Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 135082 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »
which v.5 are using?

avast! Free
avast! Pro
avast! Internet Security

I cannot see how you connected using v. 4.8
I turned off my avast v.5 and I closed and shutdown OA and still could not connect

I cannot see that it would be b/listed in my hosts file, I think perhaps yr site - script doesn't render? (guess)
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
Were you able to actually create a profile and log in? That's where the hang occurs. Sorry, I should've been more specific. I know this sounds like a sales pitch but seriously, we're just getting started: the site is totally free and you won't get any junk mail.

No as an avast user, I draw the line at checking to access the main site which you gave details about not registering at sites I check.

Also as I said as a dial-up user that site really is too media rich, I tried the Parents and start the game (or whatever the name was, but it was taking far to long.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:36:48 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Richpowell

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
Sorry folks, apparently the server was acting up earlier and it was impossible to sign in even if everything was okey-dokey!
I just tried it again: No sign in with shields on, can sign in with shields off. David: I totally understand. You'll just have to take my word for it: Avast is blocking my access, even when the site is in the "exclusions". I saw something out there on the web that mentioned that other Smartfox users have reported problems with the Avast 'Web Shield'.
I'm an artist, not a techie so this stuff is greek to me.

YoKenny

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
@ Richpowell

I checked Play Now! and it just hangs at CONNECTING...

I don't want to play with a Big Kahuna:  ;)
http://www.connectedstudios.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
Sorry folks, apparently the server was acting up earlier and it was impossible to sign in even if everything was okey-dokey!
I just tried it again: No sign in with shields on, can sign in with shields off. David: I totally understand. You'll just have to take my word for it: Avast is blocking my access, even when the site is in the "exclusions". I saw something out there on the web that mentioned that other Smartfox users have reported problems with the Avast 'Web Shield'.

Well firstly avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection, which I guess isn't happening or you would have said. As you said excluding the site didn't make any difference when the web shield wouldn't be scanning.

If there is an apparent blocking this is likely to be conflict of sorts. This was common with some firewalls and privacy functions/settings if you log on and flip between http and https to http pages (as parameters have to be passed). So my guess would be that the passage of the parameters going through a proxy is somehow blocked.

What is your firewall (Zone Alarm Pro used to cause similar issues with its privacy function) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »
Richpowell

Everything still the same with avast 5 stopped (in Services) and OA shut down.
Your problem cannot be with avast (almost certainly) - I'll try later on anyway.

really there is nothing available to me past the home page - you need to see yr webmaster

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Richpowell

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2010, 02:19:52 AM »
YoKenny: Thanks. That's exactly what happens to me. If you disable Avast shields, you get in.

DavidR: I'm not using a firewall.

Mkis: Yes, the site/game is there. There are only 4 of us developing so we've got a handle on things. I just shut down shields again and visited the site. We had an issue earlier in the day with our server but it's up again. Couldn't be more cut and dry: I try to get in with Avast shields on: No Luck. Turn Shields on and I'm in!

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2010, 06:25:31 AM »
Richpowell, you are not telling the truth.

Or are you going to tell me that yr Server is down again.

Dont make cheap shots at a good product like avast thanks. People build good game sites for children and their parents every day but this thing of yours is merely top heavy bloat. And i picked up yr script with a trace my first time in thank you very much. You () dont have no life to speak of. You need to hitch up yr curly braces. ;D  Easy enough done and good luck to you, but dont come here telling outright lies. The shields are good. There is nothing wrong with them.

petusalem

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »
are you on drugs mkis?  :P

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »
Why? Have you got some?

would you like to search my name on LinkedIn, Google network, Facebook, or name somewhere yrself?
I have nothing to hide, can you not tell that?

why defend someone who comes to this forum and tells lies?

Dont ever think I cannot back up anything I say, petusalem?

In the screenshot - the script through Trace with both online armor and avast turned off in services

How could avast possibly have prevented the connection.
And I ran the test again at 6.20pm my time this evening.

I'm sure they will tidy up their script engine, but why should they blame avast?
What has avast done to them?

vvvvv

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
ok I am experiencing this problem

I am using live data streaming
(stockmarket)  into my computer and avast 5 is slowing it down. I discovered this when an announcement was release to the market and it still wasn't on my screen and someone had read it and commented on it on a forum :'(

I have had to turn off every shield on to get the data to stream.

I will try tomorrow to see if putting the url in the excursion list. But the URL changes every time i log in so i don't think this will help.

People aren't complaining about it because you will not notice it unless you need data streaming.

Richpowell

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
Mkis: I came here looking for help. I actually have enjoyed Avast for many years and wish to continue using it. What would it benefit me to lie? I'm simply trying to figure out a problem Avast is having with our SmartFox server in relation to the new Web Shields. Thanks for nothing and also for the personal attacks. You're  hostile attitude has done more to hurt my perception of Avast than anything the program itself could have done.Congratulations.

Is there no moderator on these boards?

Hermite15

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
you didn't provide anything so far to show how avast was interfering with your browsing activity on that site. Got any screen shot, an alert from Avast, a log file? ...don't be surprised if some here are wondering if you're just attempting to get new members there ;D You didn't even tell which version of Avast you were using ::) ... just requested that one should first try to register to see what avast does :D

Richpowell

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
Thanks Logos, yes I can understand how it ould be perceived that way. I'm not a big board-poster so bear with me.

I'll provide a couple shots here. I'll provide the shot of the Avast interface with the exclusions, the "connecting" screen that appears during the hang (web shields activated) and the two screens that come up (login and the first game screen) that appear when I've deactivated shields and gotten into the site.

I don't get a message from Avast at any time. Is there something more I could provide you with to help?

Thanks again.

Hermite15

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
OK I just went to your site and indeed it hangs on connecting... nothing tells me that it's Avast related, and sorry but I'm not ready to stop the shields to test the behavior of that site.