Author Topic: Is this true?  (Read 10819 times)

theinvulnerable

Is this true?
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Is this true? I saw an advertisement in http://download.cnet.com/ that tells avast can't stop web threats and get avg free 9.0 best against web threats. Are you agree with this?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Is this true?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »
I can't see the ad you are referring to using the link you provided, I just go to a generic downloads page, but no, I don't think that's true at all. Avast's webshield has almost certainly saved my computer a few times.

If I thought AVG provided better protection than Avast, I'd be using it.

Since you are asking this on the Avast forum, the answers you get are likely to be from users that have found Avast better  (in some way) than the others, so I don't quite know what sort of answer you expect.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Omega40

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39:46 PM »
Is this true? I saw an advertisement in http://download.cnet.com/ that tells avast can't stop web threats and get avg free 9.0 best against web threats. Are you agree with this?
No....it sounds like maybe their getting paid by AVG to recommend them.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
Here is the ad showed at the cnet-site

http://static.2mdn.net/2550425/intercept_300x250_r1.swf
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »
Cripes, Bluesman, that looks almost libelous.
I think my ad blocker stopped me seeing it earlier.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
Cripes, Bluesman, that looks almost libelous.
I think my ad blocker stopped me seeing it earlier.

I see hpHosts stops a lot of ad junk from download.com   8)

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
*Sigh*

I don't know why a lot of websites/bloggers believe that there is a rivalry between AVG and Avast. I just don't understand this message, kinda sounds like they were paid though.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:06:52 AM »
I see hpHosts stops a lot of ad junk from download.com
It could have been the hosts file blocked it.
Interestingly, when I opened up AdblockPlus to view blocked items on the page, there were about 50 items.
A good reason not to bother visiting Cnet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »

Absolute bull droppings, I can't see how they can get away with this falsehood. The web shield and network shield combined probably provides better web protection than any other AV.

We see lots of alerts by the web shield in the viruses and worms forum and they are asking why avast alerts when their mates computer doesn't, some of those could well using avg ;D

We check out those detections to confirm that they are good, often this includes uploading the file to virustotal with 41 different scanners and only a handful of scanners are able to detect these on-line malware samples (usually hacked sites) and AVG is not very often among them.

So we see practical examples and not marketing hype.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MidnightCowboy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure that AVG must be plugging their link scanner component here, and not just the general ability of their AV to block web threats.   In that context (supposedly) it could have an advantage by scanning the links on pages before you open them but I've trialled this myself and found the benefits to be marginal at best.  I also believe that from a marketing point of view they are trying desperately to steal some more market share before Avast! 5 hits and puts everyone in the shade!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
AVG is desperate. :)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »
AVG is desperate. :)
We're desperate for a v5 that works :)
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
*Sigh*

I don't know why a lot of websites/bloggers believe that there is a rivalry between AVG and Avast. I just don't understand this message, kinda sounds like they were paid though.

AVG and Avast were the first two very popular free AV with a resident scanner; like many others, I heard of them almost at the same time in a single Google search a few years ago. So people keep this history in mind and keep comparing the two.

cinchez

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
To answer the question, clearly it isnt true^^

Ask avast! ;D

-AnimeLover^^

theinvulnerable

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
Can avast sue them? That advertisement can be a huge disadvantage for pc users seeking for an excellent anti-virus and anti-malware for their system, especially to those new pc users that does not yet knows that the avast is the best! :D