16:42 AM »
i uninstalled tf successfully. PC Tools said something like compaq connections was trying to record key strokes so i deleted it. I am now having trouble uninstalling the zona alarm ask toolbar. When i try to uninstall it says C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\unins000.dat does not exist. Cannot uninstall. Besides this my computer seems fine now do i really need to have it repaired?

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »
Besides this my computer seems fine now do i really need to have it repaired?

Hi...

If that's the only problem and it works fine then I guess not. :)

Best Regards...

Eminem

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:26:43 AM »
i still need to get rid of it though...

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 06:36:04 AM »
i still need to get rid of it though...

Hi...

Would CCleaner help? I would run the registry scan as well. :)

Best Regards...

Eminem

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
if you think it will help i will use it.

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:44:51 AM »
if you think it will help i will use it.

Hi...

I can't guarantee that it will but it might be worth a shot. :)

Best Regards...