Author Topic: Avast 5 SMTP Error  (Read 16541 times)

bigaldoc

Avast 5 SMTP Error
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
I've searched these forums and can't find one like this.  I just installed 5.0 yesterday without a hitch.  Browsing OK and receiving emails just fine.  BUT, when I attempt to SEND an SMTP email from Thunderbird (2.0.0.23) I get an error message that the email can't be sent.

If I turn off outgoing mail checking in Avast, I can send OK.  I tried changing my TB SMTP setting to secure and the email sends but then Avast gives me a message that I shouldn't do that.  Security is built-in to Avast.

I've looked at the Avast settings and can't see what might need to be changed to let it send via my TB SMTP.  Can someone advise, please?  Thank you.

Big Al

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast 5 SMTP Error
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
It seems that this SMTP server requires authentication only over secure connection. Hence you should enable authentication in Thunderbird's SMTP server settings.

bigaldoc

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »
That sounds good, EXCEPT, how to I tell Avast 5 to stop giving me these:

. . . ?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
This warning should be displayed only once for each server/protocol.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
That sounds good, EXCEPT, how to I tell Avast 5 to stop giving me these:

. . . ?

sounds good? that just means that you can keep sending emails but avast won't scan them unless you change your settings in Thunderbird. Just set your port to either 25 or 587, no ssl and you're done. As to your authentication issue, it just means that your mail server requires authentication, but not necessarily a secure authentication, nothing to do with the ssl connection required to send and receive ;D So, in Thunderbird, authentication just means that you've filled up the username box, don't add @xxx.com, it's not needed, but put everything else exactly how it appears in your email address, again, without the @ and the domain. If your server required a secure authentication, there's a check box for this below the username that you entered, but I doubt you need it.

ps: otherwise, if you don't mind avast not scanning, you can deactivate the warning about ssl somewhere in the email scanner settings.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:13:41 PM by Logos »

bigaldoc

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
I have my port at 25 and have been using Avast for years and never had this problem.  My ISP does NOT require authentication and neither secure connection nor authentication is or ever has been turn on!

Maybe I'm not saying all this clearly, but when I installed Avast 5 yesterday I ceased being able to send emails.  What's wrong in Avast 5? Is there a NEW setting that needs to be used or is Avast 5 not ready for prime time?

CiaraJansonFan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
I'm getting the same problem after installing avast 5, but with TB3. It's telling me that authentication is required when sending mail on port 465 - but I'm not trying to do that!

Basically I send mail via MSGTAG (server name 127.0.0.1, port 7362), which tags the mail and then sends onto my ISP's SMTP server on standard port 25. This has always worked with avast 4.8 without any problems.

Please can someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks
Steven

bigaldoc

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
sounds good? that just means that you can keep sending emails but avast won't scan them unless you change your settings in Thunderbird. Just set your port to either 25 or 587, no ssl and you're done. As to your authentication issue, it just means that your mail server requires authentication, but not necessarily a secure authentication, nothing to do with the ssl connection required to send and receive ;D So, in Thunderbird, authentication just means that you've filled up the username box, don't add @xxx.com, it's not needed, but put everything else exactly how it appears in your email address, again, without the @ and the domain. If your server required a secure authentication, there's a check box for this below the username that you entered, but I doubt you need it.

ps: otherwise, if you don't mind avast not scanning, you can deactivate the warning about ssl somewhere in the email scanner settings.

Here's my Thunderbird SMTP server settings which have been this way for a long time with Avast:

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »
you're on thunderbird 2 (or 1.5...) right, switch to Thb3  ;) anyway I don't know if you cleared it for privacy reasons on the forums but you need to add there your email username as I said...then you'll be prompted to enter your password again when sending a mail (just the first time if you allow Thb to store it)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:44:31 PM by Logos »

bigaldoc

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
you're on thunderbird 2 (or 1.5...) right, switch to Thb3  ;) anyway I don't know if you cleared it for privacy reasons on the forums but you need to add there your email username as I said...then you'll be prompted to enter your password again when sending a mail (just the first time if you allow Thb to store it)
Pardon me, but let's not "corrupt" this thread with a discussion of TB 3, which is a whole 'nother unsatisfactory topic - been there and tried it and there are just too many "takeaways" for my liking.

If I've been using, as mentioned in my first post, TB 2.0.0.23 AND Avast 4.8 without problems, why do I now need to add stuff to my SMTP server settings because I've upgraded to Avast 5.0?  Avast should tell folks that during the upgrade process!

BUT, I'm game for a try at it and will go now and add username and password (without a display here!) and see what happens to Avast's ability to send emails.  I'll be back, one way or t'other.  Thanks for sticking with me!

::)  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:04:38 PM by bigaldoc »

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »
Pardon me, but let's not "corrupt" this thread with a discussion of TB 3...

OK, if you take it that way you're on your own, until another poster comes to your rescue  ::)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
... My ISP does NOT require authentication and neither secure connection nor authentication is or ever has been turn on!

If that is the case, then the authentication by name and password is unnecessary no?

Is it not just a case of changing the security provided by avast! in the mail shield settings?

bigaldoc

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
Well, that didn't take long!  Adding my username and password to the SMTP settings WORKED!  It asked for password the first time, I told TB to remember it and then sent a second test message at which time TB didn't "bother" me with the password.

You're a good "camper" Logos and Merci Beaucoup for all the patience!

But still I wonder why Avast doesn't have a FAQ or install tip to tell folks about this...

8) . . .  :D . . .  ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »
But still I wonder why Avast doesn't have a FAQ or install tip to tell folks about this...
it is only 5min since the program release........every bug have not been discovered yet

bigaldoc

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
If that is the case, then the authentication by name and password is unnecessary no?

Is it not just a case of changing the security provided by avast! in the mail shield settings?
Thanks for the post!  I would've said you're right about the authentication and I have no idea what to change in the mail shield settings. After reading your post I dug a little deeper into those screens and in Mail Shield, SSL, I see one where, at the bottom of the screen, is a tick-box that says: "Automatically detect and warn about unprotected SSL connections."  Is that the spot you're talking about?

Well, I don't know if I'm just as well off with putting in the name and password and LETTING Avast continue to use that "feechur."