Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 beta has been released a few days ago.  (Read 20114 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Yes, i know that. But there is no way of disabling on-access archive scanning.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hermite15

funny how nobody feels the need to discuss the major difference with the previous version, mentioned in my last post in this thread but never mind guys ::)

rdmaloyjr

I said I was going to wait until MSE 2 was out of beta,

but went ahead and installed it along with the newest version

of Windows Firewall Control.

MSE 2 beta is lighter than MSE 1 and updates good so far.

AFAIK, there still isn't no webshield. :'(

I like it, but I like avast! 5 better. :)

Avast! team, how about a 64bit avast! 5 ???

The only thing different I noticed about W7FC 3.5.1.131

is the "scream" is toned down. ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:50:08 PM by rdmaloyjr »

Hermite15

AFAIK, there still isn't no webshield

no, but there's something else...look harder ::)

derry

rdmaloyjr MSE does not need a web shield because its already their. Internet explorer 8 with MSE will blocks malicious sites and downloads. Internet explorer smart screen will block things MSE cant. If you use MSE and IE8 it will block most of the things that are out their. I went on malwaredomainlist with MSE and IE8 they 2 worked really great it missed 2 out of 40 things.

Hermite15

rdmaloyjr MSE does not need a web shield because its already their. Internet explorer 8 with MSE will blocks malicious sites and downloads. Internet explorer smart screen will block things MSE cant. If you use MSE and IE8 it will block most of the things that are out their. I went on malwaredomainlist with MSE and IE8 the 2 worked really great it missed 2 out of 40 things.

okay if you really tested that that's good news, and thanks for posting ;)

rdmaloyjr

rdmaloyjr MSE does not need a web shield because its already their. Internet explorer 8 with MSE will blocks malicious sites and downloads. Internet explorer smart screen will block things MSE cant. If you use MSE and IE8 it will block most of the things that are out their. I went on malwaredomainlist with MSE and IE8 they 2 worked really great it missed 2 out of 40 things.

Who uses IE ::) ;D ;D ;D

I surf the Internet with Opera. :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Logos,

The difference with the script watcher has various implications, and it is striking that here there are not that many that comment on that particular striking difference, well apart from me and you and rdmalloy no-one realized it in this thread. Maybe because they live in an another world, they do not experience the IE ads on tele like we have in Europe where IE is pinching the Fx float to try to ridicule the Mozilla browser and get back some of their lost browser territory, and how the MS Indians are back on the same monopoly-road again as they have been before - positioning their browser versus third party browsers, because they sure feel the heat now of Fx and GoogleChrome. The days that users thought blue e was identical with surfing the Internet are slowly coming to and end, and it is funny that MS always come up with the same old answers...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hermite15

thanks for posting Polonus, really appreciated ;) yep MS must have felt they had to do something...losing more and more market share in Europe (with IE), while the masses are being told by their own governments how insecure Internet Explorer is, and are advised to switch to Firefox...there's something goin' on...seeing MS introduce a script blocker is quite an event ;D

Hermite15

so that everyone can see it ;D >>> screen shot (from the help files of 2.0 beta)

and...unrelated:
Yes, i know that. But there is no way of disabling on-access archive scanning.
wrong, there's a section to exclude any type of file for both on demand and on access scans.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:33:58 PM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Logos,

And there is still a lot to be done, analyzed a particular media website and found fieldset. There was a fieldset bug in IE7 and IE8 that was not there in good old IE6, that is called a regression hole, isn't it, see it described and the POC here:
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/archives/2007/08/MSIE7_fieldset_bug.html
Is it still there? Unfortunately, this dialog, the "3rd trickiest" of the (only 3) available JavaScript dialogs in the web browser, is horribly broken... in fact, it hasn't even been patched once since its original design, made available in 1995! (That's 15 years ago for those without calculators!)
It was still there in May 2010: http://drupal.org/user/645062 see:  http://drupal.org/node/311203
There is a solution for it here: http://www.mattheerema.com/web-design/2006/04/getting-fieldset-backgrounds-and-legends-to-behave-in-ie/

polonus
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:45:28 PM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi malware fighters,

And then there is this issue: http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/rise-rogue-av-testers-070910
and they got a lot of critique: http://nsslabs.com/browser-security
The SmartScreen Filter in IE8. Microsoft's browser got a unique URL blocking score of 89% and an overal protection score of 85%. "Internet Explorer 8 is by far the best browser where protection against csocial engineering malware is concerned." The 30% increase in suspicious and malicious websites detectedshows it has a "superior feedback mechanism". Other browsers in the test could hardly block more URL's after five days....

Now what about Fx with NoScript installed and browsers with the avast shields active?

polonus

YoKenny

The SmartScreen Filter in IE8. Microsoft's browser got a unique URL blocking score of 89% and an overal protection score of 85%. "Internet Explorer 8 is by far the best browser where protection against csocial engineering malware is concerned." The 30% increase in suspicious and malicious websites detectedshows it has a "superior feedback mechanism". Other browsers in the test could hardly block more URL's after five days....

Its Firefox believers that believe it is the best.  ::)

How many Firefox fixes have been issued lately ???

Hermite15

can you name the ten last flaws in FF (for the last month)?

Dch48

Hi malware fighters,

And then there is this issue: http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/rise-rogue-av-testers-070910
and they got a lot of critique: http://nsslabs.com/browser-security

Now what about Fx with NoScript installed and browsers with the avast shields active?

polonus

That would be cheating. The test was of browsers, not addons and security products.

It's also interesting to see that Opera fails horribly.