Author Topic: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....  (Read 45990 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Future for Firefox browser looks grim....
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

The future for the Firefox browser looks grim, sitting between IE that is here to stay and the irresistible stamina of GoogleChrome the favorite browser of a while ago will go down in history not to be remembered anymore.
There is some writing on the wall to come to these conclusions: the slowed release of Fx 3.6,
the discontinuing of Fx 3.7 and a complete restructuring of the whole development process a la a complete overhaul to bring in all the developments of a myriad of extensions on a weak architectural model where the updates will come in the form of many patches and minor updates, a job that was even too much to perform without hiccups for the MS software giant with all their resources in IE.
This will mean a certain formula for disaster....conflicting hotfixes and surfacepacks without certainty how and what it will work out on the underlying platform leaves the Fx developers with empty hands - the browser is no longer part of a strategic plan, but fully depends on the good will and the enthusiasm of many in the Fx community.

We have seen it coming, dear forum users, the Mozilla browser seemed doomed from the day GoogleChrome revealed their plans to come up with their new browser - their Google partner, Firefox, at once was left out in the cold, standing alone..
While GoogleChrome is steaming ahead urging Internet Explorer out of its update cycle to come to terms with a more active renewal policy for BlueE, Firefox will be more and more play to the role of the smaller in-between underdog.

If GoogleChrome had adopted the NoScript extension and brought it into their browser as by default, polonus would not have looked back to old Fx once. The protection of NoScript in the Mozilla browser is the only reason I haven't left the once very popular browser and jumped ship alltogether as a beta-tester and bug-filer. From Flock we haven't heard for quite some time now, not clear if they will not ever continue a GoogleChrome 2.0 Web browser variant, FlockChrome. Time will tell, folks, but you do not have to agree with me of course, time will tell...

polonus
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:43:59 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

And here an answer from someone that does not hold the above view:
http://gigaom.com/2010/01/20/why-firefox-is-hardly-doomed/?utm_source=gigaom&utm_medium=navigation

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
I'm totally agree with you.

Google Chrome is same what a browser should be, but yet need time to grow, one of the my friend who has friend in Google Team told me soon Google Chrome API would support scripts then scripts like NoScript would come, even that Google Chrome would have native XSS protection and such as...

also, right now Google Chrome is missing some minor stuff like support download in the API, so download managers would not be able integrate very well.

but, Google Chrome is unique! in the performance, in Firefox and IE we had to wait a very long for program itself to load and then moving between tabs another pain... but in Chrome (like other Google Products) every things is fast, also Google is bringing new things which is really useful for users and not just useful for marketing/adverts. (e.g. pinned tabs, dragging tabs to do them side by side or...)

also, Google Chrome ext. are really great, never crash browser or slow it down, well programed addon engine is unique!

Task manager is unique too! easily able to terminate plugins or tabs or ext., I've never seen like this before!
also, with Google Chrome I've more space to visit sites, fewer toolbars like old menu bar and classic status bar.

so, like you I see no reason to back to Firefox... why slow down my life and deal with all the problems it has, I let Google speed up my life!

Firefox 4?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:44:54 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
I don't find Firefox to be slow and problematic. Have been using it since version 1.5 and i still like it.
Sure Chrome starts up faster but the version i want (the 4.x) is still buggy and so are extensions for it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »
hey I missed that thread...I unfortunately have to agree, Chrome's development is moving so fast and the experience with it is absolutely amazing. It's a rocket, it just flies...many extensions are there already, yeah NoScript is missing and there seem to be problems for implementation (see in NS forums)...Firefox that I still use 90% of the time is gonna lose this battle, that's obvious. Give it a few months or one year and it's done. Also Chromium being OpenSource (like FF), more and more people bring their own custom version, this browser is just made to browse, ie get instantly to the page you want as if you were navigating in Windows Explorer...yeah, the speed factor again, Firefox will have troubles to match that. It's slowly giving the sensation that it (FF) became an old and gigantic dinosaur with two feet stuck in a pool of mud, and I don't like that. The beast is dying  ;)

ps: yeah, confirming that no matter the number of extensions you add to Chrome, it always start as fast  ;D ...when Firefox, yeah, no need to comment about it...Mozilla said they would change the extension system (probably for FF4) to make compatibility between versions not such a pain like it is now...don't know if they thought about the startup speed as well...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:32:31 AM by Logos »

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
I don't want to ignore something just because I'm a Google fan!

