Author Topic: You can lead a horse to the water, but you cannot make it use NoScript..  (Read 56841 times)

SafeSurf

And even if we do get infected , so what ? We have all these security programs installed that should be able to get rid of those infections(like AVAST)  and in worst case scenario even if we cannot get rid of them, we still have our backup programs which in my opinion are worth a whole lot more than some stupid NS.

I use NS and certainly am no expert on coding.  But I do think that the majority of ordinary users do NOT have the security set up that we do, do not know how to do back ups / imaging and restores, do not know have the proper layering of software for detecting malware and rely on one software alone, and even then do not always update their software regularly.  I'm referring to general users, not people on this forum.  We have educated ourselves and try to educate others. 

So to say that "If we do get infected, so what?  We have all these security programs installed that should be able to get rid of those infections."  This is untrue for the general population of PC users.  And so malware gets spread.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I use NS and certainly am no expert on coding.  But I do think that the majority of ordinary users do NOT have the security set up that we do, do not know how to do back ups / imaging and restores, do not know have the proper layering of software for detecting malware and rely on one software alone, and even then do not always update their software regularly.  I'm referring to general users, not people on this forum.  We have educated ourselves and try to educate others. 

So to say that "If we do get infected, so what?  We have all these security programs installed that should be able to get rid of those infections."  This is untrue for the general population of PC users.  And so malware gets spread.

You made a good point, SafeSurf...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DukeNukem

If I were paranoid about security I would use NoScript.

Hard_ROCKER

Hi m2,

If we would take the analogy a tiny bit further and I did not propagate the use of NS inside a browser but a safety belt in a car. And you, m2, came here and said well I want to go onto the road in a car without safety belts, because this makes my life miserable ..life is fast going these days and the majority don't have the time and the will to learn to use a safety belt, it is boring and time consuming and quite frankly, ....etc.
I don't know really but everybody would say the man that want to take the ride without a safety belt has the wrong arguments and moreover he will be fined (in our case will get malware onto his computer), and I can think of a whole lot  of other similar situations where we can make similar analogies - sex and precautionary measures (well back up mechanisms won't do you much good there) etc. etc., so I understand more than you think I do,

polonus

Sorry but that is a stupid analogy, you cannot compare cars or sex to computers. Unsafe sex and being without a seatbelt can get you injured/sick and in worst case scenario killed. Computers cannot get you killed, worst case scenario you loose all your data and that is not the same as being involved in a serious car accident or geting aids/hiv or some other stupid disease.

1. M2 has hit on my main resistance to using NS which is that I would have to use a browser that I don't care for-FF.
2. Aside from the HIPS like annoyances NS would cause and which I would not enjoy, I just don't like FF at all in the first place.

1. Well, it sure is up to you, what to use. Nevertheless, we still can (and also should) advice the use of NoScript to all the users, who run Firefox...!! ;)
2. There's no annoyance, at all. Set it up, run it. Allow the pages you trust, all others get blocked without nagging. Most scripts on the sites out there are only for statistics, tracking or adds...! So why run them..??
asyn

I see allow the pages you trust huh ?  ::) And just how sure can you be that you can trust them ? You really can't can you since all pages can get hacked don't they ?
And ads don't bother most of us, neither do statistics. Infact i and i am sure alot of users sometimes stumble upon an advertisement for a product that we like, maybe even get a special discount because we clicked on that ad banner and that is not bad. I agree though that pop-up windows can be annoying but most modern browsers can block those easily. No need for a special program to do that. And as far as online banking is concerned, if you have any sense at all you just won't use it and will go to the bank personally. It's hard even to trust banks themsleves these days yet alone their online banking pages.

I use NoScript.
And trust me when I say, I am about as far from being able to read code as anyone you would meet, on or off-line.
I don't need to understand the code it blocks, I just allow the bare minimum to get a sites features working. (1-3 scripts, typically)
It was obtrusive at first, but now I only interact with it a couple times per day, on average. 
(Being currently unemployed, "a day" meaning ~12 hours online)

Can't argue with the backup statement, though.  That should always be #1 priority, imo. 

