Author Topic: conflict problem using Avast  (Read 16267 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: conflict problem using Avast
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »
Omid
Yes I did follow the instructions as shown on your link,it was on automatic and was running, I even tried the restart to no avail,
As well as the problems I reported in my origional post, when I tried to start the wireless network in control panel the torch light came on and control panel could not be found. when I tried connect to the computer froze and I had to close down using the on/off button. This happened many times before I deleted Avast

I'm so sorry you have this problem, I guess there are some parts of an old antivirus remaining in your computer which do conflict with avast! antivirus, try to run the removal tools to make sure there are not anything remaining from your last antivirus:

1. Uninstall avast!
2. run these tools to make sure there are nothing remaining from another antivirus in your computer. don't forget to reboot after running each one.
   -Symantec Norton: download and run Norton Removal Tool
   -McAfee: Download and run McAfee Removal Tool
   -AVG: Download and run AVG Remover 32Bit or AVG Remover 64Bit.
3. Clean up your temporary files using a program such as CCleaner.
4. Install avast! antivirus again.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:04:50 AM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

aboutface

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »
Hi Omid and bobo1
Had a busy day but managed to turn off teatimer in spybot this evening from inside spybot after following instructions from a friend. Then I reloaded Avast but have the same problem. I have removed Avast again and the computer is fine. It seems the problem must be caused by the remnants of previous anti virus programmes. I will download the removal tools you recomended and run them tomorrow.
I will let you know the outcome tomorrow evening
Thank you both for your time and efforts.
aboutface

aboutface

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Hi silvertones
I went into device manager and expanded plug and play but could not find any reference to previous AV programmes, but then I do not know what to look for. I think I will try the un-install tools first before it gets to technical for my level of competence.
regards
aboutface

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 01:43:18 AM »
Hi silvertones
I went into device manager and expanded plug and play but could not find any reference to previous AV programmes, but then I do not know what to look for. I think I will try the un-install tools first before it gets to technical for my level of competence.
regards
aboutface

I say, Don't touch that area!

aboutface

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
Omid
I run the three un-install tools and used CCleaner to clean my temporary files, initially after reloading Avast everything seemed to be OK, but after 3 reboots over the day the problem has returned.
regards
aboutface

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »
Hi aboutface,

Have you tried delaying avast's services? Please try:

Right click avast's tray icon > Program Settings > Troubleshooting > put a check beside Delay loading of avast! services after other system services > OK > Reboot

Please tell us if it works. Ciao.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

bobo1

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »
Have you tried a boot time scan when avast was working ok?

aboutface

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
Hi Ciao
Your tip to delay loading of Avast services seems to have worked. I have rebooted a number of times over the last 24 hours with no problem. I will leave it a few days and let you know if the problem is finaly sorted,

Omid and bobo1, Thanks for your help, there were remnants of previous anti virus programmes on my computer that are now deleted,

I will post again in a few days

aboutface 

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
Hi Ciao
Your tip to delay loading of Avast services seems to have worked. I have rebooted a number of times over the last 24 hours with no problem. I will leave it a few days and let you know if the problem is finaly sorted,

Omid and bobo1, Thanks for your help, there were remnants of previous anti virus programmes on my computer that are now deleted,

I will post again in a few days

aboutface 

Good to hear. Please feel free to ask again anytime.

PS Ciao is not my name, just a salutation :)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

aboutface

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
L' arc
We learn something every day
Cheers
aboutface ;D

cinchez

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
*bump*

Ciao is an Italian world used as a goodbye greeting.^^

Lol Larc must have seen Kateikyoushi Hitman reborn to use that word.

BTW nice luck solving ur problem^^
Feel free to come back if u have more

-AnimeLover^^

bobo1

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
Glad to help.
BOBO1

aboutface

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »
hello all
It seems I spoke too soon. I have rebooted 8 times over the last few days and sometimes Things go ok and other times it takjes about 5 minutes to get onto my wireless network without me doing anthing and the same problem with the red circle in the avast a ball is back. Has anyone got any further sugestions or would it be better to try another anti virus like AVG :'(

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
hello all
It seems I spoke too soon. I have rebooted 8 times over the last few days and sometimes Things go ok and other times it takjes about 5 minutes to get onto my wireless network without me doing anthing and the same problem with the red circle in the avast a ball is back. Has anyone got any further sugestions or would it be better to try another anti virus like AVG :'(

there are something wrong with your windows or some of your hardware drivers etc.

it's not easy to guess that from here without working with your computer, the best and safe solution is to try recover your windows if you have recovery disc, because with the current problems you have, even if you fix the current problem with your antivirus, there might be some problems in other part of windows.

as what I've seen, "Start-up" performance have some impact on how windows services run, for example some people says their programs icon randomly disappear from taskbar during startup, it only happen when we have a slow windows startup.

but, anyway, now, in the current installed windows try to download and reinstall all the hardware drivers from the manufacturer company.

some other solution which you might try:
-cleanup your registry, Auslogics Registry Cleaner is a good program to do that. Download it from here.
-defragment your computer's hard drive. Auslogics Disk Defrag is good and fast program to do that. download it from Here.
-remove unnecessary programs from windows startup, usually all programs have this option inside their options/settings/preferences.

aboutface

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »
Hi Omid
I cleaned up the registry and defraged the hard drive as you suggested, but still the same.
I do not have a recovery disc as the programmes were preloaded, but I have " the techguys" recovery on my computer. could you please advise how to recover windows and will I lose other programmes I have downloaded.
regards
aboutface