Mozilla Firefox is a browser with an out-dated and poor core, so whatever Mozilla do to fix it is just waste of time and Bye Bye Firefox! but Firefox been there a  long time so many minor stuff is developed in it.

Google Chrome is exactly different, Google is starting with a great core (Language/Engine) but yet is new and need time to fix the problems and fill the gaps and add future handy stuff. so I don't see a good future for Firefox projects, I can see the day Chrome become main browser in the world (if Microsoft don't bring some special/secret project).

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:35 AM »
still noticing a few things (negative points)
- scrolling web pages, including this forum, is much smoother in Firefox than in Chrome, even with "smooth scrolling" disabled in FF.
- Chrome doesn't own a proper password manager (no master password, no UI encryption, database file containing passwords is encrypted using Windows EFS certificate)
- If you tell Chrome to never remember a password for a site, the setting is gone after wiping cookies, when Firefox still has an edge concerning native options, that's gonna be hard to match...but average users won't care I'm afraid.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:18 AM »
As long as there are old hardware and Linux. I think Firefox won't be extinct.

Firefox is going to the grave of Netscape  :o

The real reason why Firefox is slowing down in its development is because there aren't any good ideas, the developers are short of innovation.

They can't think like the developers of Opera who invented quite a few features that all browsers are using now.

They need to get more creative developers....

Nowadays, Google Chrome updates are fewer compared with few months ago.

Google Chrome success is going to be short lived because the future development of Google OS may make it more resource hungry and heavier.

Just like ad aware went from a solid product to a behemoth...

Maybe I am wrong. Correct me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:49:12 AM by Chris Thomas »

Jtaylor83

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »
YouTube videos in Firefox started to get choppy. YouTube getting ready to roll out their HTML5 player which Flash Player is not needed and you will have to use Google Chrome, Safari, or IE8 with Chrome Frame and an MP4 decoder.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:16:33 AM by Jtaylor83 »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »
@ Jtaylor

Firefox 3.5 already supports Html 5

I think so

Edited:

Just now checked http://www.youtube.com/html5

I was surprised that Firefox is not supported even though Html 5 is supported by Firefox 3.5

Few months ago I visited Youtube and Firefox 3.5 was shown to be supported in Html 5 by Youtube along side Chrome and Safari and IE 8 without Chrome Frame

Now it has changed

Don't know why  :o :o :o :o :o :o

I am using Minefield
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:20:49 AM by Chris Thomas »

watchthisspace

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:01 AM »
I don't think Firefox is going away anytime soon, the vast amount of extentions and themes will keep Firefox around, take a look at opera, they're still here.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
As long as there are old hardware and Linux. I think Firefox won't be extinct
Chrome is much less resource demanding than Firefox and runs in Linux  ::)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
As long as there are old hardware and Linux. I think Firefox won't be extinct
Chrome is much less resource demanding than Firefox and runs in Linux  ::)

Yep!

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
@ Logos and Omd

I don't think so.

I have another very very old PC here that I didn't throw away.

I tested Minefield in it. It performed much better than Chrome.

It has only 128MB RAM and Pentium 4 and Win XP SP 2.

Firefox used 38,000 kb whereas Google Chrome went upto 75,000  :P

Maybe it has to do with its ability to use the GPU. Don't know.

My room is filled with PCs ranging from Pentium 2 ,3,4,D, AMD, etc

I am really unable to throw these junk away because I don't fell like doing it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:11:45 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Firefox used 38,000 kb whereas Google Chrome went upto 75,000  :P

please works with both of them for a hour and then compare, I've seen my Firefox used Memory up to 500MB during a day, and I need to closed Firefox every hour or so to free up memory and open Firefox again. look likes a memory leak