Author Topic: [Resolved] CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5  (Read 61879 times)

reuven

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
Interesting.If I tried to access new messages or send messages, I got error messages, but when Mail shield was disabled, I could send messages, and I received messages,some hours old. I can surf the net with Web shield on. But for one address in browser, I am taken to a web page of similar name, but not the one I require.
                         reuven

Skowy

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
thanks DavidR -

now, the problem got worse - the internet connection is being blocked by the AIS or AIS firewall and will not connect the PC to internet the Laptop works fine...

it states [windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network]

i cant run that report essexboy requested because i cant connect to the internet even with the entire avast program disabled, i contacted ISP bigpond and i am booked to speak with a technician to solve that problem, hopefully? $99 bucks to get it connected, its a frigging rip off!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:41 AM »
If you mean you can't download combofix, why not download it on the laptop and copy to a CD and transfer to the PC. The reason I suggest copy to a CD is if your system were to be infected it could infect any USB you connect or if you used the network to transfer from the notebook to the PC.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skowy

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
okay solved the internet connection problem - i had to reconfigure the router again;

so i downloaded and ran ComboFix but i didn't get a log report? its not in my downloads folder or my documents? the computer simply booted automatically...

what do i do to get that log report i searched for the file but I dont know if its there so i posted the attached image of it -  

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
The log should be at C:\Combofix.txt

If not then reboot and run Combofix again, the problems described indicate a possible rootkit

Skowy

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
found it - i rebooted and ran the program again and it worked -

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
OK I now think we can rule out malware - so we are looking at a system problem now.  Now we need to determine why webshield is not allowed to go through the firewall 

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations.

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Click Start > Run  and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.  MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove along with ERUNT.  But they may be useful tools to keep

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave:

Open Avast 5 and go to Firewall > Applications rules - is yours similar to this ?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
Skowy did you mess around with the fw settings ? Look at essexboy's screenshot and tell us if it looks the same on your end. And do another screenshot. This time go to FIREWALL LOGS and select show log for CONNECTIONS(not show log for activity but show log for connections ok ?). Take a screenshot of that and show it to us. If the firewall is blocking webshield it will look something like this:

Skowy

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
M416 - No setting were changed in AIS

Essexboy - Yes its the same as your AIS

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:53:30 PM by Skowy »

Skowy

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2010, 04:28:38 AM »
Thanks for all your help Essexboy -

i purchased and downloaded everything and completed each task according to your instructions; but it was unsuccessful in solving the problem of browser connectivity using Avast Internet Security version 5

"The STUPID webshield must be disabled to allow browser connectivity????" :'(

What happens NOW? :o

(a) do we all give up go to the pub and get hammered
(b) Do i get a full refund but keep the 24 month subscription and service because the web shield doesn't work?

if it is NOT the computer or the operating system NOT malware related then what is it?  ???

would i need to purchase another avast AIS 5 to see if its related toooooo blaaaaahhhhhhhhhh  :P

SafeSurf

« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
OK I now think we can rule out malware - so we are looking at a system problem now.  Now we need to determine why webshield is not allowed to go through the firewall .

i purchased and downloaded everything and completed each task according to your instructions; but it was unsuccessful in solving the problem of browser connectivity using Avast Internet Security version 5. <snip> If it is NOT the computer or the operating system NOT malware related then what is it?
Essexboy is not done with you yet.  He stated above that he now ruled out malware, but he needs to figure out if it is a systems problem.  We need to rule one thing out at a time before moving on to the next step.  I know you want to get things working in your machine, and we are doing the best we can and as quickly as we can, and we appreciate your patience.   :)

Skowy

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »
No worries SafeSurf thanks, I thought it was all over...

The time zone issue frustrates me a bit but as long as someone is saying something to help then i got ear to the ground.   

I will say this about the forum, its a relief to see its not over unsolved, and honestly i am surprised by the level of support, everyone is giving it a go...thanks   

SafeSurf

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:48 AM »
I'm always looking over your shoulder...not to worry.  ;)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
Under the Avast service can you check that no ports are specified

Skowy

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:17 AM »
My AIS tabs appear different to yours - there appears different headings -

The first and second tabs are labeled [Avast!antivirus]

The third [Avast! antivirus update]

The forth [Avast! Firewall service]

it doesn't appear the same as your label headings?    
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:35:04 AM by Skowy »