Poll

Which browser do you use (most)?

Firefox
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer
Opera
Safari
Other (specify)

Author Topic: Poll: Which browser do you use (most)?  (Read 86301 times)

iRonzel

Re: Poll: Which browser do you use (most)?
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
Actually I'm using all of these (Google Chrome, IE and Firefox)  ;D
but still the Google chrome is best  ;D

Benchmark battle: Chrome vs. IE vs. Firefox

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20047314-12.html?tag=mncol;posts

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2011, 02:54:02 AM »
Benchmark battle: Chrome vs. IE vs. Firefox
http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20047314-12.html?tag=mncol;posts
Firefox 4 is the winner this time around.
The myth of Chrome being faster is this, a myth :)
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
They all seem pretty close in the things that matter. To me, the boot time test was done wrong. Who opens their browser with multiple tabs already set? I never do. They should have also tested them with a preset home page and no other tabs open since that's the way most people begin their browsing sessions.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
Firefox 4 is the winner this time around.
The myth of Chrome being faster is this, a myth :)
Ok, chart says FF is faster, but what about the things I'm seeing in my eyes in action? FF interface has never been responsible alike Chrome, also stability, FF during rendering pages (without any addon) is unresponsible for 1-2 seconds, when FF is working it make HDD busy too much, never seen such thing in Chrome, also in a page with lots of animated graphics (.GIF) FF almost use over 80% of CPU (until scroll up/down to get away from graphics) but Chrome does (even IE has not this problem). So how they call FF faster? How people keep using FF?
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Hermite15

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
when FF is working it make HDD busy too much, never seen such thing in Chrome

??? hmm... no offense but I see just the contrary here ;D Firefox is still way too slow at startup, but once it's up and running, it is at least as fast as Chrome. As to extra hard disk activity while browsing, launching a link in a new tab etc... I do see that in Chrome daily, and already reported that on their bug tracker btw. Firefox doesn't have an issue like that and never did. On my system it comes from one thing and nothing else in Chrome: the number of extensions... not one extension in particular, but the number of them. The more loaded, the more swapping to HDD happens when browsing... and strangely this doesn't slow down the browsing.
 At the opposite, a big number of extensions will slow down the startup of Firefox (especially on 3.*), but will never affect the browsing behavior (speed, hdd swap).

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
I agree that having too many Extensions installed in Chrome slow it down during startup as they need open in separated process, so if you use things like multiple on-access protection or security tools like SpywareBlaster it will be worse (yeah it really slow things down!).

But during navigation, Chrome is really fast and light for me, but Firefox is TOO slow. so maybe it's based on different hardwares and Different software configuration we have.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Hermite15

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
yeah I didn't mention Chrome startup times, very much affected by the number of loading extensions, but not as much as Firefox is ... (just talking about start up here).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
Firefox will always be at a slight disadvantage against IE as far as startup goes as much of IE is embedded into the OS and already loaded. Of the many times I have tried Chrome I never had it installed long enough to really measure start times (never really got on with it at all), so I can't say.

I start firefox once a day and that usually has 3-5 tabs opening (ones that I had loaded when I closed it), so I really don't worry about its initial start time of about 12-15 seconds with my various tabs and a shed load of add-ons.

Personally, speed isn't everything and they are all much alike in many areas or the time differences really aren't that huge. Our systems are however unlikely to reproduce these results as they aren't unencumbered test bed systems.

People choose browsers for different reasons, some simply because that was what they had installed. For me it has to suit how I work and my requirements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
yeah, thing is Firefox has by far the slowest startup times and that's not good, even if there's been improvements since 3.*, ie FF4 starts a little faster. This said IE9 starts instantly, while Chrome and Opera are close to that. I don't keep a browser opened 24/7, not even during a whole windows session, applications are meant to be closed and reopened at will. Oh yeah... the worse with FF3/4 startup tmes are cold startup... Mozilla is aware of that... they're supposed to be working on it...they might make it on FF7 ??? ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
This said IE9 starts instantly
I must be unlucky... Never achieved that...

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
This said IE9 starts instantly
I must be unlucky... Never achieved that...
It is true. It starts almost instantly, so does chrome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
Not the first time for me. From the second and beyond, yes.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
Not the first time for me. From the second and beyond, yes.
Yup, cold start is a bit slower(A second?) but not too much.

Hermite15

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
yes I spoke about that once with someone from Mozilla, about the amazing startup times of IE9, and the guy hinted that IE9 might get pre-loaded when booting Windows... I'm not saying that it's the case, that is just possible. This said I can't see anything in task manager proving that.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »
For me nothing starts any faster than Opera. Having said that, Chrome is my default browser.
While I'm using the cr-48 laptop Google was good enough to send me, Chrome is also my only choice.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet