Author Topic: Kazaa  (Read 17309 times)

Luis

Kazaa
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:37:51 PM »
I'm trying to download and install Kazaa media desktop from the Kazaa site and I get the: "Warning, there is a virus in your computer"
Has the Kazaa site been infected or is this a false positite?

Thanks in advance

Luis

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Kazaa
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:50:17 PM »
There'll be other answers along, I'm sure -- but given Kazaa's reputation for carrying all kinds of malware, it's a safe bet you really did pick up something you shouldn't have.

Others will recommend alternate (and good) sources for music -- but I think you'll find nearly universal agreement that you should stay the heck away from Kazaa and clean every trace of it out of your system.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

stoffell

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 11:10:34 PM »
if you really want this filesharing stuff, go for shareaza, there's also a kazaa lite version (without spyware and stuff) but I'd still recommend shareaza.

It's an open source p2p sharing program..
http://www.shareaza.com/

Advice, before you install anything, have a look on google to make sure it's trusthworthy..

neal62

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 11:44:50 PM »
Luis,

What MikeBCda said about Kazaa is quite true. Stay away from it and most of the music sites. The sites or I should say the people that share files at those sites have viruses etc in their shared pc files. Thats where your pc could contract a malware infection very easily and quickly. ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:46:58 PM »
What file is reported as infected? And what is the name of the virus?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 01:10:11 AM »
get iTunes. it is legal and virus free
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Staind

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 05:12:53 AM »
Limewire, Kazaa Lite, Shareaza (is ok, not a lot of music though) are all good.  I think LimeWire is best though.

Sapherz

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:58:35 AM »
I though Avast stopped viruses from loading into memory, and told you once it sees a virus sig on your system. So are you not safe to use the likes of kazaa?
and of course we all virus check files we download before opening :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:15:16 PM »
There is no need to use applications like Kazaa. There are many websites where you can download music for free and all legally. For (almost?) all applications there is a free one that does the same. eg: instead of MS-Office you can use openoffice or staroffice 5, instead of the installshield creator you can use nsis etc etc.

Stop stealing!

I am sure you don't like it when your boss at the end of the month say to you: "Sory, no payment for you this month. Someone stole our products and now I can't afford your salary"

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
Calm down guys...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mikedallos

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »
Luis.............PLEASE..........get rid of KaZaA!!!!!!!!!!

Please, do yourself and your PC a favor......... 8) ??? :o

lee16

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 01:21:54 PM »
Stop stealing!

I am sure you don't like it when your boss at the end of the month say to you: "Sory, no payment for you this month. Someone stole our products and now I can't afford your salary"

Artras, this is just my opinon of course, but the way i see it, why pay for something that is overpriced? , i mean look at all them microsoft products, isn't that bill gates rich enough without ripping off (stealing) from everyone, people always say bill gates is a very rich man, well i should bloody hope so hes got everyones money.
I personaly would have no problem paying for avast! pro, sygate firewall, webroot products ect because they are resenably cheap, and are worth the money, but not Zonealarm, nortan, MS office ect ect because there all overpriced, there basicly stealing from me.
But i don't use cracks and stuff on programs because i can infact pay for them, the only thing i can't get is a decent pc because i can't offord to put myself in deat.

Calm down guys...

I don't think people are getting anoyed VIK, there just expressing there opinons.

Has the Kazaa site been infected or is this a false positite?

Its just plain crap, it puts viruses and malware on your pc, and you can now get fined if cault using it.
The only good one i have found that doesn't infect you in some way is Winmx.

--lee

KezzerDrix

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »
King Kazaa is in his death throws

Use www.shareaza.com or www.overnet.com

Yo, which is better openoffice or staroffice?

fined? is that a british thing?

Oh yea one more thing USE PROTECTION when using any p2p.

Protowall - www.bluetack.co.uk with
blocklist manager

Or

PeerGuardian - www.methlabs.org
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:25:30 PM by KezzerDrix »

lee16

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 09:40:36 PM »
fined? is that a british thing?

Must be then, erm how to explain this, ok if you were to drive over the speed limit over here you will get fined money (lets say £100 for example), so its when you have to pay money ot for breaking the law, any clearer now?

--lee

KezzerDrix

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 10:36:05 PM »
 ;D ;D I know what the word fined means, I was refering to being fined for using kazaa