3 out of 4 PC/human relationships do not make the persons life easier, from what I have seen.
But that is not the computers fault. :)

Oh i see, allow 1-3 scripts that you don't really understand what they do ? lol doesn't that defeat the purpose of NS since 1 of those scripts could actually be something nasty ? Isn't that the same as not using NS ? 

Hard_ROCKER

If i were paranoid about security i would unplug my internet cable.

DukeNukem

If i were paranoid about security i would unplug my internet cable.

You posted a reply without thinking about the context of the statement.

The context being surfing safely online with firefox.

I see you have something unplugged....

Hard_ROCKER

No not really, if you are that paranoid either don't use the internet or don't use the computer. If you are paranoid inside a car then don't drive it, use the bus or the train. Simple as that.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
1. I see allow the pages you trust huh ?  ::) And just how sure can you be that you can trust them ? You really can't can you since all pages can get hacked don't they ?

2. And ads don't bother most of us, neither do statistics. Infact i and i am sure alot of users sometimes stumble upon an advertisement for a product that we like, maybe even get a special discount because we clicked on that ad banner and that is not bad.

3. I agree though that pop-up windows can be annoying but most modern browsers can block those easily. No need for a special program to do that.

4. And as far as online banking is concerned, if you have any sense at all you just won't use it and will go to the bank personally. It's hard even to trust banks themsleves these days yet alone their online banking pages.

1. Maybe you didn't notice, but you just made another good point pro using NoScript..! ;)
2. If you like Ads, I won't tell you no to watch them. Just be aware, there also have been threats from ads in the past..!
3. We're not talking of pop-up blocking here. ::)
4. Wasn't it you, who talked about the modern way and making things easier..!?? Well, seems you're not that sure about it, at all...! So you don't trust your bank, but trust any script from any site...???
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hard_ROCKER

Nope i don't really trust anyone completely but i just don't worry about it. Where would that get me ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Nope i don't really trust anyone completely but i just don't worry about it. Where would that get me ?

Exactly that's the point..!
Use NS and you don't have to worry..!! (Only about your bank, maybe.. :D)
asyn

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
I just updated my Firefox Minefield to Firefox 4 Beta2pre and NoScript has become incompatible

Maybe I have to wait for an update :'(

Hard_ROCKER

Like i already explained to you, i don't understand the code that i am blocking and if i allow a few scripts on one of my so called "trusted" pages i still cannot be sure that the site wasn't hacked and i am allowing some nasty piece of code to run. That is why i prefer to run my browser inside a sandbox and refuse to use online banking. Not to mention i don't use FF nor will i ever use it.  

Gargamel360

@m2

I could allow all scripts and not lose all the protective features.  So allowing a couple on the pages I visit a lot does not defeat the purpose at all.
For me, using this forgoes the need for additional protection from something that is more likely to cause conflicts or troubleshooting problems, or would cost me money.  
For you, it constitutes paranoia, I guess?

Thats ok, when a rouge steals your joy, you are right, you can come here for help :)

Hard_ROCKER

I just updated my Firefox Minefield to Firefox 4 Beta2pre and NoScript has become incompatible

Maybe I have to wait for an update :'(

Wasn't there a special extension that Polonus mentioned which allows you to force those extensions to run even if they claim to be incompatible ? I forgot the name though.

Hard_ROCKER

Thats ok, when a rouge steals your joy, you are right, you can come here for help :)

More likely i will be able to get rid of the nasty myself. ;) So far i have yet to come accross a nasty infection that i was unable to clean. And i am not talking about my own pc because it never gets infected. I've cleaned many-a-pc from infections so no worries. But if somehow i am unable i will go to G2G or a similar site where the real experts are. And yes i know about essexboy but the forum rules over at G2G are much more to my liking simply because there only the experts reply to victims unlike here where every wannabe kid is offering advice.