Author Topic: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....  (Read 45879 times)

carbonize

Re: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:57 PM »
I think part of that comes from Firefox using the Gecko engine for rendering the gui and the web pages where as I believe Chrome just uses Windows api for the gui. Gecko still has archaic code in it from the early days of the Mozilla browser.

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
I think that's a joke, the question was posted by a Google employee... ;D
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=33f6117527aba946&hl=en

Hermite15

carbonize

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
Might bookmark that and keep checking to see if you actually get a response.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Hi posters in this thread,

GoogleChrome did not benefit that much of the recent IE-flaw (now patched).
No, I think you all misinterpreted me a bit. I echoed what I found on this issue from  articles like one in a Dutch security forum and added some personal views to the outline there. The main reason to post it at the avast webforums is that I was anxious about how this community here would react and what their relation to old Frankenfox is.
Yes, my dear friends, there are a lot of things and features that bind me to Firefox and Flock. I am not really that unhappy. Firefox and Flock are browsers where one could keep a finger to the pulse, evaluate the code, fire up bugs and report leaks etc. Chrome is a fast browser but also has a lot of disadvantages, the upgrading and patches are stealth, well I see them coming down with Immunet Protect cloud av, but what goes on under the hood is not a community thing as with Fx. I have GoogleChrome with Silentio (the ever returning Google privacy concerns won't go away somehow)Firebug , ABP+,  Click&Clean, WOT, BubbleTranslate, inbuilt Gears (compare with Prism), but I miss NoScript of all things, RequestPolicy, Ghostery (there is no webbug tracker in Chrome), etc. etc.
As I have seen Fx 3.7 will load differently and I expect the sandboxing will eventually also come to the open source browser. GoogleChrome and SRWare's Iron are both built on open software, but it is quite another concept than Fx.
I think that Giorgio Maone has finally understood perfectly that browser = OS and malcoded script is the royal road to a compromised OS.
Also the patch cyclus, I haven't found the" burning edge" for GoogleChrome or IE8 and probably will never find it.
And as some here hints out at is, that we will never hear probably about the weak sides of GoogleChrome from the developing team, whereas with Fx test-pilots, they will  fuzz that browser from all sides to make improvements. Now you probably understand my position a bit better, but to know more about issues one has to "lure" a little. I hope you all understand my motives and the way I work to get the facts lined out for me personally and all other users that want to learn about in-browser security,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »
Hi Polonus,

I think that Giorgio Maone has finally understood perfectly that browser = OS and malcoded script is the royal road to a compromised OS

OK I read on their forums a little while ago that porting NS to Chrome was a no go... is that still the case, are solutions foreseen at all by Maone or not ? I posted also today about Avast script shield, that guess what doesn't work with Chrome either...I ditched IE today (never used it anyway), and that was the only browser on my system that worked avast script blocker worked with...I guess it doesn't work with Opera either. With Firefox as you all know it doesn't work , but FF has NS so  ;D

Also, sandboxing is nice but this can be achieved with third party software (sandboxie, or even somehow with AIS and CIS4 now... somehow). What I'm expecting from Firefox honestly is a much faster start and page loading like in...Chrome  :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:36:15 PM by Logos »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »
Firefox 3.6 is now out and it looks and works really great. The future doesn't look grim at all if you ask me.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
Firefox 3.6 is now out and it looks and works really great. The future doesn't look grim at all if you ask me.

yeah it works fine, you find it faster than 3.57 ?

edit: I'm saying it again to avoid any misunderstanding here, I'm fond of Chrome, but for security reasons I stick to Firefox  ;D I have more trust in FF native security features and NS extension than in Chrome sandboxing abilities.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:39:30 PM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
Hi Logos,

Then you probably also have read  GµårÐïåñ's reaction to my posting there at the NoScript forums security section, I quote here for you all:
I was intent to say nothing on the subject but given the direction Fx has taken and the way it is being developed and the way its going, it has become less reliable and it has lost the promise of being the better browser. The only thing keeping Fx viable right now in my opinion is the presence of excellent addons like NoScript and alike. So there is a very real potential for its failure and that's something that sooner or later everyone needs to acknowledge or they are just burying their heads in the sand. The writing is on the wall, or more the performance of Fx, it has been declining for a while now, there is no saying otherwise to that.
I particularly value what he has to say on the subject, because he quite knows what he is talking about and for me GµårÐïåñ' speaks with a lot of authority and I know why I say this),

polonus

Hermite15

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »
I know Firefox is declining, it's been like this for many months now, or should I say is stagnating completely.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
Hi Logos,

The avast shield works for GoogleChrome, yes sir,

polonus

Hermite15

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »
Hi Logos,

The avast shield works for GoogleChrome, yes sir,

polonus

hmm, Polonus... I mentioned the script blocker  ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 06:19:46 AM »
Since we are discussing about Firefox and its future

I just wanted to know which all addons you guys use in Firefox

I went through 504 popular add ons and found some addons useful and many annoying and useless.

pinnacle

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:08 AM »
heck, i use no add-ons no themes none. i agree they have too many that are totally useless.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »
heck, i use no add-ons no themes none. i agree they have too many that are totally useless.

+1

I use the following addons

AdBlock Plus
NoScrip
Ghostery
TooManyTabs
PlacesCleaner
Facebook Chatbar+
Facemoods
Java Quick Starter
TwitterBar

Should I avoid any of the above or add any? What are your addons?

I use no themes and this new thing called Personnas is really a non sense

There are many Plugins in my Firefox. I don't know if they are useful at all.

Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U18
Silverlight Plug-In
Shockwave for Director
Shockwave Flash
Windows Presentation Foundation
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
Microsoft® DRM
Microsoft® DRM

What is the use of Windows Presentation Foundation and Microsoft DRM? Do I need them?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:04:49 AM by Chris Thomas »