Author Topic: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views  (Read 34883 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
I'm no fan of their latest version interface. It looks too much like a toy widget than a serious program.
avast! has been in that way and most didn't like it. Current form is nice enough that it pleases most of the users.
So i don't think they'll be changing it, especially not in the Kaspersky 2012 way...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline gautam7

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Well Version 6 been released not long ago and avast dev have much to do regarding the conflict with different firewall and there are also some other pressing matter like improving autosandbox, waprap improvement etc. I dont think they will go for interface change in a hurry. :)
Lenovo B40 laptop/ core i3 4010U CPU (1.7 GHz)/ 4.0 GB RAM/500 GB HDD,OS: windows 10 64 bit, Browser: Google Crome/ FF (adblock plus, lastpass,) Security: Avast pro 10, MBAM (free).

Offline yowanvista

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
I totally agree, the current UI is too big and not minimal. it does not even fit in netbook's screens
Even other vendors have made modern UIs for their products, i agree that Avast's UI has been improved but its now time to design a better and more modern one

privateofcourse

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
More modern? I think 'modern' is an entirely subjective concept. And for all that I've said already about the Avast GUI, it isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, even though I'd still much prefer my system 'theme' to apply to the software I am using, but that is my particular preference. However, that said, I do think alternative GUI colour schemes would be nice touch actually...although I know now that there won't be a 'default system' setting ever because Igor has already stated that there is no way to 'unskin' Avast, well not without considerable redevelopment, which is a shame but not exactly the end of the world.

I have to say that as is, even considering visual accessibility, the current Avast GUI seems to cover most bases (needs more config options still, but that's something else entirely ;-) ). And even if you are colour blind I don't think the GUI will do your head in too much, or prevent you from accessing the features. To test this I snapped the Avast GUI and uploaded it here:

http://www.colblindor.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

Seems pretty much accessible no matter what colour blindness you happen to suffer from...but alternative colour schemes would still be nice, even if not really essential.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:34:15 PM by Privateofcourse »

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »

The only thing that I would change is kill the "Like Avast" button in version 6.  To me, that looks tacky.
That can be selected to be removed in V6.0.1027
Community features and the Welcome screen can now be turned on/off directly from program settings
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73657.0

dagrev

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Appearance is always subjective, thus a reasonable topic for a product with 140 mullion users.  I love the easy layout (unlike Norton which has layers and sub-layers so that it's difficult to remember where you had to go to change some things).  Knowing that Black and dull-Orange is "the" avast! color scheme it's unlikely to change.  But given that most people would not pick Black and dull-Orange as a combination for anything (how many of us have things that match this combo?), it's fair to say a good number of people would prefer some way to change this.

In the end this is not why we choose avast!, but it is nice to consider the possibility of more pleasing color possibilities.

thisiscool

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
who cares if kaspersky are planning to have an improved GUI?
as long as avast kickass with it's virus detection, im happy..
----------------------------------------
call 911.. avast just raped a virus
(>^_-)>

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
Respected all my elders and knowledgeable persons who gave their views.
       i highly appreciate that. But don't you think when avast! 7 or avast! 6.5 would come with some new interface some new colours. How many of you won't be excited to try and feel something new? I know all of you would be excited.
Moreover I want to tell you all that with time every thing must be changed.
   Most people might still love avast! 4.8 GUI, but then also it has been changed and we love it. What about keeping the current GUI but at the same time give some option to us so that we can customize it like some skin or like that......
       Even Outpost also changed its GUI for 7.5 version. avast! stand second to none. and thats what I want in GUI also.
      Waiting for your valuable reply
Ash
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

doktornotor

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
give some option to us so that we can customize it like some skin or like that......

Skins completely suck wrt technical support. This really isn't a media player.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
I vote for a black UI with black text.  (wait, that won't work...)

Ok, I know, 1980's Neon-green backdrop, eye-searing yellow text, white highlights(no wait, here is the money shot)......then paint the whole thing with Zebra Stripes!!!

Total win there, you must agree.

+1 let me find my eye drops! Rolls on floor LOL.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

LunarWolf

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »
The best GUI I have seen is ESET NOD32 V4, KIS 2009 and a avast 4.8 black skin.

That is why I always say, let the user of avast create their own skins like what Kaspersky did. That way, people who don't like the current GUI or want to improve it can create their own skin according to their preferences and tastes. I actually fancy a black skin I used once in avast 4.8 That was very cool and look very professioanl.

GTX66

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
There is no need to change the UI, If you want a Kaspersky looking UI then use Kaspersky.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
I totally agree, the current UI is too big and not minimal. it does not even fit in netbook's screens
Even other vendors have made modern UIs for their products, i agree that Avast's UI has been improved but its now time to design a better and more modern one

Not true. It fits on netbook screen perfectly. And i have the traditional netbook resolution of 1024x600. Lift sidebar turns into scroll menu but still it is perfectly usable on such small screen.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nesivos

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
The Avast GUI can be resized to fit your needs or desires.  Just move the mouse cursor to the edge or any side and wait for the double arrow.  Once it appears then resize.  The new size will also be there after you close the GUI and then reopen it.

In my opinion their no need for Avast to change the GUI.

In fact studies have shown that the colors used in the Avast GUI are much more relaxing and comfortable to eyes than the Kaspersky GUI. :)

privateofcourse

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
In fact studies have shown that the colors used in the Avast GUI are much more relaxing and comfortable to eyes than the Kaspersky GUI. :)

Eh? Comon, you're kidding, right? There's actually been a study comparing the benefits or merits of the Avast GUI colours over those of the Kapersky GUI? Please, I've got to read this study. Can you post a link.  ;D