Author Topic: Avast 5 released to public too soon ?  (Read 28286 times)

CharleyO

Re: Avast 5 released to public too soon ?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »

After doing 7 installations of 5.0 over 4.8 ... I am pleased as punch !

Four more to go.   :)

enddays

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
Ok guys, I suspected when I posted this it would tend to polarize replies between Avast longtime users and newer users. I personally have been using Avast 4 free for a number of years without any problems and was delighted to join this Forum on Avast 5 beta testing. My point was and is simply that it was being rushed into final release too soon, given reported conflicts with Malwarebytes Pro ( me ), PowerDVD, erratic  broadband connections / speeds, BSOD's, failing to update virus defs, having to go into safe mode for some actions, not recognizing registration details, fresh install / install over prev version indecision. I personally think it is also unaccceptable to ask users of Avast 5 free to uninstall other previously installed products from other developers to avoid conflicts with Avast, as this seems to me to be a back to front workaround.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:54:07 PM by enddays »

jeffj4873

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 12:48:53 AM »
Good synopsis enddays, and I would like to whole heartly AGREE with your statement. I also had used Avast for years since it was the only one that could clear a specific worm for me years ago. This release just came to fast, but I have all the Faith they will fix the problems and we will have a new machine to combat viruses

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »
I personally think it is also unaccceptable to ask users of Avast 5 free to uninstall other previously installed products from other developers to avoid conflicts with Avast, as this seems to me to be a back to front workaround.
I don't know which program you're referring to but, that practice is something Microsoft has done for years.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »
I have to say yes, it was sooner than I expected. There are some things that aren't smooth/fixed yet.
Amazing, I seem to remember you asking Alwil when are they finally going to release avast! 5 ???  ;D

??? Yes. I've asked when the next beta release(s) would be but I don't remember testifying for releasing it. Changing topic, it is probable to have an update soon. Hope it fixes the issues. :)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I use Win XP Pro SP2 and Avast 5 free edition does not work in computer Safe Mode.
it says the service is stopped,system is not protected etc.

so what ? do a bit a search and find out that it's a normal behavior. That's what safe mode is for, troubleshooting Windows, drivers are disabled etc...and you probably logged in in safe mode with network disabled too, so having the AV off is no big deal  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »
I use Win XP Pro SP2 and Avast 5 free edition does not work in computer Safe Mode.
it says the service is stopped,system is not protected etc.

That as has been said is the whole point of safe mode, if you have a problem and it is driver related, the last thing you want is for it to be carried over to safe mode, you wouldn't be able to resolve it. You should be able to start avast in safe mode though to do a scan by using the avast5 desktop shortcut I believe.

Though the big question has to be why are you in safe mode in the first place, what is it that you wanted to do that required safe mode ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
Yes as you have found in the other topic, the boot-time scan is the better option than safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jeffj4873

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
Agreed!! You comprimise safe mode by allowing other programs to run it it like that. Even your Antivirus.

Jab13

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 04:42:39 AM »
Not sure if Avast! is to blame, but I have been receiving several BSODs since upgrading to the recent 5.0.377 build.  I've however that this error only seems to occur while running IE8.  I've temporarily switched to Google Chrome to see if this resolves the problem.  So far there's been no problems while running Chrome.  I will reinstall IE8 and see if the problem persists...... what do you guys think about this?  ???

P.S.  Running Windows 7 32-bit

YoKenny

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 06:35:23 AM »
@ Jab13

The current pre-release is 5.0.396:
If you'd like, you can test the pre-release bits now. Anyone who has problems with the official build (5.0.377) - especially system-wide crashes or hangs - is welcome to do so. This build is also supposed to fix the "hang" issue of the previous pre-release builds (393/394) .
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54581.0

@ Andy G

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half plus it provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »
@ Andy G

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half plus it provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.
I didn't think to check whether Andy's version of IE was shown in his sig.  If it's IE-8, Update has been moved from Tools to Safety.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
@ Andy G

I didn't think to check whether Andy's version of IE was shown in his sig.  If it's IE-8, Update has been moved from Tools to Safety.

The key part of your quote is I didn't think

Its still in Tools then Windows update.  :)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »
Then I must have a weird version of IE-8.  Sure, it always was under Tools, but I double-checked before posting that last one and (on my system, anyway) it's definitely under Safety not Tools.  ???  Been that way since I first upgraded from 7 to 8.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

YoKenny

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
There is no Safety in the Menu Bar only:
File Edit View Favorites Tools Help

How to Display the Menu Bar in Internet Explorer 7
http://browsers.about.com/od/internetexplorertutorials/ss/ie7menubar.htm <== works in IE8 as well