Author Topic: Can't Get Avast To Install On My Win 98 SE Computer, Pentium 3  (Read 18214 times)

Lidarose

Re: Can't Get Avast To Install On My Win 98 SE Computer, Pentium 3
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
Also, Mr.Agent wanted to know what viruses AVG had in its virus vault quarantined. There were 3, and they are as follows:

(1)  Virus Identified Java Byte Verify, Filename:  Archive-Jar8205560-568f2da8.zip 28.95 KB

(2) Adware Generic GX, Filename:  ampx.exe  587 KB

(3)  Win32/PEPatch, Filename:  NPROTECT.LOG  631.38 KB

Thanx,
Lida   :)

Lidarose

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 04:05:14 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, AnimeLover, Win 98 SE, didn't have administrative rights.  If it does, how would I find out if I'm the administrator?  I know how to do this on my Win XP Pro computer, but not on Win 98 SE!

Lida

Lidarose

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »
Does anyone know where the AVG "Back-up" folder resides?  A friend told me that if I delete this folder, I might be able to get AVG to uninstall, as it's mentioned in the error message I get when I try to uninstall the program, but I can't locate it in Windows Explorer under ProgramFiles/AVG on my C Drive.

None of the uninstall tools friends have sent me to try and uninstall AVG have worked, as most of them are for computers with OS's higher than WIN 98 SE.  I'm stumped, and it looks like I'll never be able to install AVAST on this computer.    :'(

Thanx,
Lida

ardvark

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:05:24 AM »
Hi Lida...

I normally don't post here anymore but still look around to see if what's new in the world of computers. I happened to see your thread and wanted to help.

Here is something you can try. Download the "AVG Remover" Tool (32 bit) located here to your Desktop...

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Turn off your computer and turn it back on in safe mode using the instructions here...

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#01

When your computer completes starting up, click on the removal tool to begin the removal process. If the tool won't work in Windows 98, try uninstalling from the "Add/Remove Programs" in the "Control Panel." Let us know how it works. :)

May God Bless you! :)

Lidarose

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
Thanx, Ardvark...
       I'm getting over surgery and haven't had a chance to try the uninstall in safe mode yet, but asa I'm feeling better, I'll give it a shot and get back to you.  Sorry it took so long to reply, but I'm post-op, and I've been on pain meds.
                                                                        Atb,
                                                                        Lida    :)

Lidarose

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 06:41:45 AM »
Well, I tried uninstalling AVG Free V. 7.5, Build 550, in Win 98 SE's Safe Mode and got the same error message as previously, reprinted below:

"Local machine:  installation failed
               Installation:
                  Error:  Action failed for file setup.exe: creating backup....
                      Access is denied (5) %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program
               Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe.install_backup", %SOURCE% =
               "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe"

I'm wondering if the "Go-Back" program I have installed on this computer could be interfering in any way?  It hasn't ever interfered in the past with uninstalling other programs, but there's a first time for everything!

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to remove this dog of a program from my older computer so I can FINALLY install AVAST's free anti-virus program?

<Groan>  >:(
Lida

Lidarose

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
Well, it's not "Go-Back" that's interfering with the uninstall of AVG.  I disabled it and tried once again to remove AVG 7.5 in safe mode to no avail.  Can't any one help?

Sadly,
Lida   :'(

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »

While I do not suggest this if you are not comfortable with editing the registry, that was the only way I could get AVG off my old computer many years ago. It was also a W98SE computer. I had to edit the registry for all entries of AVG removing them as I found them. This can be very time consuming.

Again, if you are not comfortable editing the registry, do not do the above suggestion.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »
Or maybe you should reinstall Avg again then completely remove it!

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_su.../avgremover.exe
Use this removal tool, install Avast and immediately run a scan.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »
The avg remover as far as I'm aware only works with avg8 and above, so won't work with avg7.5 version used by Lidarose.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
Can't any one help?

Hi Lida...

I'm sorry that you're facing this, I know it can get pretty frustrating. Just hang in there. :)

I agree with CharleyO on this one. If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, I would recommend taking your system to a computer repair shop and having a technician perform this. However, if this is not affordable or if the shops you speak with will not work with on this system, here is an online tutorial that will help describe the process. Be extremely careful, proceed at your own risk! I would advise backing up any files that you may want and to obtain a legal (for your computer, OEM is not legal in certain circumstances) copy of Windows 98 or a restore CD (from your computer's manufacturer) if you don't already have one. You might not be able to clear out all the entries but it might be enough to where you can run the uninstall utility which should.

@Corday: Hi, Your link is not working at this point in time, "the webpage cannot be found" (HTTP 404) error comes up.

May God bless you :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:11:04 PM by ardvark »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 05:48:30 AM »
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antispyware/
There is still the link to redownload it~_^!

Lidarose

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
Just had the worst news possible...AVAST is discontinuing support for Win 98 and Win 98 SE at the end of 2009.  I'm dead in the water.   >:( :o :'(

Sadly,
Lida

ardvark

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
Just had the worst news possible...AVAST is discontinuing support for Win 98 and Win 98 SE at the end of 2009.  I'm dead in the water.   >:( :o :'(

Hi Lida...

Although I cannot vouch for it's detection or removal capabilities (or really anything else about it ;)) as I have no experience with it, A Chinese AV, Rising Antivirus Free Edition claims to support Windows 98, and comes with a thumbs up from West Coast Labs and VB. :)

God bless :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:47:03 AM by ardvark »