Author Topic: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off  (Read 21284 times)

ixjhveayinrz

AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
Hello all,

In the latest version of Avast, the program AvastUI.exe is trying to connect to the internet despite all internet related settings being off. I have the latest version of Avast Pro, installed only the filesystem shield, and it is still trying to connect.

Please fix this error in the next version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AvastUI.exe connecting to internet despite setting it off
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »
I have AIS and the avastUI.exe still connects.
By the way, I see no problems on it. Why should I?
The best things in life are free.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
The problem is that you cannot trust a security product that is sending information to the web behind your back - especially when your boss makes you work on computers which contain very private and sensitive data.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »
The problem is that you cannot trust a security product that is sending information to the web behind your back - especially when your boss makes you work on computers which contain very private and sensitive data.
Uncheck to participate in avast Community then into avast settings.
The info passed away is technical (viruses found, actions taken with the files, etc.) NEVER personal data.
You need to trust your security company before using the software.
Here there is no space for doubts :)

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »
If you read my initial post again, you will notice that I said all internet related settings were turned off.

This means that participating in avast community was off as well.

Hence BUG.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
All my life in avast hands... What's the difference about a connection?
They got my memory dumps, my posts, my mind, my time :)

Ok, if it is a bug, let they troubleshoot it :)

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »
I understand - is there any way of escalating this to some avast developer?

High_Treason

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:27 AM »
A lot of software seems to do this now and I also never trust software that does this, maybe check to see if Avast has an exception in your firewall, if it does, perhaps turning off the exception will make it unable to connect to the internet? I don't think this would work, but it is worth a try, though it might break updates until you re-enable the exception.

Guess this isn't my topic, but I took the time to register and I may as well drop in occasionally when bored to see if I can be of any use eh?

Oh, and to the OP, it seems people in this community don't like hearing about issues in Avast for some reason, or at least, they won't believe you, no matter how computer literate you are. Perhaps you can send an e-mail to Avast support, which can be found easily on their website.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:23:30 AM »
Well, "All internet related settings" isn't very useful - since we don't know which ones you think are internet related. So please name them all.
Second, it might be useful to know where the connection goes.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:47:47 AM »
OK more details.

Windows XP service pack 3, english. All windows updates applied. No other security software installed. It is a clean installation of windows using MSDN as resource - no infection on the computer.

Using avast Pro 5.1.889 english, clean installation (i.e. not an update), legal license file supplied (can provide evidence of this, since I am a paying customer).

During installation, only the filesystem module selected, i.e. NO virtualization, NO webshield, etc.

Lets now go through settings:

Open avast interface and go to settings.

In BASIC, uncheck "Show remote content..."

In UPDATES, select "Manual update" for both options. In UPDATE parameters, having either or both or none of the options selected makes no difference - avast still connects (what do they do anyway?)

In STATUS BAR, uncheck "Virus definition version", "Program version", "Definition auto updates".

In COMMUNITY, uncheck "Participate in avast..."

All other settings left at default.

The computer does not have Adobe Flash installed - hence it cannot be flash trying to autoupdate.

The connection is a DNS request (going to port 53 of my DNS server) from AvastUI.exe.

Blocking this connection has no effect on update features of Avast - manual update works flawlessly.

Please tell me what more you need - I need this resolved.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 02:00:19 AM »
It seems people in this community don't like hearing about issues in Avast for some reason
On contrary, it's the only way to get better and mature, to improve and develop.

or at least, they won't believe you, no matter how computer literate you are.
Again not. I mean, we're not judging the personal experiences. Just sharing ours.

Perhaps you can send an e-mail to Avast support, which can be found easily on their website.
Igor already jump here.

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:42:52 AM »
Using wireshark, the DNS requests coming from AvastUI.exe are for "program.avast.com" and "www.avast.com".

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »

Oh, and to the OP, it seems people in this community don't like hearing about issues in Avast for some reason, or at least, they won't believe you, no matter how computer literate you are. Perhaps you can send an e-mail to Avast support, which can be found easily on their website.

Unfortunately, that is just rediculous! It is in everyones best interest (uasers and developers)to listen and hear what users are saying as well as supporters, regardless of computer literacy...computer literacy, what does that mean?? We all have our strengths in certain areas, No one is Super Dude with nothing to learn! ;)

High_Treason

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:03:12 AM »
Well, I just felt that people basically tried to squash my claims about the performance of Avast 5 because they did not agree with them, I may be mistaken, but hey, that's what it looked like. However, this was in another thread and I won't go into it here if you don't mind as I do not intend to take this thread off-topic.

Everyone always has something left to learn - for example, I have yet to learn how to operate Windows Vista/7 without causing a BSOD after 30 seconds, but you can not disagree with something that is a fact wether you like it or not.

mitchell64

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »
I think you will find the AvastUI.exe is the connection made by Avast control panel / Summary / Current Status to display the advertising & Avast News Service.

I have the AvastUI.exe entry in Comodo Firewall & i tried for interests sake & was able to block it.  :)
I suppose you could create a rule with whatever firewall you use if you don't want this connection happening (just a thought hope it is of some help)  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:48:38 AM by mitchell64 »