Author Topic: 5.0 won't load allow internet access without turning off webshield  (Read 16412 times)

posturedoc

Re: 5.0 won't load allow internet access without turning off webshield
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »
If you have had Norton onboard, the first thing to do is to download and run their Norton Removal Tool from http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 .  Norton leaves behind a residual that often prevents other programs from replacing them without this extra effort.  And even Norton products that aren't running can interfere with others.  Then uninstall Avast! from safe mode and reinstall Avast! 5 version 394 normally.  Then let us know what you see and we can proceed from there,  :)

Good news, sded. Using the Norton Removal Tool did the trick. I didn't even have to remove and reinstall Avast as after I used the Norton tool and rebooted the computer, I had no problems logging on to the net. Thank you, sammie and everybody else who helped me with this problem. Good luck to the others who chimed in with the same problem. I hope my ultimately successful experience helps you fix your issue.

sded

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »
Glad it worked for you.  Norton sure doesn't maker it easy for a user to try the competition.  ;)

92 squadron

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
If you have Comodo antivirus active, you will need to remove it to install another antivirus product like Avast!  AVs are notorious for interfering with each other and causing serious problems for users.  Even deactivating is usually not sufficient.  General procedure is :
1. Uninstall Comodo Antivirus
2. Uninstall Avast! 5 using the uninstall procedure at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54385.0 (could be corrupted by Comodo) and reboot
3. Reinstall Avast! 5, reboot,  and let us know the results
AVs often install competing proxies and low level drivers that can interfere with each other.  And leave behind registry entries when you remove them that cause problems.

Unistalled COMODO -rebooted and hey presto all works as it should. I haven't uninstalled AVAST but it did say there was an update to install which I will do later today. Thanks for the help.
Regards
Mike

bradbogy

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »
Ok I am having the same issue. Web browsing will not work unless I deactivate the WebShield.

Running the most recent version of 5.0.

Details:
- OS XP SP3 (latest updates)
- Firewall - Windows Default Firewall ( no references to Avast in Firewall allowed programs) - There never needed to have Avast added to allowed programs in the past with 4.8 - Also yes I already tried adding Avast to allow programs and its a no go still.
- Avast is only Anti Virus software (updated from 4.8 never had any other anti virus installed ever.

Process of update:
- Uninstalled 4.8 through Add/Remove Programs
- Rebooted into Safe Mode
- Used the uninstall utility to uninstall 4.8 completely
- Rebooted back into normal mode
- Downloaded and installed the latest 5.0 release
- Updated virus defs and ran program update to make sure
- Rebooted PC

Attempted to run Firefox and IE as my browsers both launch but just attempt to load the web page.

PC is online... able to ping any IP address locally or out on the internet such as yahoo.com, or godaddy.com

IM programs run fine.

Don't use Outlook so I have no idea if it would accept email are not.

Ran connection tests and it says I am online connected fine.

Why do I have to disable my web shield for me to surf the web?

sded

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »
Are you using any other security programs (even if they aren't AVs) or other programs that may be using a proxy internally?  One thing to try is under FF tools/options/advanced/network/settings, set the http proxy to "localhost" port "12080" and see if it makes any difference.  Under the webshield settings/report file check all the boxes and see if anything shows up there.

bradbogy

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
No other security programs. Only Avast as already stated.

Why do I have to custom set any proxy settings in FF?

It should work with default settings. I always run everything from default.

Never had a problem with 4.8

I even used the removal tool for 5.0 as well and tried reinstalling 4.8 but it will not work either now.

sded

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »
You shouldn't have to do anything special.  Just trying to figure out where something got corrupted in the switch from 4.8 to 5.0 and currently have nothing to work with.   ???  Have you added any new programs or changed any services, or did you go through the steps outlined with nothing intervening?  Maybe a corrupted 5.0 installation-remove through add/remove, boot, boot into safe mode, run uninstaller, boot, reinstall. 

bradbogy

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 02:30:18 AM »
Hmm where do I find the web shield settings for the logs? Couldn't find it where you said webshield settings/report file

Also no other install and no change in services. I did the steps exactly as a I said. Already did that as well. Uninstalled booted into safe mode. Used 5.0 tool to remove... Rebooted and reinstalled same problem.

sded

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:28 AM »
I just meant to add the soft errors, ok items, skipped items to the report to see if anything showed up.  Maybe someone else will have an idea.

bradbogy

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:43 AM »
Ok I found where to check the settings for the report file.. I set the manual proxy in FF

Now how do I find the report file log to read it?

bradbogy

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 02:40:14 AM »
Ok never mind the previous question about the report file. It doesn't show anything though. Just that the report file started and stopped and the shield started and stopped.

bradbogy

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 02:42:48 AM »
Any other ideas? Kind of blowing my mind. Tried everything I can think of.

bradbogy

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 03:26:58 AM »
Yes HTTPS files work

bradbogy

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
But HTTP files wont.