Author Topic: resident shield does it scan every files , can i avoid this?  (Read 4962 times)

mantra

resident shield does it scan every files , can i avoid this?
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
Hi to all

i'm considering to buy the new version of avast (i know there is a free version )
i knew the product , i used for years , and i know it 's one of the best av

i installed the new version on a laptop (the pro trial version), well again i used for years but NOT these 3 last years

so i missed avast in these 3 last years

i'm talking about the residend shield , the real time scanner

i noticed ,but maybe i'm wrong , avast scan on open  every extension

well i used to work with photoshop cs4 , illustrator cs4 and other adobe program
i did notice that avast scanned jpg (20 megapixel) and every extension like tiff about 190mb and so on

and i found a slow down caused by scanning evey kind of extension , i'm talking about a massive use of these adobe software

well may i ask 2 questions

1) does avast resident shield scan every kind of extensions?

2) can i avoid ? is there a tweak to let avast scan only the dangerous files

scan every files , to me , seems a overkill

i would like to say and compliment the the crew and the developers , because you improved avast very much

last version i used was 4.5 i guess

thanks in advance

have a nice day

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:33:10 AM by mantra »

mantra

Re: resident shield does it scan every files , can i avoid this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
ops i tried to edit my topic
i did a mistake , and i can't delete this one
sorry
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:31:10 AM by mantra »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
For some reason, scanning large JPG files takes long. Had similar problems scanning 10mpix photos from Olympus E-400.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

mantra

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
For some reason, scanning large JPG files takes long. Had similar problems scanning 10mpix photos from Olympus E-400.
i work on 22 mpix raw and tiff or psd they are huge

i hope the develop team could help me

for me it's stupid scanning jpg , they can 't be dangerous

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
Actually thats not exactly true. Well partially. JPG files can carry an exploit, however it was already patched.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Agreed with Rejzor

mantra

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »
Actually thats not exactly true. Well partially. JPG files can carry an exploit, however it was already patched.
might you make an example please how a jpg could be a  threat ?

i mean i open with photoshop cs4 or acdsee or lightzone , what could happen
i'm curious because it's the first time i hear it

thanks

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman

mantra

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
Because that was when it was first discovered and it most certainly effects more than just office.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mantra

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »

some years the delelop of avast were present in this forum

what did happen?
is hard to have some info/answer by them?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
The developers of avast are still active participants in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:34 PM »
Some pictures can be exploit i agree with that all thing can be a virus or a thing that u didnt know that why we all need a anti virus in the follow years because a lot ppl want to steal your personal detail in any way so they will do anything to get your password,adress,bank money etc etc. They will say to download this or that thing then if you execute it or look the picture then he will know a lot thing of you that why a anti virus,firewall,anti spyware is exist in 2009 ! :)

That why we are all no secure in internet even if you got the best firewall or anti virus ! There a lot thing i can do like Hide the virus on the files so i will send like to the guy and the other guy will send to another guy its wont finish so on this time who is getting the money ? The Hacker who created this virus ! So the Hacker gain a lot money of his victim that why we are not secure and let yourself to decide if you trust it or no.

Its happaned to me my firewall have detect the file i downloaded that wanted to acess my files or cpu so i sayed to my firewall to block it because i didnt trusted that file and i never had any problem or stealing information that what a firewall do its protect you in anywhere you surf its like a anti hacker and in the same time its protect your information and files all thing that is personal for you he will protect it :) If i was not having a firewall its was maybe a virus or something else so that why i allow what i trust :) So i hope i teached you something with my speach :)

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:12:45 PM by Mr.Agent »

mantra

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
Some pictures can be exploit i agree with that all thing can be a virus or a thing that u didnt know that why we all need a anti virus in the follow years because a lot ppl want to steal your personal detail in any way so they will do anything to get your password,adress,bank money etc etc. They will say to download this or that thing then if you execute it or look the picture then he will know a lot thing of you that why a anti virus,firewall,anti spyware is exist in 2009 ! :)

That why we are all no secure in internet even if you got the best firewall or anti virus ! There a lot thing i can do like Hide the virus on the files so i will send like to the guy and the other guy will send to another guy its wont finish so on this time who is getting the money ? The Hacker who created this virus ! So the Hacker gain a lot money of his victim that why we are not secure and let yourself to decide if you trust it or no.

Its happaned to me my firewall have detect the file i downloaded that wanted to acess my files or cpu so i sayed to my firewall to block it because i didnt trusted that file and i never had any problem or stealing information that what a firewall do its protect you in anywhere you surf its like a anti hacker and in the same time its protect your information and files all thing that is personal for you he will protect it :) If i was not having a firewall its was maybe a virus or something else so that why i allow what i trust :) So i hope i teached you something with my speach :)

Mr.Agent
thanks
if i may ask
which firewall do you use?
outpost comodo or online armor?

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
Well my self i didnt like another firewall because i see some ppl that some firewall is slowing their pc or internet so well i use the default of the vista one its still not the best but better than got 0 firewall its still a good one that didnt slow my pc or internet :D i didnt like to have 100000 things for protect my pc i think the best is to have only a anti spyware,anti virus,firewall that what i mean