Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134967 times)

Richpowell

Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
I understand completely.

What, do you think, is my best option? I've sent a ticket to Avast tech support 3 days ago with no response.

petusalem

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
OK I just went to your site and indeed it hangs on connecting... nothing tells me that it's Avast related, and sorry but I'm not ready to stop the shields to test the behavior of that site.

Nice attitude.  ;D

And yes, It is avast! this time. Just tested with other security setups and site is working just fine. "evangelists" like mkis and logos are two reasons to stop using avast!  :-\

Disabling webshield fixes that connection problem.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:47:22 PM by petusalem »

mmusang

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
hi everybody,
I also having my web service or internet been denied after I install avast 5 over avast4.
what I did is as below.
1) use avast removal tools in safe mode to completely remove avast 4&5
2) after reboot, i install avast 5 and reboot again, but still having similar problem
3) since register key is expired, once I put in new key, my internet connection going smooth.

it seems related to registration key, but i will report again if having same problem. 8) ;D :D

Hermite15

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
OK I just went to your site and indeed it hangs on connecting... nothing tells me that it's Avast related, and sorry but I'm not ready to stop the shields to test the behavior of that site.

Nice attitude.  ;D

you do what you want with your computer dude ;D

Richpowell

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
Like I said, Logos: I understand that you wouldn't want to visit a site unsecured. Thanks for checking out my problem anyway.

Sparxx

« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
Richpowell , to be able to connect you need to enter the global settings>troubleshooting> redirect settings and to delete at HTTP section the use of port 80

spg SCOTT

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
Richpowell , to be able to connect you need to enter the global settings>troubleshooting> redirect settings and to delete at HTTP section the use of port 80

That is the same as turning off the webshield...it will scan nothing then...what is the point...

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
Look I only have a few free minutes to check the threads at this moment.

RichPowell, I turned avast completely OFF!
It wasn't running on my machine at all. So how could it be causing the connection problem

Plus I turned OA firewall completely OFF. (see screenshot)
This is not recommended practice as the only protection I had left was my hosts file blacklist.
I guess I have to check that now and see if yr site is listed there.
okay if I picked up an infection on yr site I would have some good fun cleaning it off my computer.  :D

But the problem is that yr script() is not running anything, whether initializing or not, it doesn't seem to open anything but a new members page (with bad flash) that has what appears a routine that renders what looks like text message in comic sans saying 'connecting' - there also appears to be a flash player problem on this page but obviously I have limited capacity to know for a fact.

You have to see yr webmaster about this or else provide permissions for us to log in through yr ISP and have priviliges to access yr script and make corrections in yr -- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ----

I just know its not avast because avast is turned OFF.

Now I'm going to have to run my system through check after all this carry on. I have had to make exceptions to the rules I run my system under so that I could test yr site. Obviously we do make mistakes here but they are not normally related to the key points in an issue, and if we do make errors, we admit as much and then move on - lets hope I have not made any errors in this carry on that will affect my layered defence. In which case I will have some work ahead of me.

Now do you think there are any errors on yrr page as they will mainifest in yr DOCTYPE?

Edit - well they might manifest, but whether easy job to find the errors is another story

Maybe try the following links may help to put yr pages in better shape and by the way these google analytics pageTracker scripts which are used to gather data on visitors tp yr pages are known to throw up false positives  ??? - personal experience = University of Auckland home page, so at least I knew that in that case it couldn't be malware, and had to be a FP. :)  But with yr site that kind of warning would almost certainly be taken to be malware and alerts would be sent out. Mind you, more free exposure, I suppose.  ;D

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Analytics/thread?tid=5d84f6ae03ccd07f&hl=en

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2261328/InstallingGATrackingCode

I'm not sure if heuristics in web shields are affected by these code insertions. Certainly worth a thought so I wont request an apology as avast team may find some interest value in this. Maybe something we can learn, I dont know. But remember that I tried this site with avast turned OFF.  So...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:07:59 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Richpowell

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
Mkis, thanks but no thanks. Apparently you're nuts or something.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »
what don't you understand about my reply? please explain

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
Rich, I just had a brief look at your site.

The registration form (the flash applet on it) seems to be using Woopra for some tracking pusposes. Namely, your applet is creating a connection to toonstunes.com.woopra-ns.com, with the following HTTP command

GET /ping/cookie=OFO0KA1N5M0LWKIMP67UQ5DLNNY24PDF&alias=toonstunes.com&idle=13&ra=T8GF5ABPJRQ5RKKXUQJJBHG5UCJ7GLS4 HTTP/1.1

(obviously the cookie values are randomly generated).

Now, the response to this request is bogus. Specifically, the server does not return properly formatted HTTP headers. HTTP headers should be terminated with CRLFCRLF. These were terminated with LFLF (see RFC 2616).

Looks like a config problem on Woopra side. You'll probably have to get in touch with them to find out more, or use another tracking device.

BTW such a protocol violation would probably confuse any HTTP proxy (WebShield including) as it doesn't allow us to detect the end of the headers section, and distinguish the payload.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:32:29 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vvvvv

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
vik

could you please respond to my problem please

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
Richpowell

apologies for my tone, I concede that I can be a right ar$&#ole at times.

I better move on

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
could you please respond to my problem please

Yes, streaming servers are inherently a problem (as WebShield is trying to cache the data streams before they're fed to the scanner). What service are you talking, specifically? We're trying to work with the streaming content publishers (such as stock quote server owners) to make the streaming data recognizable from our side.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Richpowell

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2010, 02:24:43 AM »
Bravo Vlk. Thanks so much. I'll submit your response to our programmer.
-Rich